Daily check in July 12, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in July 12, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Let's get started.
LogicsHere

Re: Daily check in July 12, 2020

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

We've got a sunny, mid-80s day in store for us today, but looks like scattered showers back in the forecast for tomorrow.

Today I will refrain from looking at any of the news portals or You Tube as I need to give myself a break from my anger with the world's current situation. I plan on pulling out my coloring page, work on a few puzzles and there are at least 2 Christmas movies I want to look at.

Today is a day for people go nuts about as today is National Pecan Pie Day. If you like nuts, pie, and sweets, then today is your day. Unfortunately pecan pie is TOO sweet for me and it's probably a good thing I don't have any pecans in the house or I'd be munching on them all day. So if pecan pie is your thing, then go for it. :)

Have a nice Sunday.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Sunday morning all,

Another normal Florida summer day ahead. Highs in the mid 90's with a heat index around 110F. Rain now and then. I acted on Logics Day to visit the Lonely and decided to visit my neighbor who has spinal problems, took a fall, ruptured her intestine. She has been home nearly a month. I had not seen her outside for days. I used their new roof as an excuse. She opened the door. She looked poorly and called for her husband to show me the roof. During the tour of the roof, he revealed that she had been in the emergency room until 3 am. In horrible pain in her hip. Morphine came up in the conversation, but I am not sure if they gave it to her in the hospital or sent her home with it. They are a very loving, do everything together couple. He is not looking well either. I asked my neighbor across the street to put both of them on her church's prayer list.

Hub's is reading more in the book Supercycles. I am getting daily updates. Currently the issue is "risk". Given the fear of Covid and the frequency that the word risk comes up, it was an interesting discussion.

Today, I must make the archway trellis I have been planning. I have all the ordered connectors at last. The vines are reaching out and grabbing me when I go by the trellis. I should be able to complete it in one day.

I have collected 6 trashcans of monkey puzzle tree thorny limbs from my neighbor's tree. The trash people hate this tree. So do I. I hope they will pick them. Nasty tree.

We got our mail in ballots yesterday, so I need to begin researching the candidates.

Grocery store visit to get more on sale beef roasts on the schedule. Planning to buy some Goya brand seasonings if there is any left. Since I found out that they come from PR, they may be exactly what I want for my pigeon peas. Island foods need island seasonings, Tex-Mex isn't the same. Not Cajun either. Also realized the stir-fry seasoning from the bulk food place is not for stir-fry. Hubs said it tasted like a cinnamon mix. I think it is and got put in the wrong container. Educational.

Today, I am grateful for my good health. Have a good day everyone.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning friends,
As expected I was awake about 3:30. I did force myself to doze off an on until about 6:30. I will be going to Church here shortly. I will mask up.

Visited DS1 & Family last night. My parents had been there earlier in the day. DGS was over a while back, ate an apple and wanted to plant the seeds. They never took. But Mom and Dad decided to buy 2 apple trees. DGS6 took me out to show them to me. One is red and the other is green.

Today I will pop over to Mom and Dad's for a bit, but that is all I have on my agenda. Yesterday I finally put together the shoe rack I bought 2 weeks ago. I found a pair of orthopedic flip flops I was missing.

Oh, I need to contact DS2 and see how he is doing. If He got his car repaired and if he found a job.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I will be heading out for my morning walk about soon as even though I actually did do over 10k steps yesterday I missed my striding (okay mincing as my short little body does not stride under any conditions) around the city early in the morning.

Mass here is still being streamed and I will take advantage of that fact. Our province only allows 30 to gather in one space, following all social distancing protocols, as well as hand washing, disinfecting after each Mass and masking. With me having to undergo surgery hopefully in the near future I am not taking any chances. So we will be streaming the Mass here for another week or so. To tell you the truth I was terrified during the workshop yesterday (which was a rehash of what we did last summer) even though social distancing was happening and there were maybe 17 in a place big enough to hold 200.

Today will be a list making day, along with a trip out to my sister-in-laws to meet the newest arrival to the extended family. According to the guest list there will be about 16 of us and social distancing will apply. None of the relatives from the family across the border will be able to attend. I do think I will take my mask along though, just in case I start to feel a bit panicked.

Hubby and I have been discussing what we want to replace the 20 year old cedar with. We have settled on getting some grape vines and training them to climb the wall of the shed. Now just to clean the accumulated clutter from in front of the shed, and rid the ground of the roots of the cedar.

Frugally speaking today will be a no spend day. Can't say no drive as the property I will be visiting is about 10 miles out of the city. I will still be using up yarn making mittens but many of the yarn ball leftovers are not of sufficient yardage to make them. I will move on to orphan yarn skeins instead and keep the others (unless they are very large) for using in a striped blanket of some sort. Meals will be made from scratch and eaten at home. Of course there is the usual walking for exercise, decluttering, walking for exercise and entertainment wise I will be knitting, or sewing, or reading, or watching free television (have I mentioned I love my mini computer controlled television). Really just a normal day on the old homestead.

Supper tonight will be a roast beef along with a salad, roast potatoes, and roast carrots. Leftovers will of course be packaged up and placed in the freezer or fridge to be used in other meals down the road.

Joy is sitting by the fire in the evening with the one you love.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
rinty

Post by rinty »

Mid afternoon here so done tons ;)

as it is a hot sunny day I have followed my meal plan and am making a heavy lamb casserole in the crockpot . the ideal winter meal :roll: It smells amazing x

yesterday we celebrated like loons when Dh returned from the allotment bearing.........a CAULIFLOWER ! it was a big bugger and all. Most impressed as we normally fail miserably .

I batch cooked and made 3 dozen cookies which were met with wild enthusiasm .

last week of work beckons. I love my little " bubble " of little ones. Next year a bubble of 96 , that, with the best will in the world sounds like hell. If it implodes I shall do a runner first and ask questions afterwards. A collegue is home without pay as it is so its unlikely they will rush back to that.

In another world I would be driving to see a freidsm new baby, but as the granma hasn't been able to I don't know what to do with the gift. postage would eb very high and she lives 3 miles away. Knock a door run, maybe ???????

DH also brought back apples and blackberries as well and is hopeful for crumble and custard x

I can't settle so maybe some sewing as that needs concentration.