Frugal, Frugaler, Frugalest

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Frugal, Frugaler, Frugalest

Post by HappyDaze »

I've had some time to think this weekend (dangerous Friends, dangerous) and I've been thinking a lot about the frugal things I do and the fact that I want to make my life easier as I get older and am in a better financial position.

Take beans for example - I always get dried. It's not that they're so much work to cook them - but it's some work and it's something I'm sick of doing. I've decided that when my about 2-year supply of dried beans is gone, I will start buying canned beans (on sale, store brand, etc.). Still a frugal option.

Thinking pizza - making your own is the most frugal option, getting a frozen pizza is less frugal, getting take out is a lot less frugal. I always make my own - I might start buying a frozen one every now and then.

What other categories can you think of that have a "frugal, frugaler, frugalest" option?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
ChristmasTrees

Re: Frugal, Frugaler, Frugalest

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Good question!
I am thinking frozen pie crusts. I always make my own for pies and quiches. It would be a time saver.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:10 pm Good question!
I am thinking frozen pie crusts. I always make my own for pies and quiches. It would be a time saver.
Ah, yes Trees, pie crust is a good one - I always make my own - but I want to bake less as time goes on so may not stock as much flour, etc. but just buy the pie crust already done. Still more frugal than a pie from the bakery department!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Frozen biscuits for me. I did not learn to make biscuits until I was grown and find them quite fiddly. My husband loves homemade, but I am absolutely fine now with frozen ones. Can make exactly how many I need and not spend 20 minutes messing about with them.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:03 pm I've had some time to think this weekend (dangerous Friends, dangerous) and I've been thinking a lot about the frugal things I do and the fact that I want to make my life easier as I get older and am in a better financial position.

Take beans for example - I always get dried. It's not that they're so much work to cook them - but it's some work and it's something I'm sick of doing. I've decided that when my about 2-year supply of dried beans is gone, I will start buying canned beans (on sale, store brand, etc.). Still a frugal option.

Thinking pizza - making your own is the most frugal option, getting a frozen pizza is less frugal, getting take out is a lot less frugal. I always make my own - I might start buying a frozen one every now and then.

What other categories can you think of that have a "frugal, frugaler, frugalest" option?
And if it is only making beans for one, yes buying a can is easier, unless you freeze them.

What do you find hard about making beans. I make them in the crockpot. I love them, but the COD says I make too many. It is just one pound bag. But he doesn't eat things that have been frozen - who knows why.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

any bread/flour product

Yes i could make my own tortillas, bread, etc. But it is easier to just buy a package of flour or corn tortillas.