Where are LittleMiss and Dgflorida?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Where are LittleMiss and Dgflorida?

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:38 pm
I thought she had an outdoor sink & stove, but maybe I didn't follow her story close enough.
No stove she used electrical things like a crock pot. Her sink was the sink saved from her kitchen remodel. It did not have any plumbing attached. She used the hose for water.
Janet Alliesmama

randamax

Post by randamax »

Though I am a long time member of this forum, I haven't been around in a while. However, I do check in and read from time to time. There are some exceptions, but by and large, there is a reason that I haven't been participating in the forum. I know that this will not be a popular opinion, and I know that many of you will not agree - and that's fine. Posting this may mean that I'm not welcome to come back, and honestly, I'm okay with that too. But it's something I've been thinking about for a while, and I feel compelled to put it out there. Some of you may be angry when you read it, but I hope that you will, instead, take it to heart and maybe see it from a different perspective.

Okay, here goes...

Something I've noticed over the last couple of years is that, if members SHARE the same idea/perspective/opinion/point of view with someone, everything is idyllic. Every once in a while someone will post a new idea/etc. Sometimes it's met with interest, sometimes it's completely ignored, ...but many times it's met with criticism. I'm not sure why that is, but it seems to be. If it's an idea posted by someone you like, it's usually okay. If it's posted by someone you may dislike or have had disagreements with, or you don't share the same perspective, that's typically where the criticism kicks in. It's not always done in an 'obvious' kind of way, but there's an underlying 'tone' if you will. It's clearly met with disdain.

What do I mean? Since the subject of this thread includes DG, I'll use her as my example. Someone simply asks if she's okay because they haven't seen her around the forum lately. UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!! It's been suggested that she's sitting out the duration due to political reasons. From what I've read, many of you disagree with her political perspective, and don't hesitate to tell her so. She never fires back at any of you, but you all persist in subtle ways. She's put her idea out there of an outdoor kitchen. Whatever it's configuration, it seems to work for her. Whether or not you agree with it, do you commend her on her initiative? Nope. Just comment about it not being a 'real' kitchen because it doesn't have an outdoor sink - or whatever other thing you think it needs to qualify to make it a real kitchen. Heaven forbid she use a (oh, the horror!) a garden hose as a water source. Apparently, using water from a garden hose will kill you these days. It didn't seem to have any effect on us when we were growing up and drank from the hose when we were kids, but nowadays, not a drop shall cross your lips! I shudder to think what you all would do if you were stranded and your only water source was a plain, old garden hose. Clearly you'd die of dehydration before pursing your lips for a drink. DG referred to someone or a group of someones as 'Karens'. So? It's a THING, people. She didn't make it up and she's using the term in the current vernacular in which it's meant. You all see it as a sign of disrespect. So be it. Recently I've read posts where several of you have made the same reference in the same way, and no one gets all bent out of shape about *that*.

When I first started coming here years ago, it was a friendly place to share fun, frugal, interesting ideas with like-minded people. I loved it! Not every idea worked for me and my situation, but I loved hearing of the success others had. It's like anything else - you use what works for you and leave it at that. Over time, it's unfortunately lost a lot of that charm and positivity. There's still some of that sense of camaraderie, but often it's reserved only for those with whom you deem worthy. I'm truly saddened by this - and, for what it's worth - that's why I stopped spending much of my time and energy here. I do wish you all well, and maybe one day, we can all learn to agree to disagree on certain things. Until then...

ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

randamax wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:05 pm
Though I am a long time member of this forum, I haven't been around in a while. However, I do check in and read from time to time. There are some exceptions, but by and large, there is a reason that I haven't been participating in the forum. I know that this will not be a popular opinion, and I know that many of you will not agree - and that's fine. Posting this may mean that I'm not welcome to come back, and honestly, I'm okay with that too. But it's something I've been thinking about for a while, and I feel compelled to put it out there. Some of you may be angry when you read it, but I hope that you will, instead, take it to heart and maybe see it from a different perspective.

Okay, here goes...

Something I've noticed over the last couple of years is that, if members SHARE the same idea/perspective/opinion/point of view with someone, everything is idyllic. Every once in a while someone will post a new idea/etc. Sometimes it's met with interest, sometimes it's completely ignored, ...but many times it's met with criticism. I'm not sure why that is, but it seems to be. If it's an idea posted by someone you like, it's usually okay. If it's posted by someone you may dislike or have had disagreements with, or you don't share the same perspective, that's typically where the criticism kicks in. It's not always done in an 'obvious' kind of way, but there's an underlying 'tone' if you will. It's clearly met with disdain.

What do I mean? Since the subject of this thread includes DG, I'll use her as my example. Someone simply asks if she's okay because they haven't seen her around the forum lately. UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!! It's been suggested that she's sitting out the duration due to political reasons. From what I've read, many of you disagree with her political perspective, and don't hesitate to tell her so. She never fires back at any of you, but you all persist in subtle ways. She's put her idea out there of an outdoor kitchen. Whatever it's configuration, it seems to work for her. Whether or not you agree with it, do you commend her on her initiative? Nope. Just comment about it not being a 'real' kitchen because it doesn't have an outdoor sink - or whatever other thing you think it needs to qualify to make it a real kitchen. Heaven forbid she use a (oh, the horror!) a garden hose as a water source. Apparently, using water from a garden hose will kill you these days. It didn't seem to have any effect on us when we were growing up and drank from the hose when we were kids, but nowadays, not a drop shall cross your lips! I shudder to think what you all would do if you were stranded and your only water source was a plain, old garden hose. Clearly you'd die of dehydration before pursing your lips for a drink. DG referred to someone or a group of someones as 'Karens'. So? It's a THING, people. She didn't make it up and she's using the term in the current vernacular in which it's meant. You all see it as a sign of disrespect. So be it. Recently I've read posts where several of you have made the same reference in the same way, and no one gets all bent out of shape about *that*.

When I first started coming here years ago, it was a friendly place to share fun, frugal, interesting ideas with like-minded people. I loved it! Not every idea worked for me and my situation, but I loved hearing of the success others had. It's like anything else - you use what works for you and leave it at that. Over time, it's unfortunately lost a lot of that charm and positivity. There's still some of that sense of camaraderie, but often it's reserved only for those with whom you deem worthy. I'm truly saddened by this - and, for what it's worth - that's why I stopped spending much of my time and energy here. I do wish you all well, and maybe one day, we can all learn to agree to disagree on certain things. Until then...
You just put into words what some of us think. I thought political views were off topic, but yet if you agree with them, it is not.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

randamax wrote:

Okay, here goes...

Actually Randa she fired back at me numerous times, and then deletes those posts. I have saved those posts in a folder. You were gone for a very long time and just started reposting over the last few months, have you gone back and read every single post that was written.

As far as political posts (and this will answer ownedbydogs as well) Erin decided that it was okay to, talk politics as long as people stayed respectful and the posts were clearly marked as political. Which for the most part they are a few sneak by me in other posts.

I am sorry you feel the way you do. I read every single post written. Some I reply on or ask a question, most are just read as I really do need to get time away from the computer. Like you said use what works for you, which I do. If a new tip works I always go back and thank the person who posted it.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

randamax wrote:

Okay, here goes...

I am one who thought DGFlorida had very weird frugal ideas long before Trump, back when she lived in Texas and was DGClearLake. Frugalaaron once said I wasn’t broad minded about DG’s extreme frugal ideas and he was right. Making curtains and house skirts out of stained t-shirts, using the dryer vent to heat her home in winter (not that we have much winter), putting up plywood on windows in winter and being so extreme about her electric bill that she reprimands her husband if he wants the a/c lower than 84 degrees. And yes, washing dishes with the garden hose when she has a brand new kitchen.

We do have a lot of camerarderie among MOST members, praying for sick relatives and friends (and pets), mourning deaths and illnesses and celebrating successes.

Personally I don’t like fake people, those who speak or write not from the heart but in a stilted, flowery way. Perhaps it’s just me but that is how I read DGFlorida’s posts. I also don’t like ruminating to slip in political or social comments. Say it upfront, good or bad.

As for politics you might note the recent posts about putting a GOP running mate on the Democratic ticket. Differing opinions but very civil.

I remember when you first started posting again you wondered why we all tick off chores in the check in and don’t talk more about fun. Personally I’m alone with no siblings, children or close relatives. I do have real like friends but it is nice to share my mundane life with people who care here on the forum.