Daily Check-in August 3, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Daily Check-in August 3, 2020

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Today is the calm before the storm. It will be a humid, but sunny day (mid 80s) with rain late tonight from the storm Isaias through tomorrow.

Up early this morning, 3:00A (still 6 hours of sleep thereabouts); but know I will at least lay down a while this afternoon if not for a short nap just to close my eyes for a while.

On Saturday (mentioned this briefly in my post that day), I pulled out everything stored under my bed which I keep together in plastic bags, dusted them off, went through them and pulled out a few more things to toss. In doing so, I found 3 jigsaw puzzles I thought I had donated along with a jigsaw puzzle mat of which I now have two because I had bought a second one after thinking I gave it away also. I then swept underneath and moved my nightstands and cleaned behind them (not as bad as I had expected).

I have my Monday chores which I will start when I'm done with this but will sweep later when neighbor is up and out on her morning walk. I also have a quantity of cardboard boxes that I had stored under my bed for future use but decided to get rid of them. I kept about 3 or 4 small ones. I'll be taking them to the garbage area this morning.

Today I want to do some reading and work on my web site. I haven't added a new section in several years and recently started researching English Country Villages in Victorian England. I also want to get started on a jigsaw puzzle and finish the coloring page I've been working on. If time I'll try to do some reading; I've got 2 different books started, one by Debbie MaComber and the other a Regency based novella.

Tonight's dinner will be a pork chop with buttered noodles and mixed vegetables.

Today I'm going again for 2 special occasions.

Today is "Grab Some Nuts Day" but are we talking about the nuts we eat or the nuts that go with bolts, hmmm. Or could we be talking about one or some of our "nutty" (in a fun way of course) friends. The creator of this occasion is unknown and there is no official documentation for this special day. SO, I guess you can celebrate the day by either eating some nuts, tightening some nuts that have come loose (or is that screws LOL) or having some fun with a "nutty" friend. That's it in a nutshell, folks.

And since we happen to be in August, how about we celebrate "National Watermelon Day" sponsored by the National Watermelon Promotion Board and created in the year 2010. It's not a national holiday in the truest sense as that would take an act of Congress or the President. Watermelon is sweet, tasty and refreshing. It is one of summer's favorite fruits.

Of course, most of us eat watermelon basically in the summer months, but stores carry watermelon 12 months of the year.

Watermelons come in various sizes from the home grown variest that can fit in the palm of your hand to ones weighing hundreds of pounds each. The world record for the heaviest watermelon goes to Chris Kent of Sevierville, Tennessee. It came in a 350.5 pounds on October 4, 2013.

Have a great day all and don't forget to grab some nuts or a slice of watermelon.
snowangel729

Re: Daily Check-in August 3, 2020

Post by snowangel729 »

Yay for watermelon day!

I'm up early because dd had to be at work at 5 am this morning. She works till 2 pm and then I'll pick her up. Dds bio brother(youngest) came to stay with us again for another day or two. He usually plays with ds and gets to spend time with Dd. We've been letting the two boys come over as they want so they can spend time with the kids and it takes some strain of dm so she can rest some.

Plan on eating at home. I have pancake mix and sausages to cook for breakfast. Yesterday I made five pounds of chicken breasts with roasted potatoes and carrots in the instapot to last for a couple of meals.

I decided to try out Erin's recipe for dishwasher tablets, I'm still waiting for them all to finish drying out so I can pop them out and place in a container.

Going to call a couple contractors for pricing and estimates to fix our floors.. we have a couple places sinking in and also our electricity is having some difficulties. So I want to have someone take a look. I also have to call financial aid about a couple if questions I had regarding my aid for next year.

Plans to rain most of the day here so will otherwise be spending my day inside with the kiddos. Maybe painting or something to amuse them

Have a good day!

Snowangel
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I am not sleeping my best in the unfamiliar bed in my spare room, but what's a Mom to do. It is nice having company. Ds got his new-to-him car yesterday. It is a basic model. The Prius had lots of bell and whistles since it was originally mine. He has to get used to using an actual key in the doors and ignition instead of the key fob where he could touch the door handle and lock or unlock. And he had gotten used to the backup camera.

Today after work, I plan to go to the police station to have my fingerprints taken in ink so I can send them in to my client. I guess the company that accepts electronic fingerprints does not operate in my state. So I will have to go to a local police station and wait for an officer to be available.

Since yesterday morning, I have not had any sinus issues, so I guess it must have been weather-related.

Have a great day,
Maggie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

We decided to start our walk a half hour later, so I sort of got to sleep in. Sheesh i needed it with all the interruptions last night.

The COD slamming doors going outside. Then the smell of food. I have to get up to make sure he turned off the stove. One dog kept hearing things so would get up to investigate.

I will surely need to nap later today.

It is going to be warm, warm, warm. I tell you I hate August.

That is all
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I am up fairly early today mainly because it is Monday and the to do list is fairly long. I also have a few things that need to be picked so DS has a lovely care package (need to cut the squares and divide as well and package the apple turnover portion he is getting).

Our internet was in and out yesterday evening, which made watching television, or doing anything internet based loads of fun. I think whatever happened was fixed last night because today seems just fine. We will see what the rest of the day brings.

Frugally speaking this will be another no spend day. We frittered away money last month so this month I need to rein it in. Though at some point I would like to get to the city and stock up on some fabric, and yarn again. Just in case of the second wave, and just because I think my friend needs a bit of a break from her Hubby and looking after her Dad. Visiting Chapters and getting a new Kobo would be ideal as well.

That means saving my cash and getting ready for that as well. Love me some hobby and reading shopping. Of course we would probably hit Costco for a few items as well.

Laundry will actually get all hung out once again. Love the smell of line dried clothing, and as our water and sewer bill will be rising again shortly, I am glad we have a energy efficient, water miser type of washer. I am hoping that it rains soon so we will not be needing to water gardens or lawns for awhile.

Meals will be made by using what is on hand, and my goodness there is a great deal on hand. The fridge is full of leftovers, so tonight, instead of what is on the menu those will be used up. Definitely need to clear things out.

Once DS goes home I will be able to finish cleaning up the pantry in that closet, strip and remake his bed, and give it a good dusting. I have to fix the blind in the room as Eiko kind of pulled it down a bit or at least knocked the roll out of the lines that hold it.

I have not knitted (other than on the temperature blanket) or sewn in the days that DS has been home so I need to start up on those projects once again. He is undecided on what he would like me to make him for Christmas, so I guess it will be up to me and my imagination. He has lots of quilts, lots of afghans. and he says he has enough soup and plate bowls. Perhaps some hot pads or a BBQ apron like I made his Dad (could do that for both the DS's).

I will be heading out for my morning walk shortly but will start the laundry first, and when I get back I should be able to pick in the garden and water my plants.

Off to get some more reading of the forum completed and then starting my day. I definitely need another cup of coffee.

Today I am grateful that DS came home to spend some time with us. He helped Hubby with the painting of the truck, took flowers out to his sister, set up the android box so that Hubby could watch Monk (Hubby's Smart TV was only set for Netflix and he could only get certain apps in his app store Prime not being one of them) and enjoyed sitting on our deck with a cold adult beverage and visiting the afternoons away.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends. Watermelon sure sounds good. Yum!

Creative, I totally understand what you mean by all the days running together.

This morning I’ll go to mom’s house and work In the yard. I hope that the back yard does not need cutting but if it does that will be my task for the day.

I ordered two Rx from Publix. Neither have any refills remaining so they’ll have to check with my doctor. I’m waiting until later in the month to order my most expensive Rx.

I did go into a Publix yesterday for a few things. I also put in a Walmart order to pick up tomorrow. I’ll get the colored pencils that Logics recommended but decided to order a coloring book from Amazon. It will arrive tomorrow.

Pippi ate fairly well yesterday. Her next appointment is tomorrow.

I was in a real funk this weekend. Too many thoughts wondering if this is now life for the foreseeable future. I shouldn’t complain because I have everything I need and pretty good health. I need to be more active.

On Wednesday I’m going to get together with my friends. I’m really looking forward to it! We are going to the same restaurant we went to before with covered outdoor dining. Last time my tooth was bothering me so I’ll enjoy it much more this time.

I’m watching a new show on Apple TV+ (free subscription when I bought my iPod touch). It’s called a Little Voice about a young aspiring singer in NYC. Pretty good.

Have a good day.