Daily Check In August 5th

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Daily Check In August 5th

Post by rinty »

Hi

Checking in after seeing more news re their being an onion shortage.

It seems silly to say the allotment is a blessing but it HAS been and , with news like that , it continues to be so. We grew 4 times as many onions as we had planned to, all of which have grown extremely well. Thnak goodness.

I am using the word " prompted" . Just sayin '

We are lucky ( more than lucky ) This pandemic so far has meant we have saved another £5K tucked away.

DS fractious , hence early start, and no, he hasn't left the house since the haircut ( oh, well )

Today a yellow sticker meal deal DH picked up. Yup, I freed him in late June ;) I may well lock him down again in September though when ( IF!!!) I go back to work. I need to get the car sorted today as well as a phone doctors appointment re DS.

I am also making something for a school display board. I had loads of large green leaves, and I thought of turning them into a hanging branch with the words " hang in there " and a big cartoony sloth. They could have their achievemtns and mindful colouring there. watcha think ???? Works for me ;)

DH off to the allotment for more corn and cabbages. Our onions are drying.

Frugally I turned out my wardrobe and found 3 outfits that hadn't fit that now do :D HURRAH !!!!

WE had planned to lose 50lbs each this year. Well, not with the amount I cook and bake but we have lost and kept off 20lbs each. When slimmers world starts up agin and I have to weigh in weekly ( horror ) hopefully get back on board.

Though I would rather have chub than turkey neck ;)

Jackie I got your letter, thank you ! Can I ask is it possible to delete prvate messges as my inbox is now full so it needs emptying .

Off to scrub toilets, welcome to my world x

mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check In August 5th

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,
Rinty, an onion shortage? My Mom would not know how to cook without onions. I had not heard that, or is that a UK thing? Edited: Oh, the salmonella issue with red onions, I get it now. Congrats on losing weight.

I enjoyed my evening last night immensely. DS2 had the night off. I gave him some cash (i had found a $20 bill in the pocket of a pair of shorts. And he went grocery shopping and made a lovely dinner. He made a Marsala-inspired chicken (I had Chardonnay, not Marsala), roasted some green beans and a wonderful Mushroom-Parmesan pilaf . While cooking he had on a fun playlist of songs. He works tonight and tomorrow. His job is at the high school north of his college house. But the city says infected people need to quarantine for 14 days and then have a negative test or wait 5 more days. He has a friend moving into his college apartment next week, but his roommate will not for a few week. They have offered to let him stay with them.

That's about all my adventures for today.
Have a great day,
Maggie

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Getting ready to head out for the morning walk

The yard finally got mowed late yesterday afternoon. So much better now.

Will be doing a morning socially distanced breakfast get together.

After that come home and relax. Yesterday was a long day.

Have a good one

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

rinty wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:54 am
Hi

Checking in after seeing more news re their being an onion shortage.

It seems silly to say the allotment is a blessing but it HAS been and , with news like that , it continues to be so. We grew 4 times as many onions as we had planned to, all of which have grown extremely well. Thnak goodness.

I am using the word " prompted" . Just sayin '

We are lucky ( more than lucky ) This pandemic so far has meant we have saved another £5K tucked away.

DS fractious , hence early start, and no, he hasn't left the house since the haircut ( oh, well )

Today a yellow sticker meal deal DH picked up. Yup, I freed him in late June ;) I may well lock him down again in September though when ( IF!!!) I go back to work. I need to get the car sorted today as well as a phone doctors appointment re DS.

I am also making something for a school display board. I had loads of large green leaves, and I thought of turning them into a hanging branch with the words " hang in there " and a big cartoony sloth. They could have their achievemtns and mindful colouring there. watcha think ???? Works for me ;)

DH off to the allotment for more corn and cabbages. Our onions are drying.

Frugally I turned out my wardrobe and found 3 outfits that hadn't fit that now do :D HURRAH !!!!

WE had planned to lose 50lbs each this year. Well, not with the amount I cook and bake but we have lost and kept off 20lbs each. When slimmers world starts up agin and I have to weigh in weekly ( horror ) hopefully get back on board.

Though I would rather have chub than turkey neck ;)

Jackie I got your letter, thank you ! Can I ask is it possible to delete prvate messges as my inbox is now full so it needs emptying .

Off to scrub toilets, welcome to my world x
Rinty I am glad you have extra onions. I could not cook without them. I remember a patient of mine telling me neither she nor her fiancé liked onions. She said when she found that out she knew they were made for each other..lol. Told her I was glad they found each other since I personally could not be with someone that did not like them. lol.Enjoy!!

Congrats on your weight loss.

Your school board with the green leaves sound really cute.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

mbrudnic wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:22 am
Good Morning,
Rinty, an onion shortage? My Mom would not know how to cook without onions. I had not heard that, or is that a UK thing? Edited: Oh, the salmonella issue with red onions, I get it now. Congrats on losing weight.

I enjoyed my evening last night immensely. DS2 had the night off. I gave him some cash (i had found a $20 bill in the pocket of a pair of shorts. And he went grocery shopping and made a lovely dinner. He made a Marsala-inspired chicken (I had Chardonnay, not Marsala), roasted some green beans and a wonderful Mushroom-Parmesan pilaf . While cooking he had on a fun playlist of songs. He works tonight and tomorrow. His job is at the high school north of his college house. But the city says infected people need to quarantine for 14 days and then have a negative test or wait 5 more days. He has a friend moving into his college apartment next week, but his roommate will not for a few week. They have offered to let him stay with them.

That's about all my adventures for today.
Have a great day,
Maggie
Maggie your son is a great chef. I know you are enjoying him being there with you for the company and to have him cook too that is an extra bonus. Enjoy both while he is there.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. It is (55 F) ( 13 C) The record in St. Louis is( 55 F) not sure they went that low in the city but living in a rural area we are usually a little bit cooler than they are. My brother and I call this Minnesota weather since this is what it would sometimes feel like at the lake house. First thing in the morning Dad would build a fire in the wood stove to take the chill off. Later on he would have a furnace installed but there is nothing like waking up on a crisp morning to a fire in the wood stove and Mom frying bacon and making pancakes.. ah the good old days.. Miss the good old days and especially my parents.
I had a bad night and finally took two generic Benadryl. Finally fell asleep on the couch in the family room watching TV. Now have a druggy, tired, and sleepy feeling. Drinking regular coffee to help me stay awake.

I am out of store bought gluten free bread. It is so nice and cool I am going to try to bake something in my toaster convection oven. I am not sure how well it will do since the toaster is only toasting on one side. Not sure how the baking cycle is working but I will find out..lol.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama