Daily Check In August 5th

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check In August 5th

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Thank you to all of you who are keeping Pippi (and me) in your thoughts. I go back and forth as to whether she will be with me for some time or whether the end is near. She is sleeping comfortably right now and had a good breakfast.

Today I’m having lunch with my friends. I’m SO looking forward to it. FaceTime is not the same. On our last restaurant visit in June my tooth was bothering me so I’ll enjoy the food much more today.

No word yet on my Rx but even if they are ready today I’ll go tomorrow morning when it is less crowded. If they are not ready then I’ll have to figure out a good time since Friday morning Pippi has her vet visit early.

I was able to get the aspirin, various fruit and the colored pencils among other things at Walmart pickup.

Radio City Rockettes Christmas show was cancelled for 2020 yesterday. Rose Parade for New Years Day has been cancelled. The figure skating association is going to TRY to have some competitions this fall, basically divided by country and continent. So Skate America, the first competition, would have skaters from the U.S. who train in the U.S. and those international skaters (French and Israeli, for example) who live and train the U.S. Skate Canada would include Canadians and others such as American Jason Brown who trains in Toronto. Probably no spectators. There is usually a competition in China but there may not be enough local skaters for that one. I hope the ISU can pull it off!

Have a good day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

alliesmama4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:55 am Good morning. It is (55 F) ( 13 C) The record in St. Louis is( 55 F) not sure they went that low in the city but living in a rural area we are usually a little bit cooler than they are. My brother and I call this Minnesota weather since this is what it would sometimes feel like at the lake house. First thing in the morning Dad would build a fire in the wood stove to take the chill off. Later on he would have a furnace installed but there is nothing like waking up on a crisp morning to a fire in the wood stove and Mom frying bacon and making pancakes.. ah the good old days.. Miss the good old days and especially my parents.
I had a bad night and finally took two generic Benadryl. Finally fell asleep on the couch in the family room watching TV. Now have a druggy, tired, and sleepy feeling. Drinking regular coffee to help me stay awake.

I am out of store bought gluten free bread. It is so nice and cool I am going to try to bake something in my toaster convection oven. I am not sure how well it will do since the toaster is only toasting on one side. Not sure how the baking cycle is working but I will find out..lol.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Your cool weather sounds fantastic!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

rinty wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:54 am Hi

Checking in after seeing more news re their being an onion shortage.

It seems silly to say the allotment is a blessing but it HAS been and , with news like that , it continues to be so. We grew 4 times as many onions as we had planned to, all of which have grown extremely well. Thnak goodness.

I am using the word " prompted" . Just sayin '

We are lucky ( more than lucky ) This pandemic so far has meant we have saved another £5K tucked away.

DS fractious , hence early start, and no, he hasn't left the house since the haircut ( oh, well )

Today a yellow sticker meal deal DH picked up. Yup, I freed him in late June ;) I may well lock him down again in September though when ( IF!!!) I go back to work. I need to get the car sorted today as well as a phone doctors appointment re DS.

I am also making something for a school display board. I had loads of large green leaves, and I thought of turning them into a hanging branch with the words " hang in there " and a big cartoony sloth. They could have their achievemtns and mindful colouring there. watcha think ???? Works for me ;)

DH off to the allotment for more corn and cabbages. Our onions are drying.

Frugally I turned out my wardrobe and found 3 outfits that hadn't fit that now do :D HURRAH !!!!

WE had planned to lose 50lbs each this year. Well, not with the amount I cook and bake but we have lost and kept off 20lbs each. When slimmers world starts up agin and I have to weigh in weekly ( horror ) hopefully get back on board.

Though I would rather have chub than turkey neck ;)

Jackie I got your letter, thank you ! Can I ask is it possible to delete prvate messges as my inbox is now full so it needs emptying .

Off to scrub toilets, welcome to my world x
Yes you can delete private messages, but it seems to have a glitch and they group that makes the software for the forum is working on fixing it. I believe Aaron is giving them a hand. Mine is full as well so just hopefully waiting for the fix.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

mbrudnic wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:22 am Good Morning,
Rinty, an onion shortage? My Mom would not know how to cook without onions. I had not heard that, or is that a UK thing? Edited: Oh, the salmonella issue with red onions, I get it now. Congrats on losing weight.

I enjoyed my evening last night immensely. DS2 had the night off. I gave him some cash (i had found a $20 bill in the pocket of a pair of shorts. And he went grocery shopping and made a lovely dinner. He made a Marsala-inspired chicken (I had Chardonnay, not Marsala), roasted some green beans and a wonderful Mushroom-Parmesan pilaf . While cooking he had on a fun playlist of songs. He works tonight and tomorrow. His job is at the high school north of his college house. But the city says infected people need to quarantine for 14 days and then have a negative test or wait 5 more days. He has a friend moving into his college apartment next week, but his roommate will not for a few week. They have offered to let him stay with them.

That's about all my adventures for today.
Have a great day,
Maggie
Or they could actually have an onion shortage in the UK and not mean the red onion thing at all.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Foggy, foggy again today, but I would much rather have fog than the tornado warning sirens going again. Even though the three funnel clouds did not touch down in the city it did get pretty hairy for about 10 minutes. We ended up getting almost an inch of rain in that period of time. I am hoping that the area north west of the city was okay.

I searched out some jars today to make some dills. Not that we need them, but Hubby figures I will never keep up with the cukes unless I pick lots of little ones and I suppose he is right. Perhaps I will remember to use pickles at meals a bit more often. In searching for these jars, I found lots of others and also found some hidden jams that will need to be disposed of. I even believe there is some relish from many years ago as well which is probably not too good. I need to get all the canning upstairs so I can keep track of what is used and what isn't. This is not a frugal thing to have happen.

At least the large chest freezer is cleaned out and there was not much waste from last years harvest. That makes me feel good.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Foggy, foggy again today, but I would much rather have fog than the tornado warning sirens going again. Even though the three funnel clouds did not touch down in the city it did get pretty hairy for about 10 minutes. We ended up getting almost an inch of rain in that period of time. I am hoping that the area north west of the city was okay.

I searched out some jars today to make some dills. Not that we need them, but Hubby figures I will never keep up with the cukes unless I pick lots of little ones and I suppose he is right. Perhaps I will remember to use pickles at meals a bit more often. In searching for these jars, I found lots of others and also found some hidden jams that will need to be disposed of. I even believe there is some relish from many years ago as well which is probably not too good. I need to get all the canning upstairs so I can keep track of what is used and what isn't. This is not a frugal thing to have happen.

At least the large chest freezer is cleaned out and there was not much waste from last years harvest. That makes me feel good.

Frugal happenings around the old homestead will be the usual. I also have to fix Netflix on our upstairs TV. Youngest DS says if all else fails reset so I am working up my courage to do so. Though there is one thing I might try doing first. I am loving how the knitted sweater for Hubby is going. It is going to be lovely once done. I may work in the sewing room for a bit as well and get a few things completed in there. I am thinking some more masks (I have a few cut out that I could finish off) and perhaps some quilt work as well.

I keep putting making some cards so that could be another little project for today. Lots need the picture sent to my printer so I will need to check ink levels first. Perhaps some birthday, and thinking of you cards.

Grocery list needs to be made, taking into account stock up items and regular items.

I also need to at some point in time cross off the items on my stock up list that I have enough of. I don't want to be thought of as a food hoarder, though some things are getting a bit scarce in the supermarkets.

I will be heading out for my walk shortly, way later than usual as I slept in this morning. I had woke up at 5 but decided that was way too early to be up for the third day in a row. Curled up on the chesterfield and had another little snooze. It does make my day seem a bit rushed, but I must have needed the sleep.

I would like to take a trip to the city within the next month. There are a few things I could pick up at Costco, and I would really like a trip to the fabric store and Michael's to get stocked up on craft supplies before winter sets in (getting a bit concerned we could have an early winter as the leaves on some trees are turning). Could also take DS out for lunch or dinner.

Supper tonight is going to be ham and scalloped potatoes, and a salad. Those never ending cucumbers will be there as well.

Today, just like Rinty, I am grateful our garden is producing very well.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie