Daily Check In August 7, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In August 7, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Starting us off.

LogicsHere

Re: Daily Check In August 7, 2020

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Light rain right now but should be almost at its end. Extremely humid.

Busy morning; have two loads of wash and 1 dry to do before I run off for a hair appointment. I'll have time to dry my bedding, but probably not enough time to put it back on my bed.

The rest of the day will be a same old, same old. I have pancakes planned for dinner.

Today is National Lighthouse Day commemorating the beacons of light that symbolize safety and security for boats at sea.

On August 7, 1789, Congress enacted legislation allowing the Federal Government control over the construction and operation of our nation's lighthouses. The government recognized the importance to ships at sea to find safe harbor during fog and storms. Over the years, lighthouses have saved many ships, and an untold number of lives. In 1989 Congress proclaimed the 7th of August as National Lighthouse Day as a means of preserving these historic symbols.

With the advent of radar and GPS technology, lighthouses have taken a back seat in guiding ships to port, but still remain as the universal symbol of safe harbor to ships and communities that rely upon the sea for their livelihood.

Have a nice day.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It should be another lovely day, which for me means a walk this morning, harvesting and dehydrating herbs, and perhaps washing more jars in preparation for making some sliced dills on Saturday. I refuse to waste cucumbers, and I am pretty sure the neighbours would become annoyed if I knocked on their doors every day handing over long green things. I should be able to give them a few more as the summer progresses, waiting a decent time in between deliveries.

Other frugal happenings will be the same. I have a lovely to do list to follow, and will enjoy marking things off as they are completed.

I have joined our online virtual Garden Club here in the city. I guess at one time the physical club met quite often and was very active. Then it shut down suddenly. A friend decided to revive it and for now because of Covid-19 we will meet virtually until safe to do so in private. It should be interesting to say the least, and perhaps I will get some good ideas for my perennial bed and pots for next year.

I did not get to the thrift store yesterday, so am considering going today. I will wear my mask and take all precautions, though now according to the government we no longer have any active cases in our area. Makes me wonder if we actually had the cases they said we did a few weeks ago (well even as late as last week) or were the people who had these cases actually from another area, or even another province.

Either way, I will get ready for the second wave, continue preparing for my surgery, and make preparations for what could be an early and difficult winter (we have trees beginning to turn colour here now it could be stress from lack of water). People have been saying that this is going to be a tough winter, with lots of snow and cold, but that has been said before and nothing has come of it.

Supper tonight is going to be fish fillets, cucumber slices, rice, and peas all made with items on hand in freezer, fridge or pantry. I guess I could add garden to the list. ;)

Today I am grateful for my shawl, wrapped around my shoulders on chilly mornings.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning everyone. I slept well again last night. That is two nights in a woo hoo!

We are having lovely cool weather again today and the rain and storms are staying off to the west until later tonight. After today we are expecting rain and storms for days.

I am really excited my new air fryer was shipped today and my new drapes will be arriving tomorrow so lots of things to look forward to.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello friends,

I awoke about 6:45, which is very early for me, but I actually Slept last night in two blocks of time, and more than that, I dreamed! I awoke from belly & kidney pain.

This morning, both ds15 & ds12 have to be somewhere by 8am—ds12 to his yardwork job, & ds15 to mow lawn of a widowed friend. I, Mom, will ride along to keep ds15 legal. I’ll read or knit.

After we get home, I’ll drag sprinkler & hoses around yard to water lawns & garden.

I have a cucumber almost ready to pick. I wish I had some zucchinis too. I do have green peppers almost ready as well.

Then I need to visit with my student loan Servicer to see about re-upping my cancer treatment deferment.

I have nothing else planned for my day, though I may wash towels and some of my clothes.

My library books are due on Monday, so I should read like crazy this weekend. I also ought to go walking after we return home.

Am not sure what dinner will be.

Today, I’m grateful for another warm sunny day & plenty of books & knitting projects to keep me entertained.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Logics, I love lighthouses. I visited one in New Brunswick and one in PEI last summer. There are several pretty ones in Massachusetts.

Pippi and I are home from her fluid and B12 appointment and she did well. Her weight stayed the same which is OK with me. She is eating well and the nurse said she looked good and that I was doing a good job. That made my day. Her last weekly B12 shot will be next week and then it will be once a month. The fluid appointments will stay the same.

The Christmas cactus I bought last Christmas needs repotting so I brought it home from mom’s house. It has been doing well on the porch there. I have several pots I think will work.

Neighbor told me yesterday he is going to wait to cut the front yard because it is so hot and no rain this week. Mom’s yard has a type of grass that seems to grow faster but I’ll leave it up to him.

I’m immersed in my puzzle. I asked my friend if she thought her daughter and family would like a jigsaw of Yellowstone for Christmas - since they just visited there. She said yes. The one I want to get her, 500 pieces, is out of stock but it says a new shipment is “imminent.” So that will be one Christmas present off my list.

Have a good day.