High Grocery Prices - Are you doing things differently?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Leslie

Re: High Grocery Prices - Are you doing things differently?

Post by Leslie »

High food prices are the scourge of the population. I will not argue, because I myself agree with this. As I wrote earlier, at the beginning of the quarantine, the deferred money was spent on kitchen appliances so that you could cook anything on your own. The same bread is much cheaper than ready-made bread. The husband is slowly learning to repair equipment and furniture on his own - in the services they tear three skins, they cannot add up the price for their services. It's easier to do it yourself. By the way, I gave him a WORKPRO Socket Network for his birthday so that he would not run to the pine tree and ask for screwdrivers and sockets.
Last edited by Jackielou on Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited out a posted link.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

ohjodi wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:09 pm
Try frozen vegetables. They're less than half the price of fresh for most, and they actually have a lot more nutrients because they're frozen right after picking. I like the varieties of mixes you can get, and it's zero effort to prepare.
I buy almost exclusively frozen in the steamer bags. They take six minutes to prepare in the microwave and quite often I have an entire 14 ounce bag of broccoli with a boneless/skinless chicken breast. I make chicken stir fry at least once a week, as well (just be sure to nuke the veggies first and add them to the cooked chicken or they will get really soft and mushy).

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

We were the recipients of two federal farm food boxes last weekend: there was a local giveaway and a guy approached us in the grocery store parking lot and asked us to line up for some, as they had more than they could give away. Since then I've been thinking up ways to use up that bounty of free food. I expect this week's grocery total to be pretty low as a result.
Mackie

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

My daughter just told me here in Denton they give free food boxes to seniors once a month, not income related. I'll have to find out more about that.
http://richlyretired.blogspot.com

jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Quilter,
from your post i can see that you have made your move!!! Awesome! Hope your new apartment is everything you wanted it to be.

I wish we had boxes for seniors around here...I could really help my renter/friend and can think of others that would benefit from them.
JCKitty

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc »

I am eligible for the food boxes, but I don’t take them any longer as too many foods were foods I can’t use. Either the container is too large for me, or it is a food that is isn’t on my restricted diet.

The complex gets “X” amount. I don’t want to deprive someone who really can use the food.

Penny