High Grocery Prices - Are you doing things differently?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: High Grocery Prices - Are you doing things differently?

Post by alliesmama4 »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:47 pm I am definitely spending more. Everything has gone up. I don't menu plan as in..we will have this on Friday...but try to get sale ingredients for the things we eat often.
I bought a small bread machine during the pandemic. It makes up to a two lb. loaf. Using it often.
We don't really eat much in the way of packaged stuff....maybe a box of cookies or once in a while potato chips.
I make most everything from scratch...so...it seems like I am always in the kitchen. I like to bake and cook..but I do miss going out for dinner every so often.
DH and I make a Sam's Club run maybe once every month and a half....very early when they first open. I stock up on big chunks of cheese....flour...baking ingredients..etc.
Trees I know what you mean. Seems all I do it cook and clean up so I can cook and clean up. However I am just one person and not a gifted cook. My Mom could make a delicious meal out of whatever was in the house. I have to follow a recipe. I do like you and keep basics on hand that makes things so much easier to cook a good meal.
Janet Alliesmama
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

I must be very fortunate because prices here, in my part of the state at least, are staying level with some EXCELLENT sales on meat. I've been picking up grocery orders a couple of times a month, spending anywhere from $150 - $300 (if meat sales are REALLY good) and I can actually FEEL the weight in the back of my SUV as I drive home.

Chicken not on sale is $1.99/lb for whole and $.89 - $.99/lb on sale (boneless/skinless breasts $1.39/lb on sale and $1.99/lb not on sale), I've bought both whole Ribeyes and whole NY Strips, cut and wrapped free, $4.99/lb on sale (I bought three of each the weeks they were on sale, chose 15-18 pounders and had them sliced 1.5" thick...so we're VERY fine on steaks for quite awhile).

Ground beef is anywhere from $2.99/lb - $4.99/lb depending on lean % and if you choose a family pack or not (I usually try to get as close to a pound per package if I can). Beef roasts are $2.39/lb - $3.99/lb on sale, depending on cut (I favor chuck/chuck tender/eye of round). Pork roasts (I like Pork Butt) is insanely cheap at $.99 a pound on sale.

These are the meats I usually buy but I'll pick up a few of the pre-packaged/marinated little pork tenderloins when they go on sale (usually $4.99 for a 1.5 pound tenderloin). We love the Garlic and Herb or Lemon Pepper.

Frozen, canned and dairy seems the same as its been for ages.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I am not making significant changes. I am also not stocking up as I prepare to move to a smaller apartment. We are eating down the freezer but that mainly so we can defrost the thing. I am doing clicklist almost exclusively so not wandering aisles in any way.

My grocery budget is fairly flexible and I have multiple things that are drastically lowered during covid...gas, entertainment just to name two budget categories basically unused..I do try to do most of my shopping from the front page of the circulars.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Welp - I went to the grocery yesterday and about passed out from sticker shock - it's getting worse, prices are climbing higher still. Continuing to only buy reduced, sale priced, coupon, "yellow sticker" items, etc. - for the most part. There are just some things that sometimes I pay full price for - fresh fruit (in season), that sort of thing - a person has to eat healthy after all.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Went to one of the dollar stores here and was shocked to see that something that is normally 2 dollars was almost 5!

The worst part is that I can't remember what the heck it was!!!

LOL
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Clem, I find myself doing even more "cherry picking" at 5 different stores - regular grocery store, Save A Lot, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree. Thankfully, they are all within a mile of my house. There are also two drug stores that sometimes have good sales on grocery items like cereal - but I don't pay all that much attention to them - I feel like dealing with 5 stores is enough.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz