Daily Check-in September 22, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily Check-in September 22, 2020

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. I am awake because I took a muscle relaxer earlier in the day and slept off and on due to it too much in the afternoon and evening.. I think after a while I will try to go back to bed and see if I can get back to sleep.

I did get more done in the jungle in my rock garden early evening before bringing in my clippers and rake. Still a lot more to do but I am seeing progress.

I was pleasantly surprised when I called my water company. I have misplaced my water bill and called them to get the balance. When she gave me the information it was the same as I thought it was. I questioned her since there is usually a pretty hefty late fee. She said we are currently not charging late fees. That was good news. So after dinner Teddi and I went for a ride in to the village to drop a check off at their night deposit box.

This morning, after the dew burns off, I will tackle more of the jungle. I did learn my lesson and last evening as soon as I felt the pain increasing I stopped, and as of right now the pain is tolerable. I cannot have my next cortisone shot until October 20th and I can tell this one is wearing off.

Have a good day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama

LogicsHere

Re: Daily Check-in September 22, 2020

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Well it's expected to be closer to 70 degrees today despite the fact it's only 43 now. Also woke up to a slightly warmer apartment as they apparently turned the heat on yesterday. We have a law in our county that heat has to be provided when it falls to a certain temperature and 40 degree temps are definitely winter like weather.

Going to work on adding my Cafepress store items onto my website. I had had them on my previous one, but the visits died out when AOL dropped their web space quite some time ago. I had put them on another but the following dropped to almost nothing. I also plan to continue reading the book I started this past weekend and playing some games on Pogo . . . kind of a same old same old day.

Dreading not so much the doctor's appointment next week, but most definitely the dentist due to coronavirus. I'm terrified of it.

Tonight's meal plan is budget, french toast with some turkey bacon.

Today has the designated honor of being "Checkers Day" in honor of the board game. It also, however, has become referred to as "Dogs in Politics Day". I supposed you're wondering how dogs and politics became a thing.

In 1952, Richard M. Nixon was running for Vice President along with Dwight D. Eisenhower for President. There was some speculation on the part of the Media centering around an $18,000 campaign contribution alleging that Nixon may have used some of it for his own personal use. In a political maneuver, Nixon took his case to the American people.

On September 23, 1952, Richard Nixon gave a speech that directly addressed and explained the issue. He assured the public that he did not use any of the funds for personal use. Towards the end of the speech, he announced that his daughters had received a dog as a gift. Nixon said they would keep the dog and named him "Checkers".

The speech became known as the "Checkers" speech and went on to be noted as one of the better speeches in American political history.

With "Checkers" the dog included in the speech, this day was sometimes referred to as Dogs in Politics Day.

Have a great day.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

LogicsHere wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:17 am
Good morning all.

Well it's expected to be closer to 70 degrees today despite the fact it's only 43 now. Also woke up to a slightly warmer apartment as they apparently turned the heat on yesterday. We have a law in our county that heat has to be provided when it falls to a certain temperature and 40 degree temps are definitely winter like weather.

Going to work on adding my Cafepress store items onto my website. I had had them on my previous one, but the visits died out when AOL dropped their web space quite some time ago. I had put them on another but the following dropped to almost nothing. I also plan to continue reading the book I started this past weekend and playing some games on Pogo . . . kind of a same old same old day.

Dreading not so much the doctor's appointment next week, but most definitely the dentist due to coronavirus. I'm terrified of it.

Tonight's meal plan is budget, french toast with some turkey bacon.

Today has the designated honor of being "Checkers Day" in honor of the board game. It also, however, has become referred to as "Dogs in Politics Day". I supposed you're wondering how dogs and politics became a thing.

In 1952, Richard M. Nixon was running for Vice President along with Dwight D. Eisenhower for President. There was some speculation on the part of the Media centering around an $18,000 campaign contribution alleging that Nixon may have used some of it for his own personal use. In a political maneuver, Nixon took his case to the American people.

On September 23, 1952, Richard Nixon gave a speech that directly addressed and explained the issue. He assured the public that he did not use any of the funds for personal use. Towards the end of the speech, he announced that his daughters had received a dog as a gift. Nixon said they would keep the dog and named him "Checkers".

The speech became known as the "Checkers" speech and went on to be noted as one of the better speeches in American political history.

With "Checkers" the dog included in the speech, this day was sometimes referred to as Dogs in Politics Day.

Have a great day.
Try not to worry too much about your dentist appointment. I’ve been to the dentist twice since the pandemic, in June and then last week. (Actually three trips if you count my very quick visit when I had something in my gum.) I go to the dentist often because of my gums which are now much better.

They took my temperature and asked screening questions, didn’t allow anyone in the waiting room and wore full gear including masks and shields. They do not do the ultrasound cleaning any more. I felt very comfortable.

On the negative side, the dentist added a whopping $40 to my June bill for PPE and this time added $20. My dentist owns the building and previously rented out the other office but now plans to expand the dental office with a larger waiting room - so I see big bills ahead. ☹️

On another topic, I finally did some coloring yesterday! Found some big red plastic cups at mom’s house and I have my pencils in them and they look pretty.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I have a doctor appointment mid-morning and then will have a quick lunch and then Pippi has her appointment early afternoon. So a busy few hours.

Our weather is finally a bit cooler. A friend and I are going to go walking in a park next week.

The puzzle I plan to start next is of Prince Edward Island. It looks like a fun one. PEI has had very few cases of the virus but has almost completely closed itself off from visitors except those in the “Atlantic bubble.” My favorite place there was PEI National Park along the northern coast. Really unspoiled and beautiful.

Have a good day.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,
I got myself into a funk yesterday afternoon. My social media was full of news of a young man who graduated from the same high school as my sons and was attending college here in my home town. He was found at 3:30 in the AM in the middle of the road Sunday morning wiht a trmtic head injury. Yesterday morning he passed away. Local police think it was a hit-skip and are asking the public for help. So sad. I think that on top of being worn down from working 2nd shift over the weekend and my isolation over the weekend conspired to give me a good cry. Sigh. I need to get out more.

Have a great day,
Maggie

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

mbrudnic wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:54 am
Good Morning,
I got myself into a funk yesterday afternoon. My social media was full of news of a young man who graduated from the same high school as my sons and was attending college here in my home town. He was found at 3:30 in the AM in the middle of the road Sunday morning wiht a trmtic head injury. Yesterday morning he passed away. Local police think it was a hit-skip and are asking the public for help. So sad. I think that on top of being worn down from working 2nd shift over the weekend and my isolation over the weekend conspired to give me a good cry. Sigh. I need to get out more.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Very sad - those hit and runs happen a lot in san antonio.

I also have to get out of the house at least once a day - just a drive around town even.