Daily Check-in September 22, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check-in September 22, 2020

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:45 am
Chilly again this morning. I am wearing a cotton jacket over a long-sleeved blouse.

Maggie, I am so sorry to hear about the young man found on the road. Such a terrible loss of a young life. (((hugs)))

I had a busy morning inventorying rooms. The graduate student and I decided that the day had come that we had to do a walk-through of every room in the dorm because the record keeping is so messed up at the main office. So we checked every room and I took notes of everything that was needed, typed it up and sent it upstream. Then I turned in work orders for maintenance issues and inventoried the room keys. After I deliver lunches to the students, I will inventory supplies.

Busy day!
oh Mackie that brings back memories of my days of my workstudy job at the dorm

I remember one year after all were gone for Christmas break, I helped the dorm "mom" go through each room to make sure nothing was out of order. No water left running etc.

One room - omg - they just left it trashed. Beds not made - food left out - yuck. They were coming back after the break - but still. Eye opening. I just never knew people would do that - lol

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

clemencia2us wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:56 pm
I did it!

Maybe just this whole weird situation. Sometimes when I see people around me with masks on, I think we are in a movie. I wore my mask the whole time I was in the 'mat. About an hour. Another reason I love going there - wash, dry, fold everything and you are done quickly. Even one load of laundry here at home takes longer than that. And I read my vanity fair magazines that had been piling up. And left them there for others to enjoy later. I don't know why I don't read them here at home - :?
I'm quite envious of those with washing machines at home or in their apartment units. Laundry is the one thing I dreaded most and still do because I have to lug everything down 14 steps indoors, another 3 outside and then walk about 1/3 of a NYC block and down another 8 to 10 stairs. I don't need to do much ironing now but back when I was doing it on a weekly basis I actually preferred ironing because I could do it sitting down while watching TV. Having to go back and forth and then back and forth and back and forth a third time is the pits. I know it's still exercise, but it's still the pits.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Clem, some of these rooms are horrible. There was one in which the girl left two weeks of meals scattered around the room, turned the heat on high and told no one she had left. I did not find it until a couple of days later. That was pure spite at being made to quarantine.

There was a football player who was made to quarantine and sneaked out right away, most likely to his girlfriend who lives off campus. One of his roommates was quarantining on the same floor, and as best I can tell, he moved his buddy's meals inside the empty room so no one would know he was gone. Two weeks of rotting meals greeted me when I opened the door after the player was officially released. I nearly hurled.
Mackie

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:57 pm
Clem, some of these rooms are horrible. There was one in which the girl left two weeks of meals scattered around the room, turned the heat on high and told no one she had left. I did not find it until a couple of days later. That was pure spite at being made to quarantine.

There was a football player who was made to quarantine and sneaked out right away, most likely to his girlfriend who lives off campus. One of his roommates was quarantining on the same floor, and as best I can tell, he moved his buddy's meals inside the empty room so no one would know he was gone. Two weeks of rotting meals greeted me when I opened the door after the player was officially released. I nearly hurled.
Sounds like they are not getting any better

That one room was the only room in three wings and two floors of dorm rooms. It was all females. Only the corner rooms had their own bathroom. The others were suites - two rooms shared a bathroom between the rooms.

And we had ladies that would clean each bathroom and remove the trash. How easy could it be?

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

LogicsHere wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:40 pm
I'm quite envious of those with washing machines at home or in their apartment units. Laundry is the one thing I dreaded most and still do because I have to lug everything down 14 steps indoors, another 3 outside and then walk about 1/3 of a NYC block and down another 8 to 10 stairs. I don't need to do much ironing now but back when I was doing it on a weekly basis I actually preferred ironing because I could do it sitting down while watching TV. Having to go back and forth and then back and forth and back and forth a third time is the pits. I know it's still exercise, but it's still the pits.
I don't trust my machine to handle the quilts and comforters so I take them to the 'mat, where they have big machines that you can pack with lots of stuff! Love it. I do have to drive out there and I've been lazy. It is 7 miles away. Our small town once had two laundromats back in the day. If I had the money, I would buy the remnants of the one that remains. Not expecting to make money, break even, but to provide a service to the town.

Yes - it is very handy to have your own machines. Today I saw several people drag in bags and bags of stuff. Baskets, totes etc. Family laundry that has to be done somehow.

My nephews family that evacuated and is living in my parents home, are setting up a dryer connection. My mom had washing machine hook up, but preferred to dry clothes on the line.

jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Clem,
my beloved grandma always said that after the Great Depression the biggest improvement in her life was getting an automatic washer....it was a wringer washer .She was fall over grateful for an improved means of doing laundry.
She always said that doing the family laundry back in the day killed more" first wives' than anything. Hard, hard work.
She also taught me the vauable lesson of not putting something away for later or for a special occasion...she always said I am not leaving it for the "second wife". In other words , I am worth it, use it .
She was a wise woman , I can't help but wonder what she would have thought about the virus and our response to it. She would have been a child during the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic.

JCKitty