Daily Check-in October 8, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Daily Check-in October 8, 2020

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

It's going to be a cooler day here as it is not expected to pass 60 degrees.

Today I have a Zoom Breakfast Club presentation at 9:00A and a Lincoln Project Townhall at 7:00P. I started a book the other day of which I will do some additional reading today, an historical Regency novella with 3 stories in it. I like novellas because they allow you to feel like you've finished the book more quickly than reading something that's 400 pages long.

I want to remind everyone that Medicare.gov is showing the new plans for 2021. The one that most of us who are on Traditional Medicare should consider reviewing is the Part D drug plan as it changes yearly. I've already looked at the preview and found a drug plan even cheaper than I am paying for this year with my current one. There is one wrinkle, however, as my test results came back and my doctor told me that I need to start a diet and exercise program as if my A1C doesn't drop back down, she is going to put me on medication. I emailed her back and asked the name of the potential drug and she gave me 2 names since I will be changing plans and I need to know how the additional drug will affect the plan I choose. In checking again, when the new drug is figured in, they are about the same in the $320 to $357 range (plan cost plus drugs) for the year, which of course isn't bad. But I also decided to check into three prescription discount cards, one most of us are familiar due to their advertising (GoodRx, SingleCare and America's Pharmacy).

Both Part D plans I'm looking at add approximately $60 quarterly cost for the drugs or approx. $240 annual. I looked quickly at the 3 other plans above and can get the new drug for significantly less using GoodRx or America's Pharmacy. Since it doesn't matter whether you're on a drug plan or not, you can still use the discount card so this will enable me to stay with the lower priced plan for approximately $87 (plan monthly cost plus drugs) and use the discount card to save significantly over the prescription plan with a cost increase of $24 to $80 annually; a significant difference from the $240. I will be looking at them again today as I quickly scribbled some notes last evening but want to be sure of their accuracy.

For the most part my meals aren't super carb heavy to begin with, so the change will be needing to add more exercise in to lose some weight so it's time for me to "bite the bullet" and plan to start today with my 1 mile indoor walk video (once in the morning and once in the afternoon) and attempt to keep this up every day. I just have to stop buying even the occasional bag of chips, ice cream, cookies or candy and stick with my fruit and yougurt which I've been doing this past month.

Today's designated for the celebration of "Yom Kippur" or "Day of Atonement". It's a day set aside by the people of Jewish faith to atone for sins they have committed. It's a day of prayer, fasting, and a time to attend the synagogue. It is also one of their holidays and one of the most important days in the Jewish calendar. During Yom Kippur, people seek forgiveness from God, and seek to give and receive forgiveness and reconciliation with others.

Yom Kippur always occurs ten days after Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year with the date changing year to year.

Have a wonderful day.

ownedbydogs

Re: Daily Check-in October 8, 2020

Post by ownedbydogs »

Today is my husband and my birthday. Decided that I have to move getting old up as I don’t feel 80. Dh is 81. Had a cake yesterday from daughter and son in law and great grandson. Nathan was given a dollar each to pick us a present at the dollar store. He picked me a snow globe. He decided Gramps needed medicine since he was sick, so he picked him a bottle of cough syrup. He needed it. Pretty good shopping for a 5 yr. old. Lol.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Owned, Happy Birthday to both of you. I love the story of your Great-Grandson's thoughtfulness. That is an awesome kid.

Good Morning everyone,

Today my Girlfriend is picking me up at 10 for a bit of a walk/hike and then lunch. Should be fun.
Yesterday I took a 2 mile walk and I did make it to Trader Joe's and JoAnn's. Otherwise, not much was accomplished.

Have a great day,
Maggie

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Patty, I am SO sorry you are having such pain. I’m glad that your doctor’s nurse reassured you. I hope you are able to go to PT today and that it helps. If you can’t go today, don’t get frustrated. You ARE getting better but perhaps it is slower than you’d like. (((Big Hugs)))

Logics, I’m going to go over the Part D plans in detail. I take two fairly pricy brand name Rx for my eyes plus some generics. The co-pays for the brand name Rx are going to increase quite a bit next year with my current plan. (They already sent me the paperwork.) The blood pressure Rx I take is completely free at Publix pharmacy.

Owned, Happy Birthday to you and your DH. Amazing that your birthdays are on the same day.

I plan to go to Publix and then to mom’s house. It is supposed to be very hot today with a “feels like” temp of 100. Sheesh! I will see if the paint for the front step is still good. (I shook it the other day.) Even if I only get the front edge of the step painted, I’ll be happy. The other thing I’d like to do is cut some of the low hanging branches in “shady glen” in the back yard. I’ll do what I can with the lopping shears.

Have a good day.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

ownedbydogs wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:00 am
Today is my husband and my birthday. Decided that I have to move getting old up as I don’t feel 80. Dh is 81. Had a cake yesterday from daughter and son in law and great grandson. Nathan was given a dollar each to pick us a present at the dollar store. He picked me a snow globe. He decided Gramps needed medicine since he was sick, so he picked him a bottle of cough syrup. He needed it. Pretty good shopping for a 5 yr. old. Lol.
Happy Birthday to the both of you. Nathan did a great job shopping for the two of you.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It has been a rocky morning already. Firstly I slept in which is something I did not want to do, now I wonder if I will get the morning walk in, second is my arm feels really sore today, and lastly I don't think my beautiful green yarn is enough to make the sweater I want.

Enough complaining, I need to get on with my day.

I actually think I will be spreading my shopping over two days. Today I will pick up the medication for Hubby and visit Walmart (both are fairly close together) after I have done the bible study. Then tomorrow early I will get the groceries. It means two separate days of spending, but doing things this way gives me a bit more time to do things around the house and since this is once again a big stock up, probably the time to scan and get things put away properly before hauling new items into the house.

So first things first. I will finish my coffee, take a short/semi short walk about, come home, have breakfast and then get those pesky household tasks completed along with a double batch (hopefully) of chocolate chip/oatmeal cookies ready to go. I will then transfer my Walmart and pharmacy lists onto another page (discovered a few more items needed from Walmart....Well not needed right at this moment, but they will be at some point), make the cookie dough, and start baking.

This afternoon it will be bible study and the shopping trip.

Good thing there are leftovers available to slip into the oven tonight for supper. I will just make a few more buttered egg noodles to go with the stroganoff.

This evening while watching TV I will rip back the green yarn and put it away (sniff, sniff) until I can find another project for it. Pulling out the cream yarn that I know I have enough of for this project and get it restarted.

Today I am grateful that even though temperatures have dropped at nights the mornings are bright and sunny.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.