Daily Check-in October 26, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Daily Check-in October 26, 2020

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

It's going to be a cloudy day in the 50s with a chance of showers later this afternoon. It is the end of October. We turn back the clocks this coming weekend.

Much of the weekend was spent watching Christmas movies as will be the next two months, although some of the shows should be coming back next month. I didn't get to work on my graphics program but hopefully this week I can motivate myself to do so. I spent much too much time playing computer games.

Still trying to use my Kindle for Zoom meetings and hopefully I found and changed a setting that might make it work. I will try it again this morning. I also downloaded the app to my smartphone and if I can't get it to work on my tablet, will see if I can get it to work on the phone instead although I like the much larger screen. And then again if I could find a plug and play webcam for my desktop computer . . . decisions, decisions.

Tonight I have pork chops on the menu and have decided to do a swap to Tuesday because I want to try cooking them differently and there is a Christmas movie on during my dinner time that I haven't seen. Usually I just stick one in the frying pan. I even stopped breading them years ago. I'm encouraged to try something different because my sausage, peppers and onions came out so good the other night. I am missing 2 ingredients but as I'm planning on going to the store to pick up milk this morning I can add them to my list.

Today's designated day deals with a seasonal food item, "National Mincemeat Day". I've never tried it as the name itself didn't really appeal to me (a pie consisting of meat and diced fruit) and then the price of having to buy a whole pie without knowing whether I'd like it or not, not very budget minded.

Mincemeat which was a way to preserve food dates back to medieval times. It was also a treat mixed with sweet fruits. Somewhere in the last half of the 1900's, it lost it's popularity. My research says a whole generation has grown up not knowing what it is or having ever tasted it but my guess would be more. The amount of meat in the recipes has been reduced over the years and today is largely a fruity pie. In older recipes, you will find meat and/or suet among the ingredients. It remains a traditional pie at Thanksgiving for many.

So, just what is mincemeat? It is a mixture of minced (or chopped up) meats, suet, and fruits. No, still doesn't appeal to me LOL. The meat is usually beef, either ground up or sirloin. Fruits include raisins, apples pear, and others. Sometimes liquor is added, most commonly brandy or rum. I"ll stick with fruitcake.

Have a magnificent Monday.

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check-in October 26, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

LogicsHere wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:07 am
Good morning all.

It's going to be a cloudy day in the 50s with a chance of showers later this afternoon. It is the end of October. We turn back the clocks this coming weekend.

Much of the weekend was spent watching Christmas movies as will be the next two months, although some of the shows should be coming back next month. I didn't get to work on my graphics program but hopefully this week I can motivate myself to do so. I spent much too much time playing computer games.

Still trying to use my Kindle for Zoom meetings and hopefully I found and changed a setting that might make it work. I will try it again this morning. I also downloaded the app to my smartphone and if I can't get it to work on my tablet, will see if I can get it to work on the phone instead although I like the much larger screen. And then again if I could find a plug and play webcam for my desktop computer . . . decisions, decisions.

Tonight I have pork chops on the menu and have decided to do a swap to Tuesday because I want to try cooking them differently and there is a Christmas movie on during my dinner time that I haven't seen. Usually I just stick one in the frying pan. I even stopped breading them years ago. I'm encouraged to try something different because my sausage, peppers and onions came out so good the other night. I am missing 2 ingredients but as I'm planning on going to the store to pick up milk this morning I can add them to my list.

Today's designated day deals with a seasonal food item, "National Mincemeat Day". I've never tried it as the name itself didn't really appeal to me (a pie consisting of meat and diced fruit) and then the price of having to buy a whole pie without knowing whether I'd like it or not, not very budget minded.

Mincemeat which was a way to preserve food dates back to medieval times. It was also a treat mixed with sweet fruits. Somewhere in the last half of the 1900's, it lost it's popularity. My research says a whole generation has grown up not knowing what it is or having ever tasted it but my guess would be more. The amount of meat in the recipes has been reduced over the years and today is largely a fruity pie. In older recipes, you will find meat and/or suet among the ingredients. It remains a traditional pie at Thanksgiving for many.

So, just what is mincemeat? It is a mixture of minced (or chopped up) meats, suet, and fruits. No, still doesn't appeal to me LOL. The meat is usually beef, either ground up or sirloin. Fruits include raisins, apples pear, and others. Sometimes liquor is added, most commonly brandy or rum. I"ll stick with fruitcake.

Have a magnificent Monday.
Mincemeat pies at Christmas are still big in the UK. Pretty darn sure each generation has at least tasted it there.

I don't like fruit cake either.

I think both are an acquired taste and I never acquired one. :D

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I remember mincemeat pies. As a child, we always had one pumpkin and one mincemeat one for holidays. I have a feeling it was for my grandfather. The mincemeat tasted fruity. In later years we skipped the mincemeat.

I plan to go to mom’s house but first will return a book to the library, probably at the dropbox. I’m really trying to stay out of stores. At mom’s I’ll cut the grass if it needs it. If not, I’ll do trimming. I’m SO glad to have the computer desk and patio table out of the garage. I still have things that need to go but in the meantime I’ll straighten up the space.

Yesterday I did a lot of decluttering of my downstairs. The Flylady’s first holiday mission was to look at your house with fresh eyes and see what a visitor would see.

I told my friend I didn’t want to walk with her this week because of the virus. She understood. If the powers that be won’t take the virus seriously I am going to protect myself - if possible.

Have a lovely day.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Now for the daily temperature report (you are all going to be sick of this by the time winter actually ends) it is -16 C or about 5 F, pretty much the coldest it has been in awhile. The weather folk really got it all wrong when they said it was going to warm up overnight.

We got more snow yesterday, not a great deal, but enough to cover the vehicles with a nice white coat.

Today is my busy day, but I hope to get some work done on the project number I drew for this week. This weeks project is Christmas ornaments. I will be doing some of the work today (hopefully getting the insides of two of the 4 ornaments completed) and finishing them off over the next half week.

Since I had yesterday pretty much craft free, I decided to see how far I could get on another quilt top. The last one is on my blog if anyone cares to look. I made a few errors, which I hope I learned from, but this second one is just my usual chair rail type. I will work on getting this top done by the end of the month as well. I really need to use up all these 4" blocks before they take over the house, or at least take over my sewing/craft room.

I did up some more pension (old age security) papers this weekend and will be popping them in the mail at some point this week (putting more stamps on it then probably needed and I could put it in the community mail box for pick up). I really don't feel old enough to be getting my pensions as of yet. It should be enough to make one payment on the vehicle a month. I may just transfer it to savings every month since that is what we use to pay for the vehicle.

Hubby plans on taking his truck in for servicing, and to get the winter tires put on the SUV. This snow fall took us a bit by surprise coming so early. Both of those could be happening later in the week.

It is my long list of household tasks today, and I know my friend will be calling me to come for coffee, I am almost tempted to stay away as her bubble is constantly changing. I will see if my headache goes away after a bit this morning.

Frugally speaking there will be no money spent today. I will be taking a slow, short walk outside this morning (once laundry is started), and spending the rest of the day doing the usual using up, wearing out, recycling, and substituting where and when I can. I have a steam mop and I am almost finished with the box of steam pads. I might spend some time looking on line for a DIY pad and get a few of those made sometime in the future. They will end up on my project list (hopefully I draw the number before I run out of pads).

I need to cut apart the old curtains from the sewing/craft room. I think that it would be suitable fabric for shopping bags, and I still have to take apart the old knit afghan and rewind the cotton yarn it is made of.

Busy day and one that I had better get started on right now.

Supper tonight is going to be some leftover ham made into a casserole. The colder days seem to call for stick to your ribs food. I have leftover salad still to use up as well.

Today I am grateful that I only slept in by a half hour. Still it seems as if half the morning is gone already.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:55 am
Good morning friends.

I remember mincemeat pies. As a child, we always had one pumpkin and one mincemeat one for holidays. I have a feeling it was for my grandfather. The mincemeat tasted fruity. In later years we skipped the mincemeat.

I plan to go to mom’s house but first will return a book to the library, probably at the dropbox. I’m really trying to stay out of stores. At mom’s I’ll cut the grass if it needs it. If not, I’ll do trimming. I’m SO glad to have the computer desk and patio table out of the garage. I still have things that need to go but in the meantime I’ll straighten up the space.

Yesterday I did a lot of decluttering of my downstairs. The Flylady’s first holiday mission was to look at your house with fresh eyes and see what a visitor would see.

I told my friend I didn’t want to walk with her this week because of the virus. She understood. If the powers that be won’t take the virus seriously I am going to protect myself - if possible.

Have a lovely day.
Yes, please protect yourself. It is the main reason I do not go to the indoor walking track here in the city. Lots of people, no mask wearing, and just not my style during this pandemic.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc »

I slept pretty good last night, my new book came yesterday. It is a book by another designer that I love. The title is “Knitting for Kitties", no I don’t plan on getting a cat. But I loved several of the patterns. They are very cute, and most are done in the round.

I am cleaning my Keurig this morning. I use the vinegar water to remove some of the other hard water deposits. I get at least 2 uses sometimes more from the water. I plan on emptying the dish drainer and pouring the white vinegar into all sections. Catching the water and pouring it back in.

I have a towel wash in the dryer.

My hand isn’t too uncomfortable now, It is so difficult not to use it.
So many things require either both hands plus we live in a world set up for right handed people.

Penny