Daily Check-in October 27, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Daily Check-in October 27, 2020

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Not much change in the weather from what it is right now, the low 50s; expected to be cloudy and going to mid-50s.

Want to check the Hallmark and Lifetime schedules to see the movies that are on today. I do have to wash my hair later and other than the living room chores, have nothing else really planned for the day. I am continuing on my Spanish, and watching You Tube videos on coloring; trying to learn the art of shading which isn't easy. Other than that it will be whatever happens, happens kind of a day.

It looks like I'm having another bout of achilles tendonitis and it's been since I started walking again. It's so hard trying to exercise when the exercise goes against you instead of working for you. Not sure what I can substitute for exercise now.

I will be making my pork chop tonight for dinner. I moved it to tonight from yesterday so that I had time to "cook" it differently. I found a recipe for pork chops with honey garlic sauce and it sounds really good. I replaced my soy sauce yesterday because I didn't remember how long I had the bottle that was in my fridge. It seems simple enough so we'll see.

Halloween is only four days away and it makes sense that today's honor goes to "Black Cat Day". Black cats are looked upon as a dark, evil symbol of Halloween. Witches and demons are known to be able transform into a black cat and back again. As Halloween nears, those witches and demons begin to increasingly appear, temporarily transforming at will into a black cat, as needed to escape or get near a human victim.

Are black cats good .... or bad? The answer to this question depends upon where you live. In Celtic folklore, it was believed black cats turned into fairies and back. Upon arrival to the New World, Pilgrims put a twist into this belief. They believed black cats are evil and foreboding. They also believed it was really a witch or a demon. Never let a black cat cross your path. It will bring bad luck. In Europe, black cats were once burned alive. People caught harboring a black cat, were severely punished. In Egypt, Great Britain, or Japan, people have just the opposite opinion of black cats. People there, see them as bringing good luck and a good omen.

Have a nice day.

HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check-in October 27, 2020

Post by HappyDaze »

Good Morning Logics and Everyone,

Logics, I love how you are always learning something and doing things - it's inspiring!

It's been a while since I did an early morning check in. My alarm went off at 5:00 and I stayed in bed for about 20 minutes more until Hope wanted to go outside. She is back in and Lucy won't get up for at least another hour.

The coffee is tasting good this morning. It's going to be a busy day at work and I have to leave about an hour early to take Lucy to the Vet - it's not an urgent or serious issue, thank goodness.

Tomorrow I'm working at a food distribution 9:00 a.m. to Noon, then have to go to work for a conference call meeting thing - I don't know what to call these virtual meetings that we have now days - virtual meetings I guess, lol.

I'm off to get ready for work, eat breakfast, etc. Hope you all enjoy the day.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

This morning Pippi has her vet appointment for her fluids at 8 a.m. She is on the sofa aside me right now so I have to figure out how to take my three eye drops and get my clothes on without her getting suspicious that I’m earlier than my normal routine.

Then this morning I have a phone appointment with the lawyer. I’ve already thought of something I want to change in addition to the written changes I’ve already given her. It is so hard not having close relatives except my cousins. Everyone close to me is old and I think about what will happen to my precious items when I’m gone.

No cool weather here. It is still in the high 80s every day. We may get a few days in the low 80s this weekend. I’m tired of this weather but it is better than the 90s.

Just for fun I put together a place setting of china I’ll use for Christmas and the Christmas season. White Johnson Brothers plate with a scalloped edge that I love that I picked up for the incredible price of .15 each at a rummage sale. (I have five of them.) Dessert/salad place in the Spode Christmas tree pattern that I picked up on my first trip to England, 1980. They came from the Reject China Shop (now defunct) in London. Spode Christmas tree mugs picked up from a department store going out of business (Robinson’s) years ago. What to use for a placemat? The reverse side of some rummage sale placemats is a small red/black check. Not perfect but it looks pretty good. I think I’ll get out mom’s silver (Towle French Provincial) and polish it up. She always said “use it!”

Have a good day.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

floridacatlover wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:26 am

Just for fun I put together a place setting of china I’ll use for Christmas and the Christmas season. White Johnson Brothers plate with a scalloped edge that I love that I picked up for the incredible price of .15 each at a rummage sale. (I have five of them.) Dessert/salad place in the Spode Christmas tree pattern that I picked up on my first trip to England, 1980. They came from the Reject China Shop (now defunct) in London. Spode Christmas tree mugs picked up from a department store going out of business (Robinson’s) years ago. What to use for a placemat? The reverse side of some rummage sale placemats is a small red/black check. Not perfect but it looks pretty good. I think I’ll get out mom’s silver (Towle French Provincial) and polish it up. She always said “use it!”

Have a good day.
I bought a service for 4 of Nikko's Christmas Tree pattern (octagon shaped) years ago which looks like the Spode dinnerware. I absolutely love it despite the fact I've only used it a couple of times. I have kept 1 dinner plate out that I keep in my kitchen closet that I can pull out anytime I want to. I keep thinking about getting a single silver charger to go with it, but end up changing my mind when I do get the opportunity.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

LogicsHere wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:12 am
I bought a service for 4 of Nikko's Christmas Tree pattern (octagon shaped) years ago which looks like the Spode dinnerware. I absolutely love it despite the fact I've only used it a couple of times. I have kept 1 dinner plate out that I keep in my kitchen closet that I can pull out anytime I want to. I keep thinking about getting a single silver charger to go with it, but end up changing my mind when I do get the opportunity.
Yes, that is smart to keep a Christmas dinner plate handy. One of the YouTube ladies I follow always says “Every day is a special occasion.”

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I did not sleep well at all last night. I seemed to wake every two hours and had to get a drink or visit the facilities. I really don't feel rested much at all. It is not a big to do day, but I did want to start my Christmas ornaments (turns out they will not be finished as I have the wrong vinyl and will need to get the correct stuff) and perhaps get another three rows of my quilt blocks attached. I guess I will just have to see how things progress.

I did not make a casserole out of the ham last night. I got lazy and just warmed it up and served sides with it. I will however make a casserole with the chicken I am pulling out tonight. I need some leftovers to serve tomorrow or Thursday (really don't feel like cooking after Bible Study) and there is always leftover casserole in this house. I think I might search for a new recipe this morning.

The temperature has warmed up and right now it is only -4 C. Supposedly, after asking my Google nest, it feels like -12 C with the wind chill. Actually much warmer than yesterday with the wind chill. I will probably do a short walk this morning just to stretch the tendons, and other stiff muscles.

Frugally the usual things will be happening around here. It is really hard for me to introduce something new, when I don't know what will actually fit our lifestyle. I think perhaps just getting Hubby to be a bit more aware of what he spends, and getting him on this frugal life was a new thing. Since he retired he has become more aware of what things cost and how to go about getting things at a lower rate.

Hubby still seems to forget things though. I think I will remind him today that he wanted/needs to get his old truck in for a service (rather take care of one vehicle per month) and then next month remind him that we need the snow tires on the SUV. Last week it was all about getting them in right away (pretty big snowfall happening) and now this week not a word.

We now have 15 or more cases in my sub area and 1 case each in two other sub area of positive Covid-19 cases. This doesn't sound like many to most of you but that rise from 0 cases most of the first wave is scary. In fact a friend owns a business here and now his business could be an epicenter of spread. He is a funeral director and owns the only funeral business here in the city. One visitation, someone who was diagnosed with Covid-19 was there. I also have heard that it is at our power plant and at the coal mines, just not sure if those are true as of yet.

Today I am grateful for my health and the fact that I can still go out walking if I am careful.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.