Daily Check In November 24, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check In November 24, 2020

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Kitty, I’m sorry to hear about your roof and ceiling. What a pain and inconvenience. (((Hugs)))

Jackie, last night on PBS NewsHour they said that President-Elect Biden’s Cabinet and other Administration nominees were “boring and experienced” and they agreed that was a very good thing.

Logics, that was a nice summary and analysis of the vaccines. I had not heard that Florida would get the early doses.

It has not been the greatest day so far but I’m trying to look up. Pippi lost weight again and we had the tough vet nurse. She recommended an appointment with the vet to check Pippi’s bloodwork. I may wait until after the holidays. Pippi is enjoying her food and life and as long as that’s the case I’m content.

I found out that my “new” eye doctor has left and gone into research. In a way I’m not surprised because he was from NYC and had worked in research in the past and had really excellent credentials. I really liked him the two times I saw him. I’ll try the new doctor in January.

I thought the doctor leaving was causing a problem with my Rx but they said No and I just got the call that it is ready. So I’ll go to the busy Publix and pick it up today because tomorrow will be busier.

Yesterday I received the suitcase i ordered and I opened it this morning. Very nice but it is SO big! I’m not sure I’ll keep it. I’m thinking of the guesthouse where I stayed in Bath, second floor (first floor in UK language), narrow stairs and no elevator. Rinty saw it. I loved it but can’t imagine lugging this new suitcase up those stairs and it might be a similar situation at other B&Bs.

I did get my tree decorated and I love it.

Stay safe.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning frugal friends,

I am hoping for another quiet day. I do have a couple of meetings to join. So grateful they are only audio. I have not had to do a video meeting. Still working on creating my study notes. My study technique is based on something taught to me by my 7th & 8th grade Social Studies teacher. Since I have been using it for 40 years, it is very successful for me.

I did attend my support group meeting. Plenty of room to social distance.

HA! I just found that I abandoned this for s few hours.

Have a great day,
Maggie

GMPG54

Post by GMPG54 »

LogicsHere wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:47 am
Good morning all.

It will be in the mid 40s today and mostly sunny; not bad for a November day.

I really need to find a way to sleep through the night. I get a few hours, wake up and then I'm awake for an hour or so. I let myself toss and turn for a while, then have to get up. Then I go back to bed. Some of the seminars I attend via my Vitality Group stress the importance of sleep and how a broken night's sleep isn't as good as sleeping straight through.

Haven't planned anything special for today so I'll call it one of my spontaneous days. I did sign up for a 4 week lunch hour Zoom program sponsored by the County Health Dept and a Artis Senior Living. It starts tomorrow with Bingo at lunch and goes the following 3 weeks with art therapy, word games and name that tune. I have to say my area has truly gone out of its way to reach us seniors through this period.

Read the other day where our Governor Cuomo received the "International" Emmy Award (first time I've heard of it, but it does exist) for his coronavirus briefings. With the current upswing, he's back doing them. He truly wants all of us to stay safe. He had mentioned previously that he was having Thanksgiving dinner with 2 of his daughters and mother, but as of yesterday I understand he cancelled it and said he'd be working that day.

In my Monday chat we were talking about the coronavirus vaccines and the progress being made. I think two have started the process with the FDA (Pfizer and Moderna) and a third, AstraZenaca. The first 2 are currently showing a 94% +/- effectiveness while the third about 70%. The major difference is in storage with two of them needing to be kept in freezers, Pfizer specifically which needs to maintain a continous -70 degrees Celsius or it could be rendered ineffective, at a specific temperature which might make distribution logistics a bit difficult. Astra's only needs refrigeration. NY has also begun studying the data as well as the medical group my local hospital belongs to (Northwell Health). It still looks like the target of April availability for the first is accurate. I did miss a bit of the conversation but they said that two shots will be required. Just did a quick internet search and found the following: Large-scale trial results show that the AstraVeneca vaccine is 90 per cent effective if administered at a half dose and then at a full dose, or 62 per cent effective if administered in two full doses. It appears that Pfizer also announced that it would be making 2,000,000 dosages available to Florida first, my assumption being that there are more over 60 people living there than anywhere else? They are also designating the groups that get it first and so on down the line.

Tonight's menu includes a hot dog, potato and vegetable.

Today's designated honor goes to "Evolution Day". It is the anniversary of the publication of Charles Darwin's book: On the Origin of Species in 1859. His controversial theory turned the world upside down, in its thinking of how we came to be. It remains controversial to this day.

Have a nice day.
What NY do you live in?
He deserves and enema for all his BS!
Remember him sending the Covid patients to nursing homes and killing hundreds?
Then he had the gall to criticize the President for doing nothing for the city, while he arranged for the USS Comfort to go there, turned the Javits center into an emergency hospital...Not to mention all the businesses him and the other idiot mayor put out of business with these ridiculous rules he keeps making from his “ throne” in Albany!

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

floridacatlover wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:22 am

Logics, that was a nice summary and analysis of the vaccines. I had not heard that Florida would get the early doses.

I did get my tree decorated and I love it.
Well I can't say for sure that Florida will be getting the early doses, but from the way the story was written it's highly possible.

Glad you like your tree. I hope it gives you as much joy as mine does for me.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

GMPG54 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:00 pm
What NY do you live in?
He deserves and enema for all his BS!
Remember him sending the Covid patients to nursing homes and killing hundreds?
Then he had the gall to criticize the President for doing nothing for the city, while he arranged for the USS Comfort to go there, turned the Javits center into an emergency hospital...Not to mention all the businesses him and the other idiot mayor put out of business with these ridiculous rules he keeps making from his “ throne” in Albany!
First of all there was NO need to make this "POLITICAL". My post merely mentioned he won an award and my opinion that I believe he wants us to be safe. There WAS ABSOLUTELY no mention of political anything in it; strictly my opinion on being safe.

Hence, I suppose we will have to be content to agree to disagree. But since you did, here's my response: I am willing to give him slack on the nursing home deaths because NY was one of the first states to be affected by the virus, a virus for which NOTHING was known about it at the time. As with anything new mistakes will be made and its from those mistakes that others learn . . . if they want to listen.

Where I have a problem is where COVID has since hit and the pushback/refusal to do anything about it. If they had listened and learned from NY's mistakes perhaps their infection rate would not be where it is today. Perhaps we wouldn't be at 12 million cases and climbing. So as with all firsts someone is going to make mistakes, yes; but again it's from those mistakes that the rest are supposed to learn.
Last edited by LogicsHere on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Hi, frugal ones. I have been enjoying a hearty snack of banana chips with peanut butter and an orange. All goodies left in the office -- yum!

I have a couple of students who need to be let out of quarantine today (if the other offices get their act together) and some rooms to set up when the custodian finishes with them, but it's otherwise been quiet. The graduate assistant helped me deliver meals, so we got that taken care of pretty quickly.

Tomorrow evening I need to make a coconut cake after work. That's going to be our Thanksgiving dessert. I put four rock Cornish hens to thaw in fridge Sunday evening, and that will be the main entree. I can't decide whether to make rolls or buy them. Kind of leaning toward buying, as our kitchen has little counter space.

Someday, if Santa drops a huge bag of money in the kitchen, I'd love to pull out the dishwasher and turn it, which would also require building out a short island that would vastly expand the amount of counter space. It's a big kitchen, but so poorly redesigned when the modern cabinets were fitted.

Hope you all have a pleasant day and everyone stays well.
Mackie