Daily Check in December 13, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check in December 13, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Off to get coffee. Back soon

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in December 13, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

We got a dusting of snow last night and with the freezing fog from the day before, I have a feeling that the roads will be a bit icy today. Good thing I plan on watching live streaming of Mass again today.

Oldest DS and I were sending texts back and forth at one point yesterday and I found out he is coming home next Saturday if the weather permits. Earlier than usual, but then he starts up at school a bit earlier than other years. Told him it will be great to see him and that youngest DS starts his holidays on the 24th which is probably when he will make it home.

What this means is I have to get moving with the baking, wrapping the presents, and whatever else needs doing a bit faster than I thought. Not that both our
sons aren't used to all our hobby stuff scattered through the house, or piles of books beside my chair. Those are just the things that were a common sight around this house when they were growing up. Still, a fairly decently tidy home is what I will be going for again this year.

I made the chicken dish in the Instant Pot and it was a hit (at least that is what I was told). There is even enough left for another meal on Monday, this time served with rice. A bit of moving around on the monthly menu, and a change perhaps as eldest will be home a bit earlier than I thought.

Frugally speaking all meals will be made here at home today. I plan on making a loaf of bread (need to start that immediately after this post), baking more cookies, and since we have been naughty making another pan of Nanaimo bars (I did make up a little plateful to take to a friend). Must get the brittle and caramels made as well. Looks like I will be sticking close to home over the next few days.

I have picked a day that I can make some phone calls for the parish and so will let the organizer know at some point today.

I think my temperature blanket for next year, will not really be for next year. I just might try and find out the temperatures for the year we were married and make one for that year. The difference between the blankets should show the warming trend of climate change (after all in January we will have been married for 45 years). Must start the collection of data very soon for that project.

I guess in retrospect this day will be much the same as any other Sunday. Wish I could say that something exciting is happening, or that we are travelling some where, but nope not happening around here for awhile.

Supper tonight will be roast pork, roasted potatoes, and asparagus. The leftover meat will be wrapped and frozen to be used in a meal or two later on.

Today I am grateful that so far the provincial borders have not been shut down.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

A bit foggy right now and in the high 40s. Temp is supposed to rise to mid-50s for another mild day.

Short and sweet, today as I have nothing formal planned; going to keep it as spontaneous. One small gripe: Microsoft did another update on Windows 10 and changed the color of my taskbar from black to a light blue and there's no way of changing it back unless you go into system files which I won't do. The light blue which it now is makes it much harder to see the icons on the bar.

On the menu for tonight is chicken, baked potato and green beans.

While National Ice Cream Day occurs in July, "Ice Cream Day" is celebrated on December 13th which somehow evolved from a school sponsored event. From where I sit, ice cream is great any time of the year.

Have a nice day.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good Morning Jackie and Everyone,

Jackie, so nice you will get to share the holiday with your kiddos!

It is spitting rain here and considerably colder than yesterday. Somehow, I slept until 8:10!!! That is so LATE for me and I don't know how we managed it. I woke up to Lucy putting her snout under my wrist and "flinging" my arm upwards - and Hope sitting by watching her, cheering her on - they both had to go outside!

Coffee tastes yummy. Speaking of yummy, the refried beans, chili and soup we made yesterday all turned out very nicely and I "think" it can be a NO GROCERY week again - I'm so excited!!! Of course next week will mean a few extra things to celebrate Christmas - but that's okay - I think of the money I save every time I skip a week and - yayyyyyy!!!

My daughter is a pretty good grocery shopper and we share some things - for example, I provide all the tea and coffee, baking supplies, etc. and am free to use from her stash of oatmeal, pasta, etc. She does buy some "hot pockets" and little frozen pizzas, etc. but she craves those things and said it's a whole lot cheaper than ordering takeout - and she is right.

So I ramble - and then I'm off to take a look for some surveys to do - I really don't have much else to do today - the house got a good cleaning Friday night, cooking got done yesterday - and my sister is with my parents, helping them for a few days - as she should be - so I feel like I"m getting a real "off duty, no worries, no guilt" kind of day.

Have a Happy Sunday!

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I slept OK but got up around 5 to give Pippi her first breakfast. I went back to bed until 7 but didn’t sleep much.

I am technology challenged when it comes to photos (and other things) but I “think” I ordered some prints of Pippi from CVS from my phone and will pick them up today. (Originally I thought I’d have them mailed so as not to go into the store but that didn’t seem to be an option.) Unlike MrsCreative who had prints and books made of all her travel photos, mine are still on my phone (backed up with Amazon Photos thanks to Maggie mentioning it). Maybe I’ll finally get my act together and get those photos printed.

I accomplished only a few tasks yesterday but I did finish my puzzle. At the end I was missing one piece but found it upside down on the floor. This puzzle, a primitive design, looked like a Jackson Pollock mess when I first saw the pieces in the box but slowly it came together and looks nice.

When I was out for my Walmart pickup yesterday, I saw construction on the road to the vet and it said local traffic only. I saw signs something about this a week or so ago but the vet knew nothing. There is no back route to the vet but there is a back way to the shopping center next door. I’ll call the vet tomorrow to check on options for Tuesday morning. This construction (sewers) is supposed to last about a week.

No more puzzles until I finish my Christmas cards today! I also need to wrap the few gifts I’m giving.

I’m wondering about Patty. We have not heard from her since right after she fell. Hope it is just that she is busy with Christmas.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:15 am
Good morning friends.

I slept OK but got up around 5 to give Pippi her first breakfast. I went back to bed until 7 but didn’t sleep much.

I am technology challenged when it comes to photos (and other things) but I “think” I ordered some prints of Pippi from CVS from my phone and will pick them up today. (Originally I thought I’d have them mailed so as not to go into the store but that didn’t seem to be an option.) Unlike MrsCreative who had prints and books made of all her travel photos, mine are still on my phone (backed up with Amazon Photos thanks to Maggie mentioning it). Maybe I’ll finally get my act together and get those photos printed.

I accomplished only a few tasks yesterday but I did finish my puzzle. At the end I was missing one piece but found it upside down on the floor. This puzzle, a primitive design, looked like a Jackson Pollock mess when I first saw the pieces in the box but slowly it came together and looks nice.

When I was out for my Walmart pickup yesterday, I saw construction on the road to the vet and it said local traffic only. I saw signs something about this a week or so ago but the vet knew nothing. There is no back route to the vet but there is a back way to the shopping center next door. I’ll call the vet tomorrow to check on options for Tuesday morning. This construction (sewers) is supposed to last about a week.

No more puzzles until I finish my Christmas cards today! I also need to wrap the few gifts I’m giving.

I’m wondering about Patty. We have not heard from her since right after she fell. Hope it is just that she is busy with Christmas.

Enjoy your Sunday.
Patty and I are friends on Face Book and she has posted a few things there over the last week. She seems to be busy with getting ready for Christmas.