Daily Check in Jan 20, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: Daily Check in Jan 20, 2021

Post by frugalmom »

Hello everybody! I was glued to the tv for parts of the day watching the Inauguration! I got the message of unity and inclusion which I appreciated. I liked that they included regular people and honored the Capitol policeman that diverted the attention of the attackers away from the Senate on Jan. 6 and I loved the nurse who sang 'Amazing Grace"! She is like a professional singer!

I loved Michelle Obama's gorgeous outfit-she always has such style! And Harris looked sharp in her blue long coat and outfit(although in some shots it looked purple-but I think it was blue!?). And Dr. Jill Biden's fuschia(?) coat during the night ceremony. Loved the flags and the lights and the fireworks. I thought Biden's speech was beautiful and the youth poet laureate (Amanda Gorman?) was so polished and such a beautiful poem-she is like a young Maya Angelou-but I am sure she will be her own person and has a long way to go so will have a bright future ahead of her! Heard she sold two books and was on the top list for Amazon, etc.? She was elegant and eloquent!

I liked that they included multiculturalism and included the Native Americans as well-wish there were more of that. I was watching the news and apparently I think it was the Secretary of State Mike Pompeo saying multiculturalism is "NOT who America is." Like what!? It IS what America is all about -what is the Statue of LIberty representing then?! I am just so ashamed of what the Republican party has denigrated to-we have to remember the principles we stand for and idk what it stands for anymore!? Thi sis the first time I watched most of the Inauguration and hopefully it brings peace-but already on Fox news the Republican side is attacking Biden-oh here we go again, I am thinking! Not even one day of peace!? Sheesh-let him have his moment! At least he did some work today! One thing I don;t understand is why can't he make a mask mandate throughout the nation, instead of just federal land or property?!

We had steak bayette with demi-glace (whatever that was -it tastes really good-have to figure out how to make that from scratch-tastes like some balsamic vinegar in there!?),asparagus and mashed potato. I got free boxes and ordered a few week's of meals(2 per week is the minimum). I will have to cancel it soon, but it has been a nice treat but too much cooking for me especially squinting at the recipe cards!
Everything I have tried tasted delicious so far and it was a nice treat! For dinner, I made something very easy-chimichangas (beef and bean kind-found out kids only like the bean and cheese ones-so I put a little layer of oil to fry-bake it til crispy and they loved it! It was 2.50 for the 8 pieces. So this was my frugal endeavor today!

Tomorrow I plan to make lettuce cups (I usually make this but this will be based on a Whole 30 recipe that I found somewhere online and it has orange pieces in it which sounds fresh and good! Today I walked but I also played basketball with my teen son. He liked didn't know what to do with me afraid I was going to get hurt! I used to play with my other son and we would beat the other kids and dads even, but that was like 20 years ago or so! Boy did I feel strange playing basketball now-like no strength or coordination even. It was 16-20 but I am sure he was easy on me lol- and kept dunking on me! The dog wanted to play too and he usually plays basketball with my son and blocks him-but my son was worried with the dog I would get hurt more. I must admit my back is a bit sore right now! I definitely felt my age today and my arms are like jello in more ways than one! Basically, I felt like an old lady! Let's hope and pray that my back does not get worse than this tonight and flare up-keeping my fingers crossed!

I got my Bible study books-supposed to be simple to understand-these days I need simple with large fonts (but sadly this is not large font). It starts from the beginning-Genesis. And it is a workbook that you fill in. I was reading the Bible and sometimes I don't understand what it really is saying, so hopefully, this helps me a bit! My son is learning to crochet-and he is getting frustrated with it trying and trying and not getting it yet! My dd (older one) may be moving back home-why pay outrageous rent when working at home anyway? If she does, I have to move everything since I made her room a storage room basically! I don't like clutter so if it is clutter, I stick it in that room :shock: ! So there will be 5 people at home once again and cooking for everyone(she will also cook she said and she offered money but I said no it is ok-just pay any debts off that you have!). So definitely will have to cancel Hello Fresh-it will be too expensive then!
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Mrscreative wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:21 am
This morning I have a phone consultation with my family physician. I have so much to update her with on in regards to my cancer journey and the more recent genetic testing results. I originally had wanted to see her as I could feel a hardened ridge near my breast incision. But my radiation oncologist had an in person appointment for me, did a physical examination and feels it is just scar tissue. There had been an administrative error and my mammogram hadn’t been scheduled. It was due the end of this month, but fortunately for me there had been a cancellation so that is now in place. Now just to get the colonoscopy out of the way! I will have her give the surgeon a nudge as I already called his office. There’s a tremendous backlog due to Covid and he performs many other procedures as well. In fact he was the surgeon who completed my lumpectomy.
Creative,

In regards to the ridged scar tissue near your breast incision-did none of your doctors ever say for you to rub the scar area with your fingers, after the incision was healed? That is what my plastic surgeons and breast cancer surgeon told me to do. You may feel a little pop, or a slight crackling sensation, as you rub gently but firmly with your fingers along the area. My plastic surgeons told me that rubbing it would help the area to heal more completely, and urged me to rub on my incisions as soon as two weeks after surgery.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:23 am Creative,

In regards to the ridged scar tissue near your breast incision-did none of your doctors ever say for you to rub the scar area with your fingers, after the incision was healed? That is what my plastic surgeons and breast cancer surgeon told me to do. You may feel a little pop, or a slight crackling sensation, as you rub gently but firmly with your fingers along the area. My plastic surgeons told me that rubbing it would help the area to heal more completely, and urged me to rub on my incisions as soon as two weeks after surgery.
No not really but I assume my scar tissue would be much less than yours with only a lumpectomy. I applied Bio oil the breast and lymph node incisions and they have both healed up so nicely. No numbness or tingling- have full sensation as before.

It just seemed to feel a little firmer than before and I think once you have breast cancer you just become super vigilant. I have my mammogram on January 27th, my first one since this journey began.

Thanks so much Gayle for this advice. I joined the support group My Lifetime.Org which is American based. My oldest Dd gave me the link as she has a good friend who is a coordinator with this organization. Because of Covid, I just felt so alone here when I first started taking the AI Letrozole, with its side effects. It made me nauseous and I literally was forcing myself to eat. I did lose weight. But the worst was this underlying anxiety, with no basis. Physically I could do everything I could before, no pain, etc. It was a mental thing and I felt a pit in my stomach as soon as I got up. I wasn’t very active on the forum at this time. I slept okay, but as soon as I woke up the next day I would feel it. Miraculously it disappeared as quickly as it appeared around the beginning of December. I’m not going to question anything- just living life to the fullest! I have not experienced the most common side effects of night sweats or muscular and joint pain. I am feeling completely recovered!
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Mrscreative wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:32 pm No not really but I assume my scar tissue would be much less than yours with only a lumpectomy. I applied Bio oil the breast and lymph node incisions and they have both healed up so nicely. No numbness or tingling- have full sensation as before.

It just seemed to feel a little firmer than before and I think once you have breast cancer you just become super vigilant. I have my mammogram on January 27th, my first one since this journey began.

Thanks so much Gayle for this advice. I joined the support group My Lifetime.Org which is American based. My oldest Dd gave me the link as she has a good friend who is a coordinator with this organization. Because of Covid, I just felt so alone here when I first started taking the AI Letrozole, with its side effects. It made me nauseous and I literally was forcing myself to eat. I did lose weight. But the worst was this underlying anxiety, with no basis. Physically I could do everything I could before, no pain, etc. It was a mental thing and I felt a pit in my stomach as soon as I got up. I wasn’t very active on the forum at this time. I slept okay, but as soon as I woke up the next day I would feel it. Miraculously it disappeared as quickly as it appeared around the beginning of December. I’m not going to question anything- just living life to the fullest! I have not experienced the most common side effects of night sweats or muscular and joint pain. I am feeling completely recovered!
I wasn’t really referring to the incision itself, but more so to the scar tissue the forms under the incision in your tissue under your skin. I received the same advice about massaging the incision area after it healed in regards to my nipple reconstruction, which the longest incision there was approximately 1/2 inch, as I did on my long abdominal scar where are my DIEP flap tissue was removed for breast reconstruction.

I don’t remember if I have heard of bio oil before, will you tell me about it please?
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:07 pm I wasn’t really referring to the incision itself, but more so to the scar tissue the forms under the incision in your tissue under your skin. I received the same advice about massaging the incision area after it healed in regards to my nipple reconstruction, which the longest incision there was approximately 1/2 inch, as I did on my long abdominal scar where are my DIEP flap tissue was removed for breast reconstruction.

I don’t remember if I have heard of bio oil before, will you tell me about it please?
Bio oil perhaps is a Canadian product that helps to improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks, uneven skin tone, aging and dehydrated skin.

It’s a formulation of plant extracts and vitamins in an oil base. It’s hypoallergenic and has no preservatives. Just so you know I have no affiliation with this company, just a very satisfied customer. Do a Google search. In Canada it’s available through Amazon and also any pharmacy.

It’s greatly reduced all my scars, both breast and lymph nodes scars. In fact even when I lift my arm up in a sleeveless top, you can barely see the scar. It’s not overly expensive- less than $20 Canadian and I still have over half a bottle left. I did not use it while receiving radiation treatment.