COVID Shots

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Sandy

Re: COVID Shots

Post by Sandy »

HappyDaze wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:22 am
Sandy, I came here looking for this thread this morning. I got my first dose of Moderna yesterday. My arm hurts and I "might" be more tired than usual, hard to tell, lol. Can you fill me in more about the side effects of your second dose (providing I'm not being too nosy, if so just tell me and I won't be offended because I'm the nosy one)? I'm a bit nervous about it -- and I have to convince my stubborn parents to take their shots!
The effects took about 36 hours to really set in. The first 12...fine. By 24 hours I was beginning to feel really fatigued and my arm was getting sore. By 36 hours the body aches started along with the beginning temp. I never really had the type of chills you'd expect (with ANY fever I usually freeze) but stayed in my recliner covered with a light quilt...no shivering or teeth chattering. No headache, either, as lots of folks report, and no GI issues. I was told by my doctor to take nothing like Tylenol before the shots to try and get ahead of aches and fever but that it was fine to do so, if needed, afterwards (I didn't take anything until the discomfort became too much).

All and all, my experience wasn't really that bad. I can remember feeling worse from times I've had a common cold. I think with the COVID vaccines, it's the unknown that's scary but you'll do fine. Do what you need to do to be comfortable for about 48 hours, give or take, even if that's staying on the couch. OH! I also made sure to have plenty of the types of foods I could waddle to the kitchen and get (soups, oatmeal, bananas, crackers and cheese, Jello, bottled water...etc). I was home alone as everyone else was working and I had fixed several meat dishes for them ,beforehand, to build meals around (I knew I'd be wanting something lighter).

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

floridacatlover wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:26 am
Another thing I want to mention since your vaccination location is 80+ miles round trip is that my side effects did not begin for at least six hours after the shot. I traveled 70 miles round trip because of availability and I was most nervous that I’d start feeling bad while driving alone. No problems at all with that. So I want to reassure you on that point.
Yes, I agree. I drove myself to both shots and not one bit of trouble. The only time I need a driver is whenever I have an endoscopy procedure and that's because I'm actually put fully asleep and wake up feeling good but a bit wonky.

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

My parents (79) got their 2nd Pfizer shots on Wednesday, and a day or so later they were just got pretty tired. My stepmom even took two naps, yesterday, and she never usually naps, lol

I'm scheduled for my 1st shot on the 11th. Don't know which one.

Illinois opened up for people 16-64 who are high risk. But last I heard, Chicago/Cook county is still just doing people 65+.
ohjodi

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

ohjodi wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:13 pm
My parents (79) got their 2nd Pfizer shots on Wednesday, and a day or so later they were just got pretty tired. My stepmom even took two naps, yesterday, and she never usually naps, lol

I'm scheduled for my 1st shot on the 11th. Don't know which one.

Illinois opened up for people 16-64 who are high risk. But last I heard, Chicago/Cook county is still just doing people 65+.
My son got his first shot today (Pfizer) and will get his second in 21 days. He's early 30's with no underlying health issues but he's Choctaw and got his vaccine through the Choctaw Nation Hospital near us.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Thank you friends for your reassurance, I so appreciate it.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

HappyDaze wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:04 pm
Thank you friends for your reassurance, I so appreciate it.
:D