Daily Check in Feb 18, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Feb 18, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:01 am Owned, (((HUGS))). That's the right approach: Don't worry until there's a real need to.

Penny, I am so glad you have heat and water. I hope Texas gets some relief soon.

And Maggie, I am sorry you are having such a tough time. (((HUGS)))

Jackie, you do what you gotta do, girl. You have been waiting FOREVER for that surgery!

I am at work, taking my little coffee break. We had snow last night, but the roads were good this morning. Work was not delayed -- boo. We had five new admissions to the dorm last night. The building is half-full right now. We use only the odd-numbered rooms for distancing, so so half-full is actually one-quarter of the number of rooms. At this rate, if some of them can't go home soon to convalesce, we will be full by Monday.

There are a lot of days when I think this pandemic is never going to end. It sure feels like it right now.

The excellent news is that DH does not have Covid and is feeling better today. He is going to see his podiatrist to get his toe checked, just in case, but it seems like possibly he's had a garden variety winter virus and nothing deadly this time around. I used to not consider podiatrists real doctors, but this one is the guy who took care of DH in the hospital when he got MRSA from a blister on his pinky toe, and I was impressed. He took DH on as a regular patient after he left the hospital. Now if he could just convince DH to stop digging around in his feet with nail clippers ... sigh.

Only ten more days of February, right?

Good news for your family on DH not having Covid-19. A relief for all of you I am sure.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

itspennyc wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:21 am Just a quick update. I have electric and running water. We are under a boil water advisory. I took a shower this morning. It felt wonderful.

It is 29º F this morning. They are predicting freezing rain and snow.

Penny
Happy to read that you have heat and water again. I know our power plants here in Saskatchewan are sending power your way.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Mackie I am very cautious with the clippers..actually what I do and Dr days it's okay is I get pedicures. I just tell them they cannot cut the cuticle just push.i know not all guys like the pedi idea although the men in my family live it.

We've now had power and electric heat for 12 hours. However we have a burn order for water, no one has any cause of hoarding and no gricery pick up or delivery till Sunday or Sat pm...I will be fine. Still conserving. Drinking, teeth brushing, using wipes and sanitizers for hands and for now loading dishes in dishwasher till I have a nice good pike to wash.

I am so going to need a long long hot shower.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Hello all,

Prayers for all....sounds like everyone needs them.

I got woken up early, DD (dads house) called freaking out....no water. She thought frozen pipes.....water softener and pressure tank are in garage. I led her thru steps to open taps and all I could on the tele while trying to calm her down and try to get myself awake :roll:

My parents never had frozen pipes so I knew it had to originate in the garage.

Sent her to work and called my "dude" met him there, it is the pressure tank and yes there was a broken pipe...it didn't help that she had not paid attention to the heat lamp/heat tape set up and it wasn't working. :roll:
Walking into the garage I took a fall and bounced my head off the floor...have a goose egg and slight headache but otherwise okay. The water was coming from the water softener set up and that cement floor has a mirror finish. I am fine but know I will be sore later.
I laid down a large piece carpet and have warned DD to be careful. My worker was right behind me when I fell, he checked me out and said You are going to have a bump and a head ache. Yep.....
I am not cut out to be a landlord....and to be honest I do not think my DD is cut out to be a home owner...she needs someone to be in charge of stuff.

I have applied an ice pack to the head bump and it is better. I have laundry going and piddling around the house until the worker dude calls and tells me he is back to replace the tank and pipes.
He is trying to get heat to people and like I told him, we have heat, she can bathe and such here at my house. Water for toilets can be hauled down there in cat litter jugs, it may be this afternoon or tomorrow morning before it gets fixed. In this weather it is more important that people get heat.

I do not like this weather.

JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Well it is snowing again

It got up to the 40s yesterday but is freezing again today. Still have power but water is out again. They are having issues with the city water pumps. Poor guys

But people are helping people. Churches are open if you need shelter. One place made 250 meals to give out yeserday and will be giving out 500 today

I did not sleep at all last night. I swear these animals are going to be the death of me. I am done with pets. After they are gone, no more. I see much older folks trying to get to hotels, but can't due to pets. I don't want to be that old lady if this happens again.

elderly pup has been barking and going back and forth all morning. he's been fed etc. He usually quiets down after that.

no fun being sick and being in a "disaster". At least i don't have small kids. Sad stories there.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

JCKitty, just try to take it easy today. You are right that your daughter can wait until others get heat.

Clem, has your old dog ever been crated? He may be too old to learn to like it, but I'd be about ready to keep him somewhat confined at night so he couldn't wander and keep everyone awake. You must have rest to recover.

I just sat through an excruciating two-hour Zoom meeting. Because I had students calling for me to tend to them, I had to keep turning off my video and running out of the room. Finally just gave up when it went over the two-hour mark and I had to deliver their lunches. It must be just great to be able to take two hours off work without any interruptions in the middle of the morning!
Mackie