Daily check-in March 21, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Daily check-in March 21, 2021

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning beautiful people,

Just to get us started
Mrscreative

Re: Daily check-in March 21, 2021

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning beautiful people,

I went to bed exhausted but Dh and I made good progress on threading the electrical wire through the finished walls and ceiling. We worked about 7 hours but saved at least $1000 so I would say it was worth it. We removed the paneling carefully so it can go back up on the wall with no additional cost. We have about 10 more feet to go. But this part is through drywall so it can’t be removed. Probably the most challenging part but at least the wire is not kinked. If worse comes to worse, we’ll string it along the ceiling and cover it up with some type of molding. Don’t even talk about kinks in the electrical wire and the frustration of trying to thread the wire through. One thing we can both confirm- neither one of us wish to become electricians. It’s so much easier when you have bare walls and ceilings to deal with. That’s why little interest was expressed in the past when we had contractors in to give an estimate. And the estimates we were given were so high. The qualified electrician ( friend of Dh) is coming Monday morning to do the actual wiring to the electrical box and installing the switches. On top of all that, I finished the laundry yesterday and prepared all meals from home. There will be a lot of clean up following that and Dh will have to reinstall the paneling and possibly have to shop for some replacement pieces. I still don’t know how we finished the whole basement ourselves 30 years ago with the exception of the framing and wiring. But we were both that much younger too.

I just hope to have the strength to get through today and hopefully things will go quite seamlessly tomorrow. I hope you all have a great day! Thanks for listening, my frugal friends!

Creative
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I am up, have taken my weekly bone building med and am now waiting the thirty minutes before having coffee. Please forgive any glaring errors in spelling or grammar, just put them down to lack of caffeine.

We did not get the forecasted rain yesterday, a pity really as the ground is so dry. I know the farmers are very worried about the planting of crops this year. Moisture is definitely needed. We had very little snowfall this past winter, and hardly any rain through the spring summer and fall. Actually had very little rain or snow through the last two years.

Not much happening today. I will watch Mass on the television this morning, and probably work on my quilt top. Walking is definitely on the list as well. After the tick adventure of yesterday though, my walks will be down pavement and perhaps even in the middle of the street.

Frugally speaking here on the old homestead I will be using up leftovers for lunch, and Hubby wants to go and get chicken today which with a coupon and the money my DSis gave me will not cost us a cent. "J" gave me the money to keep me from cooking too much. May as well use it. Makes this a no spend day.

I also plan on baking a cake for our desserts this week as well as figuring out what to do with some frozen fruit from last year. It needs to be used before it goes bad. If I can't clean, at least I can bake, cause hopefully nothing weighs over 10 pounds when done.

Fuel is now $1.20 a liter here. I am glad that youngest DS has a gas efficient vehicle as do we. Eldest DS on the other hand uses a bit more in his SUV. As I have said before gas prices as well as food prices are rising rapidly. I really worry about those that can not afford the higher costs. Sale costs on meat here are now what the regular cost used to be and items like dried beans or lentils have risen accordingly. I heard from a friends husband who had gone shopping a few days ago that there are empty shelves once more in many of the stores. It almost sounds like people are going to be hoarding once again.

Well off to make a few more posts, and read the forum.

Today I am grateful that we planned for our retirement.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Mrscreative wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:37 am Good morning beautiful people,

I went to bed exhausted but Dh and I made good progress on threading the electrical wire through the finished walls and ceiling. We worked about 7 hours but saved at least $1000 so I would say it was worth it. We removed the paneling carefully so it can go back up on the wall with no additional cost. We have about 10 more feet to go. But this part is through drywall so it can’t be removed. Probably the most challenging part but at least the wire is not kinked. If worse comes to worse, we’ll string it along the ceiling and cover it up with some type of molding. Don’t even talk about kinks in the electrical wire and the frustration of trying to thread the wire through. One thing we can both confirm- neither one of us wish to become electricians. It’s so much easier when you have bare walls and ceilings to deal with. That’s why little interest was expressed in the past when we had contractors in to give an estimate. And the estimates we were given were so high. The qualified electrician ( friend of Dh) is coming Monday morning to do the actual wiring to the electrical box and installing the switches. On top of all that, I finished the laundry yesterday and prepared all meals from home. There will be a lot of clean up following that and Dh will have to reinstall the paneling and possibly have to shop for some replacement pieces. I still don’t know how we finished the whole basement ourselves 30 years ago with the exception of the framing and wiring. But we were both that much younger too.

I just hope to have the strength to get through today and hopefully things will go quite seamlessly tomorrow. I hope you all have a great day! Thanks for listening, my frugal friends!

Creative
I think our ages had a lot to do with how long it took us to finish our basement after being flooded. We did the whole upstairs (dry walled, removed walls, painted, laid floors) in less time than it took to do the basement. However like you we were 30 years younger, with no aches and pains.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good Morning Jackie, Creative and Everyone. It's a lovely spring morning here - chilly now, but with the promise of temps in the mid 60's later on. Was up early to go tend to my boss's dogs. Nothing exciting going on here and nothing big on today's agenda - walking the dogs and such - same old thing.

Wishing everyone a beautiful Sunday.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Creative, you and your DH are amazing! I know that even my mom and dad who were big DIYers would never attempt to do wiring. It is funny that although we’ve never met, I somehow have in recent years equated you with my dental hygienist. (She also has 2 very smart girls a few years younger than your girls.) This hygienist, Julie, and her DH are in their 50s and are completely renovating their home which, like my mom’s house, was built in the 1960s. It has been very slow and I think has pretty much stopped during Covid. Anyway, I would think that adding a/c will increase your home value even though northern Ontario is not like Florida.

Jackie, you sound like you are bored with your needlework/quilting. Now that you’ve had your surgery and will be getting the vaccine, maybe you could plan a getaway to one of the parks that you enjoy. I find that the planning is half the fun. Just an idea.

I slept pretty well but again had trouble getting up this morning.

Yesterday I did virtually nothing except my puzzle. (Finished it.)

Today I will go to mom’s house and stop at Publix on the way. I need a jug of litter to use when Pippi stays at mom’s house next week when my a/c is replaced. (I already have an extra litter box there from years past.) I also need cat food and treats. There was a sign on the shelf last time that the chicken-based cat food was in short supply from the vendor so I hope I can get what Pippi currently prefers.

At mom’s house I’m not sure if I’ll wash the car but I’ll do something.

I have two more episodes in season 2 of Killing Eve. Most likely I won’t get through season 3 before my free month of Hulu expires but I’ve already checked and my library has the dvds. I signed up last night for a month of Peacock Plus ($4.99) to watch the World Figure Skating competition this week in Stockholm. No spectators in the arena and they are keeping the skaters and coaches confined to a hotel attached to the venue.

Have a good day.