Daily Check in April 12, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Beverley

Re: Daily Check in April 12, 2021

Post by Beverley »

Good afternoon,
I did my bi-weekly grocery store trip yesterday and ended up spending $146.00 in spite of all the sales, discounts and markdowns. In all fairness though Ii do tend to buy the more expensive cuts of meats. I get them anywhere from $1.00 to $5.00 (even got a beef kabob for half off!) and the sizes are right for two servings. It really helps with portion control for both DS and myself. I also started buying those $3.50 salad kits that my brother turned me on to. They seem more expensive on the surface but consider they all contain shredded lettuce, kale, cabbage, carrots, etc. They include dressings and toppings. I figure buying all the ingredients individually would cost as much and would go bad before I used it all plus I don't like making salads. They come in 3 serving containers; another means of portion control. Ii am on track to try to take off some weight. I now have Tuesdays off from work so I can get active in TOPS again. I really need it. I still have work three days a week and that is enough for me.

After coming home and putting everything away I cooked up a storm to have some make ahead things in case I get laid up to allergies or an arthritis flare. So much healthier doing it this way instead of ordering takeout when I am ailing. Today is one of those allergy days so I have already had some salad and another meal from the store I got a nice discount on. Two servings split between DS and myself. I did manage to make organic chicken broth today from all the chicken I cooked, deboned and put in freezer. Two and a half more months on my current job and then we will be on summer recess for two weeks. Traditional and modified tradition schools get more time off but the year round schools like the one I work at only get the first two weeks in July when the entire district shuts down to prepare for the coming year. I have a feeling that with the push to re-open everything we will be back to a regular school schedule come July 15. So my schedule will be bac to 4 hours a day if I don't have to be there early for crosswalk duty. I hope that will work because that will mean more time for me in the mornings before work.

Well I am going to go do some surveys. Take care and be safe!

Bev
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

itspennyc wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:12 am My oldest is 57, yet is seems like yesterday he was a newborn.

Penny
I am 54 and I am sure my parents feel the same way as you and Owned.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Update:

i made a trip to DG...needed window cleaner and canned dog food for my spoiled dog :roll: he is so worth it though...
Came home and ended up doing some raking and hauling of leaves and pine straw...could not finish that area...just too wet. IF it does not rain tonight I hope to finish it tomorrow and cross that off my list.

It did turn sunny and temps are comfortable.

JCKitty
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne apres midi toute le monde!

Well, it was nice out this morning and by 3:00? The place is Christmas snow out there. Like Jackie, I was hoping for a nice couple of days of slow rain. Not gonna happen I don't think. But it is a wee bit of moisture for grass, gardens and fields. I am still holding out a small amount of hope that this snow turns to rain overnight and goes for 2 or 3 days.

I got up early, too early. I watched some of the news and went back to bed for a while. Then got up in time to watch the Chauvin Trial out of Minneapolis. A friend of mine, in Boston, is a respiratory therapist and is following this trial very closely with her facebook group of other respiratory therapists. They found the testimony of the pulmonary physiologist extremely good and of course had all taken courses with books he had written. Today's testimony by George Floyd's brother, Philonise, was heartbreaking. They'd show him a photo of George and his Mom. He'd get a big smile and tell about it and then burst into tears. George was his big brother. It's a very sad trial all around. I spent the first 6-years of my life in Minneapolis and have loads of friends and family there. One high school friend lives about 8 blocks from where his death occurred.

I made the brownies that called for 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. It called for semi-sweet chocolate chips but I had an open bag from Christmas and used the last of that, it measured exactly to what the recipe called for to be used. I also went so far as to weigh the butter instead of fiddling around with 5 tablespoons. That made it SO EASY! The recipe if VERY EASY PEASY and whipped up in no time. Holy smoly! If you want a chocolate coma! These would be awesome as brownie sundaes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, some chocolate syrup and whipped cream. Go fancy and add the cherry! I didn't have any of that but I'd highly recommend it when they come out warm. As per the recipe, I stored them in the fridge overnight and had one with lunch, delicious. I'll post the recipe. It makes a nice 8x8 inch pan.

I got a late start on lunch and am just now having my first coffee of the day. I haven't figured out what to have for supper. I had rice for lunch with a brownie for dessert. I may just cook-up some onions, carrots and celery with garlic and some spices and have veggies for dinner.

Not much else happening around here. I'll get the recipe posted.

That's the skinny from around here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:22 pm Bonne apres midi toute le monde!

Well, it was nice out this morning and by 3:00? The place is Christmas snow out there. Like Jackie, I was hoping for a nice couple of days of slow rain. Not gonna happen I don't think. But it is a wee bit of moisture for grass, gardens and fields. I am still holding out a small amount of hope that this snow turns to rain overnight and goes for 2 or 3 days.

I got up early, too early. I watched some of the news and went back to bed for a while. Then got up in time to watch the Chauvin Trial out of Minneapolis. A friend of mine, in Boston, is a respiratory therapist and is following this trial very closely with her facebook group of other respiratory therapists. They found the testimony of the pulmonary physiologist extremely good and of course had all taken courses with books he had written. Today's testimony by George Floyd's brother, Philonise, was heartbreaking. They'd show him a photo of George and his Mom. He'd get a big smile and tell about it and then burst into tears. George was his big brother. It's a very sad trial all around. I spent the first 6-years of my life in Minneapolis and have loads of friends and family there. One high school friend lives about 8 blocks from where his death occurred.

I made the brownies that called for 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. It called for semi-sweet chocolate chips but I had an open bag from Christmas and used the last of that, it measured exactly to what the recipe called for to be used. I also went so far as to weigh the butter instead of fiddling around with 5 tablespoons. That made it SO EASY! The recipe if VERY EASY PEASY and whipped up in no time. Holy smoly! If you want a chocolate coma! These would be awesome as brownie sundaes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, some chocolate syrup and whipped cream. Go fancy and add the cherry! I didn't have any of that but I'd highly recommend it when they come out warm. As per the recipe, I stored them in the fridge overnight and had one with lunch, delicious. I'll post the recipe. It makes a nice 8x8 inch pan.

I got a late start on lunch and am just now having my first coffee of the day. I haven't figured out what to have for supper. I had rice for lunch with a brownie for dessert. I may just cook-up some onions, carrots and celery with garlic and some spices and have veggies for dinner.

Not much else happening around here. I'll get the recipe posted.

That's the skinny from around here!

MJ
Hope you don't get all of what we have. Still snowing off and on this morning. I haven't measured yet but it looks like almost a foot of wet snow (could be way more in some of the drifts). Highways were shut down into the city due to semi's sliding off the road, or getting stuck. People are being warned every 5 minutes to stay off the roads.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/