Daily Check-in April 17,2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check-in April 17,2021

Post by MackerelCat »

I looked through the online photos of Prince Phillip's funeral. The Queen sitting alone seemed to underscore her loss but also how resolute she is.

It's a warm and lovely morning. The pollen count must be awful, but we're coping. I must do routine chores, make a grocery list and give the dogs baths. Did my laundry last night. DH is going to work on the back yard fence a bit more.

My favorite super comfy fisherman sandals were discontinued by the manufacturer. I bought some off eBay that arrived a few days ago without a box. They appear to have been store display shoes, but since I don't know how they were stored, I cleaned them thoroughly with disinfecting wipes and put them in the chest freezer in a bag for two days (in case of any bugs). Today they come out of the freezer and thaw out outside in the sunshine. This cleaning production reminded me why I almost never buy shoes or handbags on the secondhand market. It's much easier when something can go straight into the washing machine.

Hope you all have a day of peace.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

jckitty wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:14 am Good morning all,

Jackie, as a youngster we also used sliced bread for sandwiches...bread was cheaper and went further with 6 people in the family LOL.
I started "yeast baking" when I was about 13 ? and made buns ....mom thought it was too much work but I have always loved yeast baking. I have been using Clems recipe for buns since she posted the link.

I am up, lotioned and potioned and now....waiting on DD to call and say she is up and ready to go to town. We have to get gas in cans for mowers and possibly hit the DG. i want to get some hydrogen peroxide to make a cleaning solution I read about. I tested a small amount on my 40 year old fiberglass tub and it worked for me!

It is chilly this morning and very overcast, doubtful I can work on the door project. :(
I must have been clenching my jaw while sleeping, my jaw is sore feeling :roll: and I had been doing so well in that area.
I guess I will vacuum and clean floors today, I got some pieces of pork loin out of the freezer to make tenderloins this evening. Might make some sort of sweet...brownies???

Need to get this day started....
JCKitty
oh aren't those the best buns! I tried to make hot dog buns out of them too.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Stayed up way too late last night again. Ate too late so had to let that settle.

So I did not make it to the food bank. My arm is very sore anyway - so probably could not do much lifting. And that is basically what you do out there. Sorting, bagging/boxing and then putting things in peoples vehicles. Looks like they did not have the usual turnout in volunteers or clients.

It is a beautiful sunny cool day. Had to put on long sleeves. Perfect weather.

I was surprised that i craved a cup of coffee today. It is weird that I had lost my taste for it. Usually I would need two mugs first thing in the morning. Right now can barely finish one and yesterday had to remind myself to drink a cup of coffee! Covid related maybe. In general I just don't have much of an appetite. Well that pizza was good - but I mainly ate the crust. The COD hates the crust - so we split it - lol

Oh well

Have a great day.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Good morning all and Happy Saturday. I woke up with a splitting sinus headache. Ugh. I felt a bit better just sitting up, but I took my extra strength Tylenol sinus meds and it had helped immensely. It was very overcast and dark this morning. A weak sun is poking its head out right now, but I'm not sure how long that will last.

I need to do laundry today. And I'm going to do a use-it-up recipe this afternoon involving a pound of ground beef, a can of cheddar cheese soup and whatever pasta I have in the pantry. The can of soup has been in there for many months and I need to do something with it. I'm sure I can come up with something that will be edible, lol.

Jackie, your cookies sound good.

Hobbes turned 10 years old this week. It's hard to believe we've had him for that long. I hope he has 10+ good years left. He and Audrey both are my constant companions these days.

I've been doing some surveys this morning. I love seeing how the little bits of money add up over time...and it's faster than I would've imagined.

I missed the funeral but will check out photos and news items. Imagining the Queen sitting alone sort of captures the true picture of her life now, in a way. She seems such a strong and resolute person.

Clem, I hope you continue to feel better and over the lingering effects of the virus.

I think I'm in the market for a new coffee pot. Mine just doesn't seem to make very good coffee anymore. I've cleaned/descaled/etc. but it hasn't really helped. I'm looking at this pour over model, what do y'all think? Anyone have this and have strong opinions either way? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JLY1HSE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Patty
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by chocolite » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:18 am

Good morning all and Happy Saturday. I woke up with a splitting sinus headache. Ugh. I felt a bit better just sitting up, but I took my extra strength Tylenol sinus meds and it had helped immensely. It was very overcast and dark this morning. A weak sun is poking its head out right now, but I'm not sure how long that will last.

I need to do laundry today. And I'm going to do a use-it-up recipe this afternoon involving a pound of ground beef, a can of cheddar cheese soup and whatever pasta I have in the pantry. The can of soup has been in there for many months and I need to do something with it. I'm sure I can come up with something that will be edible, lol.

Jackie, your cookies sound good.

Hobbes turned 10 years old this week. It's hard to believe we've had him for that long. I hope he has 10+ good years left. He and Audrey both are my constant companions these days.

I've been doing some surveys this morning. I love seeing how the little bits of money add up over time...and it's faster than I would've imagined.

I missed the funeral but will check out photos and news items. Imagining the Queen sitting alone sort of captures the true picture of her life now, in a way. She seems such a strong and resolute person.

Clem, I hope you continue to feel better and over the lingering effects of the virus.

I think I'm in the market for a new coffee pot. Mine just doesn't seem to make very good coffee anymore. I've cleaned/descaled/etc. but it hasn't really helped. I'm looking at this pour over model, what do y'all think? Anyone have this and have strong opinions either way? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JLY1HSE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Patty
https://thenextchapterforpatty.blogspot.com/
I haven't used that one but I have used the Melita cone and filters. I haven't seen the ratings. But I would check and see which brand of filters is easiest to get in your town.

Penny
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

itspennyc wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:53 pm I haven't used that one but I have used the Melita cone and filters. I haven't seen the ratings. But I would check and see which brand of filters is easiest to get in your town.

Penny
Penny, I like the idea of a reusable stainless steel filter instead of using paper filters at all.
Patty