Daily Check in April 30, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: Daily Check in April 30, 2021

Post by frugalmom »

Good morning everybody!

Well first off, the thing I was complaining about how my bookmark bar and everything disappeared on my computer when I open it-well that hasn't resolved yet, but this morning a pop-up from Microsoft Edge popped up and said something about importing bookmark bar? So the only thing they had that I wanted listed was you tube and Idk if it will import bookmarks bar or what. I will see when I leave this site(bc it popped up when I was on here already) if it comes back. So I thought it was a google thing but maybe it was a Microsoft Edge update or something? It is so confusing to me-as I am no longer in the workforce, I feel like I am getting more into the dinosaur age or something-like I am being left behind in my old age (and I am not even that old yet!). And I do not go on the computer that much even!

Ok frugal things I have done-yesterday we were at Costco (yeah, I know NOT frugal lol-although that is where we get groceries in bulk-btw some guy walked out of there like with 20 toilet paper packages-like are we expecting shortages again!? :shock: ). I did not even get one toilet paper-albeit I was in a hurry and forgot! Anyways, I got a toilet for my 31 year old toilets (how often do people change those? If I didn't have to I wouldn't) which was 199.(it said 299. but must be on sale although we didn't know til we got up to the register). These are always out of stock right away bc they said hard to come in and when they do builders buy it right away-we have been waiting a whole year to get them!). These looked nice Kohler brand I believe is a good one (right?), We got our free tire rotation done on my 2007 Honda Civic and yes, we fit (barely lol) our toilet into the back seat! This is now my dd's car and we went to do the rotation and we didn't realize she had all her stuff still in the trunk-surprised when we opened the trunk and saw all the stuff and all our stuff we had to figure out how to fit in there! Had to be creative there!

Another frugal thing I did was I made funeral potatoes for the first time when I got a recipe. First, I was trying to get rid of cheese given to me (I don't eat much cheese so Idk what to do with all these cheese!?) so I made these and I guess I am not much of a casserole person bc we didn't really like it(good thing I made half of what it was supposed to be). But I hate wasting any food either-hence accepting free food from others if they don't use it, I will figure out a way! So in the morning, I turned the leftover funeral potatoes into corned beef hash. My son and husband were telling me it tasted different and looked different in color-lol-they suspected something was off. My son also drives me crazy bc he would leave bottles with some drink still left in it on the table-so I would fill it up with the other bottles he left(same type) and combine it til full and put it in the fridge for him again in his spot! I do this with water bottles too(I do not like bottles I drink mine from my filtered fridge but he thinks it tastes nasty so he drinks from bottles which is supposed to be my emergency supply-grrr!). He is the only one who drinks from bottles so it will only go to him. For guests I have a separate supply in a different garage fridge so it won't be mixed up.

My teen son just saved up 18k from his earnings from his business(Jan-April-bulk of it the past two months) to buy a new car-he will wait since he is driving my car when he needs to. But he decided not to buy one-although he suggested that he could pay payments at a car dealership which I said no you buy a car outright never payments. I said what happens if your business tanks overnight and you have no incoming money!? So he has enough to buy a decent car-I told him about leased cars and how they depreciate and when they are returned, that is when you can buy one as the car has depreciated and was paid for by the original customer. So he decided to hang on to his money longer and may invest in printing equipment when businesses close and sell their printing machines cheaper which he can pick up and do his own printing as well. They are charging outrageous prices-like one bid lately we got was 3200.00(ETA-at first I put 5k thinking that is what my son said but he corrected me-and they charged extra for like SET-UP fees for each piece-like no one ever charged that so far with us!) for printing up a bit over 100 hoodies! LIke forget that one-think bc it is in Silicon Valley area they think everyone is rich or something(we live far from Silicon Valley, but driveable to save shipping costs-so cheaper for us to go to Texas or out of state with shipping costs even!). So frugally speaking that is what we have been doing in our lives-making money (although not for me-for him!) and saving where I can!
Last edited by frugalmom on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Clem,
does your sister have anyone who could go to her doc appointments and have another set of ears to hear her instructions and diet? Would she even allow someone to hear and help? Could it be done by zoom?
Sounds a lot like my mom...

I installed the brass kick plates on the door! they look good, I have to do a retouch of paint cause I put a nick in it :( and I clipped a finger with my drill.... peroxide and a band aid and I am fine...it ticks me off more than hurts LOL

Beef stew is started and smells good! Next up is running the floor cleaner...sun is shining and it seems to be warming up a bit...getting some wind though. Was going to paint a couple of yard rockers but the wind...so on to "plan B" might nap later...cause I can...

JCKitty
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon beautiful people,

Beautiful bright sunny day today with warmer temperatures. It was perfect weather for me to wait outside for my vaccine. My day finally arrived and I received a Pfizer vaccine. The whole process went seamlessly. Afterwards Dh and I celebrated with a walk by the waterfront. So far no side effects aside from a slightly stiff arm.

Nothing much planned for today. I responded to a cousin about some genealogy information. Nice to hear from you again Ellen.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

jckitty wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:56 pm Clem,
does your sister have anyone who could go to her doc appointments and have another set of ears to hear her instructions and diet? Would she even allow someone to hear and help? Could it be done by zoom?
Sounds a lot like my mom...

I installed the brass kick plates on the door! they look good, I have to do a retouch of paint cause I put a nick in it :( and I clipped a finger with my drill.... peroxide and a band aid and I am fine...it ticks me off more than hurts LOL

Beef stew is started and smells good! Next up is running the floor cleaner...sun is shining and it seems to be warming up a bit...getting some wind though. Was going to paint a couple of yard rockers but the wind...so on to "plan B" might nap later...cause I can...

JCKitty
I wish we could include photos...I would love to see your door!
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Ellen Marie, your son is going to be a millionaire soon. He obviously inherited your money smarts!

Yay, Creative, for getting your shot!

Just now I beefed up the homemade seat cushion in my office desk chair with some leftover spun poly air conditioner filters that have been in the storage closet for nearly a year. I think they are some that were not the right size (they look too short for the units in the rooms). They're made of out what feels like loosely woven pads of scratchy quilt batting. I folded four in half and stuck them in the cushion cover I made. The chair now sits a lot more comfortably.

As you guess, any organization that won't even buy office supplies is not about to buy me a new chair. This one is pretty good except that the seat is hard.

During lunch I made an order at a web restaurant store for some bulk spices, a huge box of hot cocoa mix (DS drinks a big mug of it for breakfast every morning), and a #10 can of ketchup. Ketchup is ridiculously cheap at that size and can be frozen, so I'm going to decant it into a spare bottle in the fridge and freeze the rest in containers to thaw as needed. We go through a lot of ketchup -- DS eats it on almost everything -- so there will be some savings for my efforts and a stop to so many plastic bottles going into the trash.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne apres midi toute le monde!!

I was up at 7:30 am and messaged my friend, "Good morning!!" and then turned on the morning news. WHOA! I couldn't even focus I was still so tired! So I went back to bed and woke-up again at 9:30 am. MUCH better!

The friend I messaged this morning received her Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Today? She is off work with all over body pain and fatigue. Poor thing. I got away scott free on the first vaccine shot. Now? Just waiting around until our self-designated "epidemiologist" businessman Premier's 4 months until my next shot. I hope waiting all that time doesn't affect the efficacy. I also just want to have it done and be FULLY vaccinated. This same Premier has the "brilliant" plan of having all the teachers go to North Dakota to a vaccine site they will set-up at the border for them instead of just designating them at high priority for vaccines in the province. What can I say? He's a conservative, more concerned with money than lives.

I've been hanging out in my bathrobe waiting to take a shower. I am waiting on a phone call and you just KNOW that as soon as I get in the shower the phone will ring and I will miss that important call. I decided to make some coffee and am now having my two cups for the day and after they are gone? I'm risking it and having my shower!

What I am waiting on is a call from some people selling a car bike rack for only $20. I REALLY want it today so I can go get my new bike. I've been panicking about packing it into the car and having it rub against the open trunk while I drive the 1.5 hours home. A cheap bike rack? Perfect!! I had to go to Canadian Tire to buy bubble wrap (to wrap around parts of the bike that would come in contact with the open trunk) and tie down straps. Believe me, the $20 bike carrier is much cheaper and more appropriate. I'm just really anxious that I can get it today so I can go get the bicycle. I'm not sure the seller will wait until tomorrow. I got the money out of the bank and am ready to go but the bike carrier would be peachy and I could sell it again.

MORE big news!!! On our local "People of Brandon" page, someone was giving away a little hamster with cage and everything!! I have been looking for a little furry friend since Christmas but on my budget (yes, despite the bike spending splurge (income tax return is now gone), I do keep a budget!! LOL) I couldn't afford what the sellers on the Marketplace site were asking, the cage is mostly the big part of the cost. I've had hamsters before. I then was given budgies for a Christmas present and had them for over 10 years until they died. I am going to be a new Fur Kid's MOM!! It's a little girl hamster and her current Mom is giving her away due to her pandemic work hours not being conducive to taking care of her (I think she is currently working two jobs). I pick her up today too! Her name is Rem but I'm thinking I'll have to adjust her name or I'll adjust to Rem.

It looks like it might rain out there. I'm good for that as, just like over at Jackie's (we are only about 3.5 hours apart) house, it is VERY dry over here. We didn't really get any fall rains and while I enjoyed not having any huge snow dumps or blizzards this winter, we still haven't had any rain and everything is dry as a bone. Like Jackie, I am hoping for rain for farmers and gardeners and just all the outdoor plants and animals.

Well, that's the skinny from here!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.