keto products and other new products that taste good

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

Re: keto products and other new products that taste good

Post by chocolite »

ohjodi wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:53 pm Do try them! You will never know they are low carb. One experiment I did was to cut them into strips and simmer in chicken soup as "noodles".....that DID NOT work out, lol They were really rubbery.
Jodi, have you ever made mini pizzas on tortillas? I love them. I brush some oil on the tortillas, bake them for about 5-7 minutes, then pull them, add sauce and toppings, and bake again for about 5 minutes. Makes a wonderful thin crust pizza.
Patty
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

ohjodi wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 pm ALDI has Fit & Active Low Carb white Tortillas...............SEVEN grams of fiber in each tortilla! That's the same as a bowl of bran cereal! Package of eight is just TWO BUCKS. And they don't spike my blood sugar at all.

Calories 80
Fat 2g (sat 1g, monosat 1g, no trans)
Cholesterol 0g
Sodium 120 mg
Carbs 11g
....Fiber 7g
....sugars >1g
Protein 2g

I love these. I just discovered them last year. They're just regular white tortillas, they're not wheaty or grainy. They're about 7" or so wide.

I eat two or more per day. Most often I just spread a tiny film of butter on it and fold it in half, instead of any kind of bread with a meal or soup. Sometimes I make a plain flat "omelette" and fold it into the tortilla. I sometimes toast it a bit in my toaster oven, tear it into pieces, and have it with hummus. Great for tuna or chicken salad. Or just cheese. Or a tiny bit of butter and a tinier bit of honey. Believe it or not, honey doesn't spike my blood sugar, maybe because it tastes so sweet that I use much less of it than I do jam.

My gut loves the fiber! I stopped eating cereal ages ago, mainly because I ate it so seldom that the cereal would go stale, and the almond milk would go bad, and the carbs were just too much for me. And there's only so many beans a person can eat, LOL

I'm looking forward to when I can finally eat in a restaurant, I'm going to the Mexican place....and yes, I'm bringing my own tortillas! I'll toast them a little, tear them in half so they'll fit in my purse. That way I can take them out without it looking like I"m unfurling a giant tarp LOL I love Mexican, but rice and tortillas just kill me, I'm diabetic. I can skip rice, but it's sad to just scrape fillings out of the tortillas to eat with a fork, and I end up eating some of them, anyway.

I highly recommend these, even if you're not watching your carb intake. Everyone needs more fiber. I found a recipe to make "crepes" with them. Because I really miss pancakes, lol I haven't tried this yet, but here's the recipe. https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/turn-tortilla-into-french-crepe-0158163/
Darn-I don't have Aldi's out here! Is it an Aldi brand? Lucky you-I love Mexican food and had las Mulas today where I used leftover steak, cheese and I put avocado/homemade guacamole in between (usually I brown onions too but didn't thist ime since using leftovers) and on a cast iron skillet with a tiny bit of oil cook it on both sides. It is like a quesadilla. I only ate one tortilla and folded it over instead of the two tortillas for the rest of the family. These days even half is making me really full. Like I cannot even finish a burger I can only eat half which my son or dh eats my other half all too willingly!
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

It's an Aldi brand, but there are other brands out there. One I've seen here at walmart is Mission. But they cost more than twice as much. If they were my only choice, I"d buy them, but try to only eat half as much lol
ohjodi
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

ohjodi wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:06 am It's an Aldi brand, but there are other brands out there. One I've seen here at walmart is Mission. But they cost more than twice as much. If they were my only choice, I"d buy them, but try to only eat half as much lol
Yes I saw the Mission brand, but I think from what I remember it tasted like cardboard :shock: ! Oh Costco also has these breads and it looks normal and there is a little off taste on the regular white bread for sandwiches, but the hamburger and hot dog buns were like regular ones I could not tell the difference! I think it ranged from 1-3 net grams of carbs! If toasted the bread is fine so I can have one or two toast in the morning. I was just looking at the bagel I bought and it has like 64 g of carbs for one bagel-yikes! I do not like to eat all the bulk of it anyway so I just like the outer part of the top part lol-so I cut it near the top and scoop out any additional fluff bread in there.