keto products and other new products that taste good

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

keto products and other new products that taste good

Post by frugalmom »

I am not on a keto diet but I try to do a lower carb overall since my meals are carb heavy traditionally. I like my rice and noodles-what can I say!? So I try to curb carbs when I can in general. So I saw these keto cookies think the company is called ChipMonk. I got the sampler box of the bite kind. I am not into sweets usually and even these are very sweet for me. But I wanted to try them-they are not cheap and only 8 pieces in each bag, but even one goes a long way. I only need a pinch of the cookie to eat and I am satisfied-even one is good enough for me. <My kids are eating most of it and like it-lol-I am saying," hey save some for me!"

My favorite is the white chocolate macadamia one. My son likes the birthday cake and red velvet ones (that one tastes like a brownie). My dd likes the coconut one the best(I like it too-tastes like macaroons kind of). Peanut butter is good too,banana one she likes too and is ok. Choc chip pecan is ok too. So they don't taste like crunchy cookies but soft and like cake bites or top of muffins kind of texture and taste. They are made with monkfruit. Now Idk if it is related or if my son ate one too many, but he had the runs afterwards-lol-maybe from something else Idk just letting you all know. I have a sensitive stomach normally, yet I did not have this problem with these but then again I am only eating a pinch or one cookie at the most. Again for me, it is still too sweet for me, but if you like sweets this may be for you.

The other only Keto thing I have is Costco's Keto ice cream(not cheap either) think it was 11-12.00(so like 1.00 a bar). Like a vanilla ice cream bar with chocolate hard coating all on a stick. This was hard at first like really hard compared to regular ice cream bars. It was great for a keto ice cream (haven't been wowed yet with any but this is close).

A side note and this is NOT Keto I am sure, but Costco had naanwiches which is Indian like empanada or meat pie like texture with Chicken tikka masala (they have a vindaloo one too). My dd asked me to get this and it was pretty good for a snack or quick lunch(90 secs in the microwave wrapped in a paper towel). When you get a hankering for chicken tikka masala (I am not into that but my dd's favorite dish), this will hit the spot and a decent upgrade from a hot pocket!

Any new food item out there that you recommend? Ok this can be saving us money in a way so we don;t waste money trying something new that we may not end up liking-lol!? Oh my son just walked by me and said for the keto cookies(not the cookie bite but actual cookies from this company and also keto) he likes the Snickerdoodle one best. There is only one of each big sized cookie-and hey they are eating all of it I realize! :shock:
mbrudnic

Re: keto products and other new products that taste good

Post by mbrudnic »

So being a borderline type 2 diabetic, I watch my carbs. I do best if I limit my carbs to 30 grams per meal plus 2 snacks at 15 carbs each. I have been bad lately. I do have a sweet tooth. I try to stay with "real" foods. I bought a package of M&M brand ice cream cups, 17 Grams of carb each. They I snack on sliced lunchmeat or cheese in the form of slices/cheese sticks. I also will put a small handful of nuts and a small hand full of a sweet like M&Ms, Chocolate chips or even chocolate covered expresso beans (Choc-covered raisins would be good too if you like raisins).

I have made a few keto cookie recopies, but my system does not handle too much of the sugar substitutes.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

ALDI has Fit & Active Low Carb white Tortillas...............SEVEN grams of fiber in each tortilla! That's the same as a bowl of bran cereal! Package of eight is just TWO BUCKS. And they don't spike my blood sugar at all.

Calories 80
Fat 2g (sat 1g, monosat 1g, no trans)
Cholesterol 0g
Sodium 120 mg
Carbs 11g
....Fiber 7g
....sugars >1g
Protein 2g

I love these. I just discovered them last year. They're just regular white tortillas, they're not wheaty or grainy. They're about 7" or so wide.

I eat two or more per day. Most often I just spread a tiny film of butter on it and fold it in half, instead of any kind of bread with a meal or soup. Sometimes I make a plain flat "omelette" and fold it into the tortilla. I sometimes toast it a bit in my toaster oven, tear it into pieces, and have it with hummus. Great for tuna or chicken salad. Or just cheese. Or a tiny bit of butter and a tinier bit of honey. Believe it or not, honey doesn't spike my blood sugar, maybe because it tastes so sweet that I use much less of it than I do jam.

My gut loves the fiber! I stopped eating cereal ages ago, mainly because I ate it so seldom that the cereal would go stale, and the almond milk would go bad, and the carbs were just too much for me. And there's only so many beans a person can eat, LOL

I'm looking forward to when I can finally eat in a restaurant, I'm going to the Mexican place....and yes, I'm bringing my own tortillas! I'll toast them a little, tear them in half so they'll fit in my purse. That way I can take them out without it looking like I"m unfurling a giant tarp LOL I love Mexican, but rice and tortillas just kill me, I'm diabetic. I can skip rice, but it's sad to just scrape fillings out of the tortillas to eat with a fork, and I end up eating some of them, anyway.

I highly recommend these, even if you're not watching your carb intake. Everyone needs more fiber. I found a recipe to make "crepes" with them. Because I really miss pancakes, lol I haven't tried this yet, but here's the recipe. https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/turn-tortilla-into-french-crepe-0158163/
ohjodi
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Those tortillas sound good! After you subtract the fiber from the carbs they end up being just 4 carbs each, which is amazing. I need to be on a low carb plan. It's really the only "diet" I've had great success with.
Last edited by chocolite on Sun May 02, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patty
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

chocolite wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:53 pm Those tortillas sound good! After you subtract the fiber from the carbs they end up being just 3 carbs each, which is amazing. I need to be on a low carb plan. It's really the only "diet" I've had great success with.
Do try them! You will never know they are low carb. One experiment I did was to cut them into strips and simmer in chicken soup as "noodles".....that DID NOT work out, lol They were really rubbery.
ohjodi
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I have never done keto. In theory I limit my carbs but the reality is that I just try and use "white" as little as possible be it flour or sugar or pasta. I do have a coke daily. I also have a terrible,, terrible sugar addiction and most of my carbs are of the sweet variety although today they included panera grilled cheese and perhaps a cookie which I will need to make up tomortow.

Fake sugars also do not agree with me.

When I got type two my doctor encouraged me to have everyday food rather than special diet food or drinks or shakes and so on. So I just try to limit the everyday food that is bad and in general avoid all diet food by any other name

My theory of eating is that I concentrate on the five or six servings of fruit and vegetables and eating whole grain carbs and the protein and my required water. After I've done all that and eaten the good things, I feel less bad about the bad things.

Lol