The great ketchup caper

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
MackerelCat

Re: The great ketchup caper

Post by MackerelCat »

We are trying so hard to reduce the amount of plastic we use, but it's really hard with buying food. It takes thinking up entirely new ways of doing things. You could use the big cans of veggies to make ahead freezer meals for yourself of veggie entrees and soups, though.

I was very amused the other week at Goodwill: someone had donated an empty plain #10 can, and Goodwill had it priced at $1.99! I guess someone bought it because it was gone the next time I was there. I could start spray-painting them and have a little cottage industry. :-D
Mackie
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello friends,

Mackie, your comment about buying ketchup in a #10 can reminds me of seeing veggies in those 1 gallon cans. I might buy a few cans of green beans in that size & re-can them in quart or pint jars--I think I saw that Walmart has a Great Value 101 oz. can for $4.27, so that would be about $1.07 per quart of beans & fluid, and even less for pints.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

That is a great idea, Gayle. You have a big family with teenage boys, so recanning in quart jars would be a big time and money-saver for you.
Mackie