InstaCart Hidden Price Mark-uos

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
Prairie Waif2

InstaCart Hidden Price Mark-uos

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

I posted this on a check in but for those that don't read it this was an eye-opening show on how Instagram marks up the shelf prices of groceries. The butter was $4.00 and it cost the customer $8.00!! YIKES!!
This article from the show is really understandable with good examples and could save you lots of moolah.

MJ

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marketplace-instacart-pricing-1.6306306
Hope has a good imagination.
floridacatlover

Re: InstaCart Hidden Price Mark-uos

Post by floridacatlover »

It’s a good article.

The only thing you mentioned in the check-in that I believe is incorrect is that the Instacart prices are on the website/app. So someone does know what they’ll be paying but doesn’t know the store prices unless they’ve recently been in the store.

Both Aldi and Publix use Instacart here in the U.S. I’ve looked a bit at both sites but never used them. JC Kitty has had good luck using the Aldi Instacart. My friend used the Publix Instacart at the start of the pandemic and was unhappy with it in part because the shopper bought some incorrect items.

I don’t like the idea that there is a service fee plus a tip expected. I think they give special deals on the service fees sometimes (according to Kitty) or you can buy a year membership.

I won’t use it as long as I can drive but I’m very glad we now have delivery options (which the UK has had for years) if I can no longer drive.
Prairie Waif2

Re: InstaCart Hidden Price Mark-uos

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Yes, that is a good service for those who can't drive as long as they don't do crazy mark-ups like the story told. It might have a completely different business model in the USA. :-)

Here, in my town, it does cost more to use Instacart but about 3 of our grocery stores do offer delivery and only a tip to the driver is the fee. That's my Sobey's, Safeway and Co-op. It's nice to have.

I most certainly like the idea that people have a means, whether Instacart of through the store, to get groceries when you can't drive or, like me, can't find a ride to get to the store.

Thanks for bringing those differences to my attention!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.