My tips.. What are yours?

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
suzin.e.h

Re: My tips.. What are yours?

Post by suzin.e.h »

I'm having a garage sale the next 2 days...the money will be used to stock our pantry with groceries....I shop at Aldi's, you can't beat their prices...
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I wish we had a salvage grocery store around here. we have outlet stores but no salvage stores. I am going on line to see if I can find one that is a reasonable distance as I don't want to waste gas trying to save money on groceries.

I restarted a spending journal and that seems to be keeping me on track. try to stay out of the grocery stores and just do a quick trip for fresh produce weekly. too easy to just stop in for an item or two and end up with $50 worth of food! I used to do that all the time. really trying to make it all work so that I restock my stockpile and manage all that so that I don't have to toss expired canned goods. found two cans of cream of chicken soup that were dated 4/14 expire but perfectly fine. I added some left over veggies and a dash of hot sauce and black pepper and we both were fine, no gastric problems!

using what I have has saved a lot of money, using some creativity helps too and certainly I get a lot of great ideas from this forum! cj
tammy65

Post by tammy65 »

We pass by a small Amish salvage store on the way to visit my mil in the nursing home. We try to stop in every couple of weeks to see what they have in stock. I find great deals there. I stopped in last week and found gluten free granola in 10 oz bags for 50 cents a bag. I usually don't buy gluten free but bought a couple of bags to try. The granola tastes great! I usually use granola when I make a single apple crisp for myself (my husband doesn't like them) and also use a sprinkling of granola on my yogurt. I also found Beggin Strips for my dogs in the large bags for $3.79. These usually retail for over $10. I bought 4 bags of the treats and shared with my son and my mom.
They are constantly putting out new stock while I'm shopping and I sometimes feel that I should stop more often but if I did stop more often I'd be spending more money and just can't handle doing that.
rinty

Post by rinty »

peaches wrote:Well, since coming out of lurkdom.. I can't seem to hush up!! :lol: My MAIN tip is: (#1) Stay out of the stores. Can't spend if I don't go there. (#2) If I DO spend I try "2nd hand/used" stores first. (#3) I recycle ALOT of clothing into quilts.. then give as gifts.. No $ out. (#4) I curb-side shop....if it is something I think we can use or something one of my friends/family has mentioned they needed/wanted. (#5) I get inspired by reading about frugality... Which keeps me on track.. There is more but I'll let others... post theirs tips.

Soooo agree with your main top tip. I used to go on an internet site called Cindys Porch years ago. She said something I've used as a mantra since.

1.........Shop at Home first, and to follow that up....

2.............Do Instead of Buy.

Both these tips changed my attitude to spending, they were my wake up call. They are also Do-able. We all have tips that "speak " to us, these are mine ; )
peaches

Post by peaches »

rinty wrote:
peaches wrote:Well, since coming out of lurkdom.. I can't seem to hush up!! :lol: My MAIN tip is: (#1) Stay out of the stores. Can't spend if I don't go there. (#2) If I DO spend I try "2nd hand/used" stores first. (#3) I recycle ALOT of clothing into quilts.. then give as gifts.. No $ out. (#4) I curb-side shop....if it is something I think we can use or something one of my friends/family has mentioned they needed/wanted. (#5) I get inspired by reading about frugality... Which keeps me on track.. There is more but I'll let others... post theirs tips.

Soooo agree with your main top tip. I used to go on an internet site called Cindys Porch years ago. She said something I've used as a mantra since.

1.........Shop at Home first, and to follow that up....

2.............Do Instead of Buy.

Both these tips changed my attitude to spending, they were my wake up call. They are also Do-able. We all have tips that "speak " to us, these are mine ; )
I wish we had a "like" button! :D
micogo

Post by micogo »

Great tips!!! Thanks . . . :D