My tips.. What are yours?

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
tammy65

Re: My tips.. What are yours?

Post by tammy65 »

My husband eats ice cream almost every night. I buy the Kroger brand in the gallon buckets. The buckets have a handle on them and they are useful for lots of things.

My tip- I buy meat in big quantities and have it sliced by the butcher at a small grocery store that has great prices. When I get home with this huge order, I bag each slice into a sandwich bag and then layer the meat into an ice cream bucket until it is full. I then label the lid of the bucket with a post it note with what is in the bucket and the date. I have 2 freezers and I use my upright freezer to store the buckets of meat. My chest freezer stores our foods that we eat more often.

I only have to buy meat about every 10-12 months. The meat doesn't get freezer burn and always tastes like I just bought it. I can easily take out ever how many pieces of meat that I need for supper.
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I have been buying lots of chicken recently on sale with the idea of making lunch meat for sandwiches. Our store sells deli meats for $10 a pound and that is way too much to pay. I do buy it when it is on sale for half price. I will then buy four pounds and freeze three pounds for later use.
Bev
countrygal

Post by countrygal »

We have a market that has a clearance aisle as well as clearance stickers throughout the store i can do most of my shopping there as i get breads,rolls from 0.62 to 0.74 and i've gotten pasta's for about 0.72 and their meat section you can get a roaster chicken and fairly good sized for about 3.00.This market has stickers all over as i's medium size but,they overstock and alot doesn't really sell quick so it's really great.I've gotten cereal for 2.00 a box and their canned goods are 0.50 to 0.80,and their bakery is great most times you can get cakes,donuts,pastries for 1.00 to 5.00,the 5.00 are the larger cakes or birthday cakes that don't get picked up.
Home Is Where Your Heart Is!
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

All great prices!

recently I restarted a spending journal and with that added in coupons used and rebate points and credit card points. I am trying to keep January food budget to $100 for the both of us this month so it will take some creativity and use of the pantry items I already have. I just have to stay out of stores and if I must take a client to shop I leave my cc in the car! cj
Suzzycue

Post by Suzzycue »

My Tip is to use what you have and not run to the store to buy it. :D For example if you run out of butter use olive oil. I do this quite a lot even putting olive oil on my popcorn with parmesan cheese. So good.

I flavor my olive oil by putting rosemary ,garlic cloves and oregano leaves in it. That is all you have to do to add extra flavor to your food. To go and buy infused olive oil is about $16.00 a bottle and you are making it with stuff out of the garden. :)

Suzzycue
Last edited by frugalaaron on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link in post; personal blog link needs to be in signature in profile
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I try to buy the best cold pressed olive oil I can find, hopefully on sale. it is worth it as the taste is soooo much better. I am going to infuse some of the new stuff with fresh garlic cloves. for a hint of garlic!

my best tip for myself is to stay out of stores, you can not buy if you do not walk in and I also need to stay off line as well. too easy to buy buy buy on line. and in my pjs! cj