My tips.. What are yours?

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
peaches

My tips.. What are yours?

Post by peaches »

Well, since coming out of lurkdom.. I can't seem to hush up!! :lol: My MAIN tip is: (#1) Stay out of the stores. Can't spend if I don't go there. (#2) If I DO spend I try "2nd hand/used" stores first. (#3) I recycle ALOT of clothing into quilts.. then give as gifts.. No $ out. (#4) I curb-side shop....if it is something I think we can use or something one of my friends/family has mentioned they needed/wanted. (#5) I get inspired by reading about frugality... Which keeps me on track.. There is more but I'll let others... post theirs tips.
Jackielou

Re: My tips.. What are yours?

Post by Jackielou »

Great tips Peaches! Mine are a great deal like yours.

I want to add keep track of what leftovers you have in the fridge. It is amazing how those leftovers can be combined to make a new meal.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
peaches

Post by peaches »

Jackielou wrote:Great tips Peaches! Mine are a great deal like yours.

I want to add keep track of what leftovers you have in the fridge. It is amazing how those leftovers can be combined to make a new meal.
Yep, I do try to use up my leftovers in a new meal because DH isn't 'into' leftovers.... but after the 2nd meal.. he just won't eat any.. very picky. So I usually ended up eating any leftovers of 1st or 2nd meal myself.. I've gained quite a bit of weight with this strategy. Which AINT GOOD! :shock: Now I'm trying cutting down on the amount of food I make the first time.. that has kind of worked.. I've lost 5lbs in 5 months. We are finally empty nesters and it took me quite a while to NOT cook SO much.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

It has taken me many years not too cook as if I am feeding an army of male teenagers so I understand completely where you are coming from.

Another tip I have is to check with neighbours to see if you can borrow a tool or such before running out to buy said item.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ErinHuffstetler
Site Admin

Post by ErinHuffstetler »

Another tip I have is to check with neighbours to see if you can borrow a tool or such before running out to buy said item.
Yep, I really wish more people did that. I'm working on training my neighbors :) We have a neighborhood listserv, and if I need something, I'll send out a message there. When I do, I'm definitely hoping someone will have what I need, but I'm also hoping to plant the seed, so that the next time they need something, they'll ask.

On a similar note, I also say yes when someone offers us something. It encourages them to offer again in the future. Example: one of my farmer friends offered me a bunch of jalapeno peppers -- not a favorite of mine, but I said yes, and the next week he offered me a big bag of bell peppers (much more exciting in my world. It's interesting, but I think people often find it as awkward to offer something as they do to ask for something. You just have to open up those channels.

I was so amused last week because one of my friends brought by a gallon of apple cider vinegar with a little card attached to it. She had cleaned someone's house, and accepted the vinegar as part of her payment. Since she already had plenty, she thought of us. Lots of people would find it weird to bring someone a jug of vinegar out of the blue, but because we've opened those channels, she knew we wouldn't think it the least bit weird. It went right into my stockpile :)
Erin Huffstetler
Editor, MyFrugalHome.com
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I do that too - almost always say yes if it's food. I can figure something out to cook with it. Other gardeners have also given me divides off their plants - herbs and "extra" plants when they bought too much. I have also gotten free fabric and yarn because I make it known that I sew and knit.