The great ketchup caper

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
MackerelCat

The great ketchup caper

Post by MackerelCat »

My family is trying hard to cut down on buying stuff in plastic AND I dislike all the sugar in ketchup these days. The only no sugar added ketchup in a glass bottle I could find was $7 for a relatively small bottle of obscure organic stuff.

So I bought a #10 can of Furmano's fancy grade ketchup, made without sugar since the 1920s, from a restaurant supply store for $4.19. I filled up two glass bottles that once held barbecue sauce with ketchup and put them in the fridge. Then filled four saved applesauce jars 2/3 of the way full with the rest of the ketchup and froze them, having checked first to make sure it would freeze okay.

It's very tasty ketchup. It costs one-tenth of the price of buying it one bottle at a time (not that I would ever pay $7 for a bottle of ketchup), and DH got another #10 can to store screws in out in the garage. No waste. It's all good.
Mackie
LWolfT

Re: The great ketchup caper

Post by LWolfT »

You know, I never thought about freezing ketchup. On the other hand, tomato sauce freezes well ... Great idea!
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Thank you. I also won't have to think about buying ketchup again for a year. Lately I have become a fan of judiciously purchasing bulk refills, even though our family is small. For things we use a lot of, like window cleaner, dishwashing liquid, and now ketchup, it's great to not have that showing up on the shopping list all the time.
Mackie
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Oh, I hear you. We do Costco, so I get the big jugs of laundry and dishwashing soap, and the big box of dishwasher pacs. Besides the convenience, it's a good way to hold off the price hikes for a while :D
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:29 am Thank you. I also won't have to think about buying ketchup again for a year. Lately I have become a fan of judiciously purchasing bulk refills, even though our family is small. For things we use a lot of, like window cleaner, dishwashing liquid, and now ketchup, it's great to not have that showing up on the shopping list all the time.
I get the biggest containers possible of what I want to purchase. Costco is great for that.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I love this tip, Mackie. Especially since I just put my recycling out for morning pick up - and the amount of plastic is - well, it's shameful.

Our Save a Lot has huge "restaurant" size of some kinds of vegetables, tomato sauce, etc. - you're inspired me to do some price comparisons and maybe freeze some things.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz