Make things go further, last longer tip

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
ohjodi

Re: Make things go further, last longer tip

Post by ohjodi »

Here's a crazy toilet paper tip:

Tinkle right before you get in the shower! Then you don't need to use a wad of toilet paper, lol. I will actually wait to take a shower until I have to pee! LOL I figure a wad every day adds up to A LOT of toilet paper every month! Or, some people pee in the shower.

When I was working I'd be sure to use the restroom before I left, so I wouldn't need to when I got home. During work, I'd use the restroom when I was on the clock, not on my breaks. Had nothing to do with toilet paper.......I just liked getting paid while I was using the toilet :lol:
ohjodi
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I do the "tinkle before you shower" thing too! And I do use the rest room before leaving work, but mainly because I'd hate to get stuck in a traffic jam with an urgent need to pee. This has happened before, and it was unpleasant to suffer until I could get home.
Mackie
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

I try to use just HALF of things, usually foods. Like a half slice of cheese on a sandwich if I already have other things in the sandwich. Take a half slice, break it in four and space it out on the sandwich. you won't miss the other half.

Use less salad dressing by having it on the side in a small dish....dip your fork in before you spear your lettuce. Also you don't end up with wasted dressing clinging to the inside of your salad bowl.

If I butter vegetables, I do it on the plate, not in the pot or serving bowl.

Instead of frying in just butter, i use a little oil and a touch of butter. Still tastes good, and the oil helps keep the butter from browning too much.

Adjust recipes by using less meat and more veggies or beans. Not pasta, potatoes, or rice, though, because although they're cheap, we eat too many simple carbs. I usually eliminate them and add vegs, especially cauliflower because it tastes like potatoes and rice.

Frozen vegs on sale are usually cheaper and "fresher" than from the produce dept or cans, especially. Also you can get a greater variety of vegs that way, which is healthier than eating just canned peas and corn.
ohjodi
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

All great ideas! I love cheese, so now when I make an omelet I also use half the cheese and it is just as good and satisfying. And I also use evoo and some butter when making eggs or whatever. better still will use the bacon grease I save. adds a lot of flavor! cj
sds31

Post by sds31 »

Yep; those juices often seem pretty sweet anyway. I wonder if that'll change though now that I mention it.
I drink fairly weak coffee so it stretches it longer plus I drink it all day so I'm not too wired from it. If I clean coffeemaker with vinegar, I use the vinegar in dishwasher or toilets to clear up some of the minerals; got some hard water here.
Jens_Cats

Post by Jens_Cats »

Yes. I do this--go before a shower/bath. I also don't flush until AFTER my shower, because sometimes I need to go again.

Jen M.
ohjodi wrote:Here's a crazy toilet paper tip:

Tinkle right before you get in the shower! Then you don't need to use a wad of toilet paper, lol. I will actually wait to take a shower until I have to pee! LOL I figure a wad every day adds up to A LOT of toilet paper every month! Or, some people pee in the shower.

When I was working I'd be sure to use the restroom before I left, so I wouldn't need to when I got home. During work, I'd use the restroom when I was on the clock, not on my breaks. Had nothing to do with toilet paper.......I just liked getting paid while I was using the toilet :lol:
Sage Alley: My green/simple living blog:
http://sagealley.blogspot.com