Make things go further, last longer tip

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
alliesmama4

Re: Make things go further, last longer tip

Post by alliesmama4 »

I bought a 24 oz ham steak for 3.23. I am making ham and beans with some of the ham. Just cooking 1/2 bag of the beans so that is .50 cent. I used 1/4 of the ham in the current beans so that is .80 cents. I chopped the other 1/4 up in small cubes to use for ham and beans at a later date. Then I thinly sliced some of the ham and cubed it to freeze to make ham, cheese and onion quiche. I have two portions of that. Then the rest of the scrapes I froze for making broth when new potatoes come on the market in the spring. Will add green beans and onions and the little scraps of ham to that as well. I feel I got a lot of bang for my buck..Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
rinty

Post by rinty »

You certainly did, Janet, I love a nice ham broth with split peas and new pots......YUM
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

what are new pots? cj
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

new potatoes (i.e. baby ones?)
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

thanks! I love those too!

bought a roisiterre chicken yesterday, will make that stretch for 4 meals. will turn that into a chicken stir fry, chicken soup with a ramen base, and chicken salad too. cj
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Ok guys- stop peeing in the shower. It is going to cause smell. My hubs was doing this unbeknownst to me and we started having terrible smells coming out of the shower drain. I finally called a plumber and he said the bacteria does not all wash out and was growing in the pipes and causing a smell. After hubs stopped and I used an alternating cleaning regime of pouring bleach and antibacterial cleaners down the drain, it went away after 3 months. The plumber said the reason a toilet is designed to hold water is to create a vacuum over the drain so the odor from waste pipes does not waft up into the room.

I did always use the bathroom before I left work though!