Make things go further, last longer tip

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
MackerelCat

Re: Make things go further, last longer tip

Post by MackerelCat »

Lately I've been making a pot of boiled eggs on Sunday so that I can take one to work each day as a mid-morning snack. Once the eggs are cooked, I pour the very hot water down the drain in our bathroom sink, which is prone to draining slow. It's been working great ever since we started the egg water treatment.
Mackie
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Replacing elastic in clothing is relatively easy. I fixed a baseball cap last week by taking out the old cloth-covered thin elastic at the back and using a 1" wide piece without the fabric covering. Used a heavy needle in the sewing machine to go through the canvas. I also save the elastic from DH's discarded briefs, it lasts really well.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

After the water from boiling eggs today cooled, I took the excellent advice from here and watered our big container of tomato plants with it.
Mackie
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

That is a great tip mackie, one thing I do is whenever I remember to clean the office makers I use the hot water and vinegar as a weed killer. works great and is natural. no horrible chemicals. this reminds me to clean my two coffee makers! cj
11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

Shelsmiles wrote:I add extra water as well. I also pour any syrup or juice from canned or thawed frozen fruit in the jug and add water to taste. Waste not want not. Mil kids call it kamikazi juice. Lol
Shels, I thought i was the only one who did that! I learned it from my mother. We call it "whatever juice". I have also mixed in applesauce and turned the whole concoction into ice pops for the kiddos.
11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

chella52 wrote:Hi All,
Im a senior lady, live alone and on fixed income. Have a home and 3 dogs to take care of and it is a challenge.
Its hard to try to eat healthy on a budget and just one person so avoiding ready made cheap tv dinners is a big hurdle.
I actually have a canner and a seal a mealer machine. So when I can I can buy n bulk and store it in reasonable portions.
One thing I love is Juice! and I usually buy lite juice but I noticed the made from concentrate ones and the main differences was the water added.

So I tried buying full Juice and diluting it half with water, makes 2 out of 1...I keep it refrigerated and I have a large glass every evening before bed when I take my medications. It keeps fine, taste like the light versions and I save.
Just to add, I have double filtered water ...water filter on my home and then one on the faucet too so the water I use is very filtered. I have been doing this for 3 years now and it works out very well for me.
Chela, welcome to the forum and thank you for the tip! Our kiddos love juice in the summer and I always add a lot of ice and a splash of water. What kind of dogs do you have?