Fabric Softener $olution!!

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
ohjodi

Fabric Softener $olution!!

Post by ohjodi »

WOW! Are you sitting down? I've figured out a way to save a small fortune on fabric softener......I've never come across this idea before.

Get a clean spray bottle and add a cap of liquid fabric softener, fill the rest with water. When you put your clothes in the dryer, give the whole load several sprays. I put half the load in, spray about 5 or 6 times, add the other half, spray again. And that's it! The clothes smell good, no static, and that quart of diluted softener will last me a LONG time....and it's just one cap of softener! Adjust the dilution or number of sprays to whatever makes you happy :D

I thought this up a few weeks ago, when I discovered that they no longer make the Bounce Dryer Bar. So while shopping around for fabric softener, I noticed that Method brand has a "spray in the dryer" fabric softener. A light bulb went off in my head (CFL, of course!) I figured this softener had to be a sham like "leave-in conditioner". We all know it's a tiny squirt of conditioner in a big bottle of water, and they charge you a fortune for it. Same thing with "foaming hand soap".

I figured it wouldn't hurt a bit to make my own. And if I didn't like it, I could just dump the whole spray bottle into my next rinse cycle, so I had nothing to lose by trying. :geek: Most of your fabric softener is going down the drain with every wash, so the reality is only a tiny bit of it is actually on your clothes.

I do not have a dispenser in my washer, and I can never figure out when my rinse cycle is happening. I admit I don't try too hard, but life is short. I don't like sheets because they get all over the place and I use a cane and have slipped several times on stray sheets. Remember the Downy Ball? You can't buy them anymore, either, and i found out why the hard way. Last year I found a new one at a garage sale and was so excited. So I put it in the wash of my new, cheap, top loader HE washer (ALL washers are HE, anymore, even if they don't say so.) As soon as the wash started to agitate....ka BLAM! ka BLAM! ka BLAM! That ball was getting slammed into the wall of my washer so hard that I thought either the ball was going to bust or my washer basket was getting dented to death. I had to stop the washer and get it out.

Anyway, TRY THIS!
ohjodi
Jackielou

Re: Fabric Softener $olution!!

Post by Jackielou »

Great idea Jody. Thanks for sharing.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

That is awesome, Jodi! Our bigger dachshund chews everything she finds on the floor, and we have to vigilant about making sure we do not drop a dryer sheet when pulling the clothes out of the dryer -- she has chewed them up before and that can't be good for her. This is a major win-win solution! You are SO SMART! :)
Mackie
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

This approach works on a lot of things.
My dog "grooming spray" is a small amount of cheap nice-smelling conditioner in a spray bottle diluted down with water. Spray and brush.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

MackerelCat wrote:That is awesome, Jodi! Our bigger dachshund chews everything she finds on the floor, and we have to vigilant about making sure we do not drop a dryer sheet when pulling the clothes out of the dryer -- she has chewed them up before and that can't be good for her. This is a major win-win solution! You are SO SMART! :)
I swear dryer sheets multiply once you take the out of the box. Or maybe lost socks are reincarnated as dryer sheets?? LOL
ohjodi
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

dlrcpa wrote:This approach works on a lot of things.
My dog "grooming spray" is a small amount of cheap nice-smelling conditioner in a spray bottle diluted down with water. Spray and brush.
That's a good idea! My sisters have dogs, I'll give them the tip. Does it also help with gathering shed hair. I know one sister would probably love her dogs to smell like green apple, LOL She scents everything in the house, cough cough :oops:

I've been using a tiny dot of conditioner as "leave-in" for years (after several young years of paying for it!) I just wish I'd thought of fabric softener!
ohjodi