beef fat

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
Dgflorida

beef fat

Post by Dgflorida »

I use beef fat to season vegetables and greens. I get it from the grocery store for free. This last time, the grocer was more than generous and gave me twice as much as I can use as seasoning. I was wondering if you have any suggestions for using beef fat beyond seasoning greens.
MackerelCat

Re: beef fat

Post by MackerelCat »

A quick Google search notes that if the fat has been melted down and strained, it becomes tallow and can be used like lard for frying foods.
Mackie
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I am thinking of using it more for a coconut oil substitute and supplement.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Has anyone made tallow candles?
ChopinLover

Post by ChopinLover »

I know you think this is a great thing, but nutritionally it's a recipe for high cholesterol, heart disease, and all the fun stuff that follows. I wouldn't eat it if you paid me. Candles? sure, why not.
BTW the whole coconut oil scam was a cholesterol FAIL for me. It's false advertising to claim that it's good for u. IT IS NOT. Great for my skin, which is where the remainder is going. No more in my food.
whatadeal

Post by whatadeal »

I agree the idea of eating beef fat laden anything is making arteries scream. The idea of beef tallow is even more distressing. The odd bit of charred fat from a tasty ribeye that's been grilled versus the fat from big ole blocks of yellow beef fat is a whole different matter.