Roaster oven tips and tricks?

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
dlrcpa

Roaster oven tips and tricks?

Post by dlrcpa »

I think JCKitty has mentioned baking bread in her roaster. (This is a separate appliance that functions like an oven for those who have not seen one before.) We have a roaster (DH is from Pittsburgh and everybody up there swears by them.) I do not use ours much but should give it a try. The advantage is it can be placed outside, keeping the heat out of the kitchen.

If you have and use one, what are your favorite foods to cook in it? Any tips or tricks? I would like to try a couple things this weekend.
Jackielou

Re: Roaster oven tips and tricks?

Post by Jackielou »

I will be watching this thread with great interest. I have one but like you dlrcpa I really don't use it as much as I should.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

I just ran across this thread!!! Duh....sorry :?

I use my roaster for everything, just today I used it for baking my corn bread. I use it as you would an electric oven.
In my area, propane gas is pricy so electric appliances can be cheaper for me to use. My range is propane and the oven is large so no sense to me to use it for smaller items.
When I make bread I bake 2 loaves sometimes 3 at a time, always check your pan size and placement before trying to use it as some loaf pans with handles won't fit except catty cornered and then you can only use 2 at a time.
I can bake 12 large muffins at a time, 2 pans. I also make entire meals in it, a dish of mac & cheese and a meatloaf. Just always check sizes before trying any combo. Start the meatloaf cooking first, timing.... then add pan of mac cheese .
I have done this so long it just comes naturally to me. If you have any questions let me know, the best advice I can give is just think of it as a smaller electric oven.
JCKitty
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Thanks for any/all help. Do you put a rack in the bottom of the roaster? I can't remember if ours even has one (it's in a box in the basement.) Our electric oven is small, so I see your point about not heating up a large oven for a small job. But that's not so much the case for me. It was more about putting the roaster OUTSIDE in the summer to avoid heating up the house.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Most of the time I do not use the rack, only when baking cookies. I take my roaster onto the patio in warm weather... no extra heat in the house.
JCKitty
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

I've put mine outside in the summer to bake things like chicken or meatloaf. Works out pretty well ... the biggest issue is how you get the cooked food into the house (unless you're eating outside). I'm not thrilled about picking up the entire hot roaster, so I either try to lift out the meat, or grab the liner and take that inside.

My roaster is on the small side and is oval, so I really don't have any pans that would fit inside to do muffins or bread.