Frugal Air Freshener

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
Sandy

Frugal Air Freshener

Post by Sandy »

Many people who come to my home want to know how I keep my house smelling so good. Here's the "secret". I use a medium size spray bottle ($1 at Dollar General), Downy Scent Booster Beads (between $6-$7 at Walmart) and plain rubbing alcohol (again, $1 or less at Dollar General).

I put the desired amount of scented beads into the spray bottle (you will have to play around to find the right amount for you - I use 1/4 cup). I then fill the spray bottle 3/4 full with hot tap water and add two caps of alcohol (using the cap of the alcohol bottle to measure). Put the lid tightly on the spray bottle and shake vigorously for a couple of minutes and then let sit overnight for the beads to completely dissolve.

Use as you would Febreeze.
Jackielou

Re: Frugal Air Freshener

Post by Jackielou »

Interesting.... I may have to give this a try this winter when our home starts to smell a bit stale.

Jackie
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I make my own frebeze with a good smelling fabric softener, water, baking soda and water. just shake before each use. much cheaper and it does freshen things up. important to buy a scent you like! cj
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

blondeinbuffalo wrote:I make my own frebeze with a good smelling fabric softener, water, baking soda and water. just shake before each use. much cheaper and it does freshen things up. important to buy a scent you like! cj
I like your ideas, I have never used fabric softener, is it possible to get one with out a scent???
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

I read somewhere that it is not a good idea to use it as a air freshener as you would be breathing the particles in. I don't use fabric softener so I wouldn't know.
ChopinLover

Post by ChopinLover »

Sandy wrote:Many people who come to my home want to know how I keep my house smelling so good. Here's the "secret". I use a medium size spray bottle ($1 at Dollar General), Downy Scent Booster Beads (between $6-$7 at Walmart) and plain rubbing alcohol (again, $1 or less at Dollar General).

I put the desired amount of scented beads into the spray bottle (you will have to play around to find the right amount for you - I use 1/4 cup). I then fill the spray bottle 3/4 full with hot tap water and add two caps of alcohol (using the cap of the alcohol bottle to measure). Put the lid tightly on the spray bottle and shake vigorously for a couple of minutes and then let sit overnight for the beads to completely dissolve.

Use as you would Febreeze.
This is a GREAT idea. I will have to try it. My kids stink up their chairs, etc. and I use too much febreeze.