Savings by Making Own Bread?

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
Happychoice

Savings by Making Own Bread?

Post by Happychoice »

For those of you who prepare your own bread, how much of saving does it make for you?
Happiness is a choice!
MackerelCat

Re: Savings by Making Own Bread?

Post by MackerelCat »

I actually figured this one time for three loaves of homemade oatmeal bread.

Cost breakdown:
Bread flour -- 59 cents
Whole wheat flour -- 32 cents
Oatmeal -- 15 cents
Egg -- 17 cents
Yeast -- 66 cents
Oil -- 9 cents
Milk -- 11 cents
Sugar -- 21 cents
Salt, water, plastic wrap -- let's say 5 cents
(All ingredients, except for the whole wheat flour, were bought at discount grocers such as Aldi, Save-a-lot and Big Lots. Your prices may be higher.)

Cost per loaf, if making three loaves: 76.6 cents per loaf. Hands-on time to make it: about 30 minutes.
Mackie
Happychoice

Post by Happychoice »

MackeralCat, do you prepare and bake bread on a consistent basis? Enough to see a savings in your food budget?

Jackie, I see that you bake bread. Do you prefer the flavour of home baked vs store bought as well as seeing a cost saving?

Just wondering, 'cause I see a lot of bread machines for sale in the thrift store (Value Village here, I think Savers in the USA).
Happiness is a choice!
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

It was saving about $16 a month when I did it regularly. DH was the only person in the family who eats a lot of bread and he had to stop eating so much.

If you have a bigger family of bread consumers, it would add up a bit more.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I do save by baking my own bread. I only do so twice a week unless we go hog crazy. Our coop store and one other does their own baking. But at a ridiculous cost. I make my bread for about half the cost of a loaf in the store.

We find the bread to be more filling, and taste better when I use the bread machine. The slices are larger as well so instead of two slices of toast we enjoy one slice of toast.

If you do decided to buy a bread machine test it out before purchase to make sure it works. Once purchased don't give up if your first few loafs are a flop. Sometimes it just takes time, patience and the right recipe.

I use a recipe that one of our forum members gave a link to it is on the All Recipes site.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

I bake bread for only 2 people (most of the time)
I don't do it only for the savings but mainly for the taste, and lack of additives and preservatives.

I have the best luck with using the bread machine to mix and knead but bake the loaves in my roaster/cooker. I can get 3 loaves in there at once if I use regular loaf pans but usually use a section of 2 pans that I bought out" junking"... they are military surplus. longer, more narrow loaves .They are like the long narrow sandwich loaves in the store.

My family loves my bread, If I need to "score points" with my son in laws...I.E. need something done. moved or heavy work...I just bake bread. LOL
JCKitty