Grocery Items at Dollar Tree - ??

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
2dogs+someCats

Grocery Items at Dollar Tree - ??

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Lately I have been doing some research and watching some youtube videos of what people get at Dollar Tree in terms of groceries.

Now I know some DT groceries are imported and I have heard the horror stories and I am picky - I don't have anything against China but I don't need my frozen broccoli to come from so far away.

Also many of the items are NOT a good deal given smaller sizes of packaging in some cases and the fact that I can get some things cheaper at a regular store by combining a sale and a coupon.

However, there are some things - made in USA - and they are a good deal. 4 lb. bags of flour, big bags of corn chips and frosted animal crackers and pretzels (for my snacks at work - one bag of each and I'm good for about 3 weeks), 6 oz. blocks of cheese (they seem to have a different flavor each week), 2 quart containers of almond and soy milk, big jars of spices and seasonings, loaves of bread (for those who purchase bread - I make mine), etc.

I get coffee there too now - huge savings. You really have to take time to look around and be careful both in terms of where things come from and making sure it is "really" a bargain but I am seeing considerable savings just on spices, coffee, almond/soy milk, work snack items alone.

Also you can't count on a good buy that you found and liked to be there next time you go back - or for items to be consistent at every Dollar Tree.
MackerelCat

Re: Grocery Items at Dollar Tree - ??

Post by MackerelCat »

Our local DT stores never keep the soy milk in stock, but I had no trouble buying it online. Same with peanut butter and yogurt doggie dental chews made in Ireland.

The Rinaldi pizza sauce at DT is excellent. I add dollops of it to rice and beans to jazz it up and thicken spaghetti sauce with it.

And corn nuts! I buy a bag to take to the movies. Makes a tasty substitute for movie popcorn, which is way too salty for me.
Mackie
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

I like to get the 10 oz jars of mushrooms ... from Holland. Overall, it's much less expensive than buying the individual cans and I've found them to be good quality.
I also like the jellies ... many are from Europe and they don't have corn syrup. Just fruit, sugar and pectin.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

While not a food item, I did see bleach there tonight in the BIG bottles - not the smaller "dollar store size" - so I picked up one of those. While not a big fan of bleach, I do like to use it in my laundry every now and then and I mop floors with it sometimes.

Decided to try the DT brand of pasta tonight - got two 24 oz. packages - one elbows, one penne.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I never knew that DT carried cheese. I’m going to be on the lookout for it.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 pm I never knew that DT carried cheese. I’m going to be on the lookout for it.
Don't waste your money on the Cheddar Shreds. I bought a package thinking I would make pimento cheese out of it since it was already shredded up. Had to throw it out, I couldn't eat it. It just may be my taste, but I wasn't happy with it. Now I bought their saltine crackers and peanut butter and it wasn't bad at all.