FORAGING FINDS

Free food rocks! Come share your latest foraging find, or come to learn. Both newbies and seasoned vets are welcome.
sds31

FORAGING FINDS

Post by sds31 »

I liked the videos from Green Deane of eattheweeds.com, and I have found some items are edible or medicinal. I have some at home here; my favorite is purslane; looks almost like a jade plant.... wish it were more invasive like the inedible weeds! It's good in stir fry or salads; a slightly sour taste that makes me think I'm tasting the Vitamin C in it.

There's also amaranth but the one at home here is spiny and seems annoying to have to get rid of the spines. I haven't tried the bidens and am not totally sure how to identify some of the other potential ones. There's a type of bitter melon but they ripen too fast and they're only edible when green, and are small. Also have found pellitory; tastes like crunchy cucumber. Not really worth it to pull up a whole sword fern hoping to find the water chestnut type growths amongst the roots, but maybe will all the rain we're having, they might have a few on them.
Jackielou

Re: FORAGING FINDS

Post by Jackielou »

Looks like you are finding lots of interesting edibles.

Jackie
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

That's awesome. :)

I have foraged some crab apples.
I found some plantain that I used to relieve my husband''s rash from oak mites.
11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

Not exactly foraging but we have enjoyed some of the bounty from our neighbor's garden. He grows extra for giving away and we have been invited to help ourselves and he has also brought us catnip, chives, hot peppers, tomatoes, string beans.

We gave him a jar of home canned grape juice that we made and a container of homemade pasta sauce that S.O. made -- try to "pay it back" a bit. :) Plus, our neighbor is very busy with working part time and taking care of his elderly mother so S.O. has mowed his lawn a couple of times.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Quite a while back I taped a series for foraging wild foods. I sort of glanced at them at the time. More recently, with spring on the horizon, I went back and reviewed them. I have so much good food growing around me that I just did not pay attention to. I thought of them as weeds. I live in the country on two acres and my DB has 120+ acres that adjoins my property.. I am hoping to do a lot of foraging this spring. Will keep everyone updated. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Janet, I read recently that the tiny pink spring flowers called Spring Beauty have an edible tuber and supposedly taste like chestnuts with the consistency of a baked potato when cooked.

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/re ... flower.xml
Mackie