SO to 11catgs2beagles

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Chickypoo

SO to 11catgs2beagles

Post by Chickypoo »

I need your expert vegan help. I found a couple hints for using ground flax seed or a baking soda/vinegar (I think) mixture for egg replacement in baking. Have you ever tried anything like this?

I want to bake some apple strudel bread but don't have eggs but do have the ground flax seed (one of my Amish store purchases).
Trisa
Chickypoo

Re: SO to 11catgs2beagles

Post by Chickypoo »

Hey Sheila, just wanted to let you know I tried the ground flax seed/water substitute for eggs. Believe it or not, the ground flaxseed is one of the more obscure purchases I made at the Amish store, thinking surely I could do something with it. I think I paid less than $1.

Anyway, it turned out really good. I made my WW Good Morning Muffin recipe (made with zucchini, apple, shredded carrot and raisins). The substitution is 1 tbs ground flaxseed to 3 tbs water. It did give it a nuttier flavor, but it was definitely a good thing rather than something negative.
Trisa
AuntBridget

Post by AuntBridget »

So is the flax seed/ water mixture that you stated 1tsp to 3 tsp, in place of ONE egg ?
With the price of eggs, any kind of substitute would be wonderful.

You also mentioned the vinegar one......It made me think of my mom's Wacky cake recipe....and probably why it didn't call for eggs.

Thanks for posting !!
Aunt Bridget
11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

AuntBridget, I can't answer your question - I use a commercial vegan egg replacer:

http://www.ener-g.com/egg-replacer.html
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

16 oz. of the vegan egg replacer is equal to 100 eggs, which makes it an amazingly good deal right now. DH bought a dozen large eggs -- just plain old commercially farmed ones -- at Food Lion yesterday for $3.79. He said the cashier actually apologized for how expensive they were.
Mackie
11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

While the egg replacer won't make scrambled eggs, etc. it is a good substitute to use in baking. Sometimes I can't tell the difference in the finished product, sometimes I can...but it's still good.