E-Mail Scam

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
BevMoore

E-Mail Scam

Post by BevMoore »

I'm not sure which category to put this in; just want to be sure it gets seen. This morning I pulled up me IEP e-mail site to find a "company" called Real Property Advisors or something to that effect sent me an "invoice". It was an attachment so I did not open it. I deleted it before writing down the name so I don't have the exact name. However the e-mail was addressed to my username and stated that attached was an invoice stating I owed $2768.00.

I know this was bogus because I am not involved in investments and the only recent transaction I have done was to have the tires replaced on my van yesterday. There were no misspellings or grammatical errors but the red flag was my user name.

I have opted in the past to have receipts e-mailed to me to cut down on paper junk but I think from now on I am going to insist on a paper receipt in person at the time of the transaction. And if I do any on line purchases I will be sure to save the receipts.

I do stay on top of my finances and keep everything simple but I want to throw this out for those who may have lots of financial activity, especially if things are done on line. It's insidious things like this that can scam a person who may be frazzled and busy and lose track of things.

As always, never ever open an attachment unless you know the source.

Bev
icfrugal1

Re: E-Mail Scam

Post by icfrugal1 »

Good reminder, thank you!!!!

IC
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I got two today saying the exact same thing. There was no amount stated each one said I had to pay in 48 hours to avoid a fine. Each came with an attachment. I am reporting these to my ISP; hopefully that will put a stop to this.

Bev
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

This is another scam, issue. if you get unsolicited request for a resume, job application do not open the attachment. it will give your computer a virus. we were warned at work about this. it is a big deal. cj