Garden update 2016

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
rinty

Re: Garden update 2016

Post by rinty »

Hi, what are the temps where you are ? Here, we have great growth on all our seeds but they are all grown in a greenhouse and we have been using a heater in there as well. DH planted out onion sets yesterday and we have potatos planted and |I have a planter with lambs lettuce, radish and spring onion which is showing but we won't be planting out any of our beans etc. til May. We're very happy with the greenhouse, very cost effective.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Overnights early in the week were below 50F so quite chilly. Daytime highs in the 70F vicinity. The weeds are finding the weather very agreeable.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I planted 3 cherry and 2 beefsteak tomatoes in the garden. Weather is quite cool but the plants have all been staying outside for at least a week. I have more tomatoes still in pots that I can plant if the first ones fail. I will try to put the broccoli in the ground but it is very small and did not start too well in the pots. Still, nothing to lose.

The greens are big enough that I got enough for a salad. Also 5 radishes a green onion. I see 1 string bean and 1 cucumber seed sprouting even though the weather is so cool lately. Another plot has bean plants several inches tall, they must have planted very early and it is some sort of shelling bean I think.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Hubby planted two rows of potatoes in the garden today.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I see 2 rows of string beans have popped up. The greens are big enough to have salads frequently now. Tomorrow I will set out eggplants I started. I finally have 1 green pepper sprouted and 2 jalapeno sprouted in pots. I will probably have to buy another green pepper or two.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

The eggplants I set out Thursday appear to have sunburn damage. It has only been sunny a few hours at a time over the weekend. No sun for almost 2 weeks before that. So hard to get them acclimated, maybe I should have erected a screen but I did not. The tomatoes may have a fungus/"wilt". Again due to all the rainy weather. Not much to be done about that either. We are predicted to get rain for several more days this week.I do have a couple of replacement plants still in pots on the porch.