Daily Check in Sept 18 2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Re: Daily Check in Sept 18 2015

Post by rinty »

Hey Frugals,

I know we don't do political posts but after Beckys headsup I had a good look at your presidential hopefuls............ :shock:

Wow, sucks to be you, America.

Horrible day at work AGAIN so I have decided that I REALLY need to get my job search in gear and not get stuck in a rut of " oh, its fairly local and it pays "

There is one Truly Obnoxious staff member barely out of her teens and one of these days I am going to Forget to be The Bigger Person.

We food shopped for the first time in ages and it was a really random shop. Watched Eat Well for Less , a TV show encouraging people to spend grocery shopping more wisely. Last nights couple were spending £339 A WEEK on groceries........the family was mum, dad, grown up daughter and 5 year old grand-daughter. We spend less than £39 a week BTW so these people were NUTTERS, they halved their bill thanks to the programme but still..............so its only £170 a week ???? And that's okay ????? They were on one income ( say around £30K ish )and looked very ordinary............

DH feels better so we are off to use our cinema vouchers to see Walk in the Woods and sneak in our own treats :D
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Shopper, I am glad to hear that your chemo went well and is over. {{{hugs}}}

Rinty, I am glad to hear that your DH is feeling better and you have a fun outing planned. And yes, our political candidates are basically like watching the occupants of a clown car at the circus pile out on stage. :roll:

We seem to be having a health care spend-a-rama this week. My annual physical yesterday, since we don't yet have insurance, was $183. And last night DH and I began suspecting something was wrong with our bigger dachshund, since she had a cough lozenge-size lump under her ear and was acting extra-grumpy. (She is a moody, opinionated dog under the best of circumstances.) Off to the vet we went this morning, and it turned out she had an ear infection and a swollen lymph gland from it. That was $96, but at least it's a fairly minor infection and all she needs is topical treatment.

Today I need to make some phone calls and do some housecleaning. And not spend any more money. :-D
Mackie
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Afternoon Everyone.

It's a magnificent day in Tennessee and my DSIL came this morning to help me haul off a load of tree trimmings from one of the rentals. I placed an ad in the paper this morning for the week-end to get it rented before I leave on my next trip. They would handle it for me, but I'd rather do it myself if I can.

Shopper, so glad that you are doing well after your cancer diagnosis. I had been thinking about you and was hoping that you'd find us with the change over.

I have one more load of dark clothes and I will have my laundry caught up again. I haven't made my bed yet this morning, and will change my sheets. I'm not going to wash them this week, will wait until I have some other things next week.

Picked up Michelina's Frozen individual servings yesterday for lunches and I just had Orange Chicken. It was very good and only $1.00. When paired with a small salad it makes a very good lunch or dinner.

PennyC, sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I have been sleeping much better and I think that adds to my well being so much.

Everyone have a wonderful week-end.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

shopper, you have gone through so much and I admire you for your courage during such trying times. thank you for sharing your story with us.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Well I have managed to get most of the chest freezer cleaned out. Just a bit more to do, but my hands are about frozen. I will complete that job tomorrow or the next day. Amazing how much got away from me.

I have also managed to get a couple more pots emptied out of dying flowers. Hopefully I can manage another few of those tomorrow as well. Slowly but surely getting things done.

Now I plan on taking a bit of a rest and then getting some of the dried laundry folded and put away.

There are a few bags of items that need going through and some silver to add to the jars.

Off to read a bit and then do some knitting.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good afternoon!

Awakened by a thunderstorm this morning, but sunny and 80 right now.

Shopper, I'm so sorry to hear that you've been ill, but really glad to hear that you caught this early ... sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way.

Mackie ... good thoughts to your DH on his job hunt, too.

Anyway ... took younger cats to the vet for annual shots, etc. Both of them were highly PO'd about being there --- growling and hissing at the vet and the tech. The tech (and the vet) decided they wouldn't take anyone's temperature. Very odd, since at home, Big Boy is one of the most mellow cats around. But more $$$ out. And my doctor's bill came today, too, though surprise, it was under 3 figures.

Hopefully will get the documents I need to fill out for the new job ... have a couple of errands to run, too.