How many of US from About.com's original frugal living forum are still here?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: How many of US from About.com's original frugal living forum are still here?

Post by frugalmom »

BeckyO wrote:Maryellen, Thanks for the run down on your DC. You talk about them but not all in one post. That helped me to get them straight

I'm here from the original About Forum. There were two forums for awhile. One was About.. I've forgotten the other.
BeckyO
Was there two sites-I vaguely remember it-boy,my memory is soooo bad! Sooo bad that MY mom who is forgetful bought ME some "brain pills" which she said is helping her and recommended by my uncle who is a doctor! I am wondering if it is Focus Factor-she said it was expensive so it was nice of her to buy it for my brain! I could certainly use all the help I can get-lol-bc my mom's brain which is not that great lately is better than MINE-sad to say bc she is 77 yo! Boy I did not realize she was that old til I counted up her age just now! My son is living with her as well as one daughter(she lives there for going to college) and my son is living there to watch over her and takes care of everything for her-she gets along best with him (bc he does everything she says!) even better him than her own kids-lol! At least I have someone watching her since she has fallen and also left the fire on,or leaves doors wide open! So I just feel better since I am an hour and a half away!

BTW my uncle who is a doctor got a free scan bc he referred some of his patients to get scans and so they offered him a free one to detect anything before it arises. Well, I am sure God had something to do with this(he is very religious),bc they found a growing tumor and they thankfully got it in time-he did not have any symptoms or even a clue so if he did not check,he would not have known til maybe too late! I wish I could afford one of those!
frugalmom

Re: How many of US from About.com's original frugal living forum are still here?

Post by frugalmom »

colonialgirl wrote:Gosh - Ellen Marie - I cannot believe Preston is in the 6th grade. I remember when you were on the forum agonizing about whether or not to get pregnant with him. I remember your hubs said you had enough children but that you really wanted one more and what a big deal it was. Time flies.

I have been here since almost the beginning. I lurked for a long time at the about forum (right after it changed from the mining company to About). Not many of those folks left. I remember many who posted there but cannot bring their names to mind now - but I could describe them with stories. Like the lady who lived in Joplin and then they had that big tornado and we never heard from her again. I wonder if she was one of the casualties. I remember Roxie who was raising her grandchildren and Michelle the cook with her crazy stories and wild exaggerations. Orange wasabi, one of my absolute favorite posters and Cookasita, another of my favorite people whose daughter got married and who was a big gardener and always dieting and had a heart of gold.

I remember all of the brouhahas when Pat was the guide and the dressing down you would get if you disagreed with one of her favorites. I remember our good friend Sue who died of cancer and was a fount of wisdom and knowledge and crazy Rossco with the "free food" and conspiracy fantasies. I remember and value so much the efforts that Jackie and Erin made to keep us together as a band of frugal brothers and am so grateful for that.

Many years here and much good advice received. Became debt free on this forum and paid off my house on this forum and retired on this forum. It is a home to many of us - who are now internet friends. What a lovely place we have here.
Yes, and here we are in another presidential election-and we would still be better than who we have to choose from! I was asked to actually run for elections for both school board and mayor! Lol that is how bad our city has become that they ask ME to run! LOL! The only thing I got is just my integrity(and hard work) and I told them even if you are behind me or a group, I told them I will still decide what is best for the children(school district)! But my husband did not want me running-are you kidding he hardly sees me now he thinks with tournaments,games,kid's activities,PTA,etc-he says he definitely won't see me if I run! He told me that I am too sensitive and will get hurt bc I am not thick skinned enough and once I run,people will start attacking you and making up lies and do I want that headache!? Plus I may not do what is politically correct or cater to anyone, or a specific group or organization,etc-I will do what is right for the city,the kids and whoever I represent. It really got me thinking there for a bit of how much good I could do,we have too many foxes in the hen house lately-I mean you meet them and that is the first thing I think of and I end up being right and lots of these people get away with it-sad to say! And it is hushed-they just tell the person to retire or leave,but they don;t account for the missing money which hurts the kids,district,schools,etc-really makes you sick! I am always trying to make it better for the kids-started a math tutoring program for the kids and later found a better one that my son went to in order to showcase his program and bc of my son and other kids that I got in,we brought it now to our school and making a difference! I still visit that school-there for 25 years with my kids going one after another so sad to finally leave,but I still visit-lol they were still trying to get me to stay as VP of PTO even though we don't go there-lol! Because they know I will protect it and do the work.

I liked Wasabi too and enjoyed Cookasita's stories and ideas. Yes we do have a nice place here-it is home. Plus, I am sooooo glad I have my Preston-made a great decision-although he runs us ragged at times and can be intense-he is a go getter-very ambitious and does his best in everything from being President of his class and school(they won't allow 6th grader to do this year though plus a new school-it will be interesting if he does it later again though),captain of his team,he just takes charge. And I admire his tenacity when he would go to school all day,go to the math program to advance from 3-6 pm and then head over to basketball practice from 6:30-9 pm! Every day it was like that(til 6) and two to three days with practice til 9! He was a trooper and the other week he said he MISSED the math program-I said REALLY!? Lol math was never my favorite subject-and thank goodness I found someone to help him with it! He gets along with others easiy so he was worried at first going to another district not knowing anyone,etc but quickly made friends as I told him he would! Luckily,being in basketball teams,he met some of he boys on opposing teams and would ask them,etc. He is not shy-he would go up to professional basketball players (I have no clue who they were except they were so tall) and say hi and talk to them or take pictures with them like they were buddies! He is just too funny! My other kids were shy until they got older!
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Great thread! It's nice to reminisce about everyone.

I found Frugal Living at About.com in 1999 as it was changing over from the Mining Company. Wow, 17 years! I remember when Pat was the moderator......she was mostly nice but too often stuck her nose up, IMO. I remember there was a big dust up over there about Sept 11, and several people were gagged (ME!) and many left. Then later it happened again, and some members formed a new site....I went to see it a few times, then discovered a thread where they were bashing ME, so I figured I was better off at FL, LOL Glad I stayed.

Has anyone mentioned Marcia, yet?? She was a teacher in Atlanta.....she was SO organized! She color-coded her wardrobe and had all these amazing organization tricks. She had a stroke a few years back, but has anyone heard what became of her? I hope she was comfortable and well taken care of, in any case.
ohjodi
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I am still here too! same old same old. both of us are in retirement mode, just not have chosen the actual date! then travel mode!

I miss Lynn C, and have not seen shopper post in a while. cj
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

I'm still here, though I don't get back too often. Have been busy resolving family issues and looking after my mom. My sister and her husband are up from Florida and although I haven't heard from them are supposed to visit with her today. I can only hope that they do.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

I have been here since it was the mining company as well. I remember all of the people that everyone has mentioned and I believe there was one named Linda who was raising her grandson. Her husband and her were getting a divorce, but then she posted later that they were going to try and reconcile. There were a couple from Tennessee, that I can't remember their names but I enjoyed. I think one was Lynn that she and her husband built an underground house. Another one had the two daughters and worked at a hotel. Seemed her husband could never keep a job. Also, how about the gal that lived in Arizona and lived in the house behind her Mom's. Worked for Walmart.

There was the one who was impersonating someone else in Virginia somewhere. Her Mother was wealthy and she had to put her in a nursing home. They both finally passed away I think. She was the one that told us Marcia had passed away and it wasn't true.

Then there was Trish, that taught us how to make homemade Marshmallows. I loved UConn and wonder if she had more children. She had the two boys. So many interesting and nice people have come and gone.

I am just thankful that we still have a place to come and visit everyday. I've never met any of you, but feel like I know you well. So thanks Erin and Jackie.