What do you wish that you had done sooner for yourself?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: What do you wish that you had done sooner for yourself?

Post by ohjodi »

FLORIDACATLOVER:

My intention is that if my house is cleaned regularly by a cleaning person, then I would be more willing to do other cleaning and organizing things, myself. Mainly because I will feel better mentally, and I won't be tired from doing the basic work. It will be so much easier to give myself a bit of a schedule of spot cleaning, than to try to do everything. Like I can clean the toilet, sink, rinse down the tub/shower, sweep and spot mop the bathroom (not all at once, though!).....but right now it's depressing to do all that and still have the tiles and corners of the tub be gunky, and the floor behind the toilet, and the corners, etc, grubby. So when I do clean, it's not all clean! LOL

CLEMENCIA:

I don't think I'm to the point where I'd need a home health aide. I can completely care for myself (bathing, cooking, shopping, driving, laundry, some housework).....but I'd say my difficulty in doing more housework is 70% disability, and then 30% laziness, LOL I do know I will need more help in the future though (hoping it's not for at least 15 years). What I am able to do, I consider exercise! Like going grocery shopping.....I often choose which store I go to based on how well I feel. When I feel great I go to Kroger because it's big. In decreasing order it's Aldi, IGA, Dollar General, and then Walgreens/CVS when I really need something but don't feel good. I do have my two sisters in town who will do absolutely anything for me, so I'm never actually in need of anything. I'm really lucky.

LITTLEMISS:

Thanks for the offer to clean my house! If you move to Illinois, let me know! lol My sisters would clean any time I ask, but they do have so much on their plates, and I don't feel comfortable with having them do it on a regular basis.
I don't know what this will cost (especially the initial deep-clean that I know will hurt, LOL). I have a couple phone numbers from the community board at the grocery store, I'll start with that. This is a small enough town that it shouldn't be too hard to find someone (and do a grapevine background check on them, LOL) Basically, it's "will you come to my house for $30, and how much work would that include?" I would like the kitchen, bathroom, and livingroom done. It shouldn't take more than an hour in a half, I'd think. Maybe I'll have to skip the livingroom. I just hope to find someone who not only does a good job, but who can be regular about it, every two weeks or so, I'm flexible on the days. $60/mo is not much money at all, and affording it will not be a problem (thankfully!).
ohjodi
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Jodi, congratulations in a big way on giving up cigarettes. YAY!

I would think that if you could get the cleaning person to do the hardest rooms, like the kitchen and bathroom, first, then the others can get by with a light, professional cleaning and basic maintenance by you.
Mackie
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

MackerelCat wrote:Jodi, congratulations in a big way on giving up cigarettes. YAY!

I would think that if you could get the cleaning person to do the hardest rooms, like the kitchen and bathroom, first, then the others can get by with a light, professional cleaning and basic maintenance by you.
THANKS!

I'm still vaping with my e-cigarette. I could not have gotten off cigarettes without it, and I had tried many times....patches, gum, drugs, even snus. I have reduced my nicotine levels from 32mg (which isn't even legal anymore) to 9mg. I was on 6mg for the past month, but I was really struggling with cravings for real cigarettes. And I actually smoked two. ugh. So I upped my nicotine and I feel better. I'll try again next month to lower it again. I'd had a hard time lowering from 24mg, but eventually I did, so I'm confident I'll get over this hump. I also vape a lot less often than I used to.

This costs me just $12/wk. Cigarettes were $50.
ohjodi
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Quitting smoking. Aside from wishing I had never started in the first place, I wish I had quit years earlier.
BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

Ohjodi, having household help can really change your life. I can not stand up long enough to make my bed and like you said some days are better and some days bad and who wants to waste a better day cleaning? I want to do things that satisfy me and or will be remembered : )

I pay someone $90 once a month to change my bed, do all my laundry ( I do hand laundry all month long. I get it washed, dried, folded but not always put up) vacuum, mop, and wax all my floors, clean my bathroom and kitchen (I do minimal upkeep on both areas all month long. I am not messy). She puts up anything she finds out of place and straightens, reorganizes, cleans and dusts everything. If there is something else I need I tell her.

She looks for things I have lost, hangs curtains, cleans the frig etc, not all of this everytime but as needed
Last edited by BeckyO on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

Jodi and Heloise-

Congratulations! Quitting smoking is such a hard thing to do (I have watched firsthand as my husband quit and my uncle tried for years unsuccessfully), so when you are able to do it (even if it takes vaping, patches, gums, etc), it is a HUGE accomplishment.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com