Daily Check In January 14, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

Daily Check In January 14, 2018

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Good Morning Friends and Happy Sunday! I slept in until 7:30 - BLISS!!! It was NOT bliss taking the dogs out but got it done and a hot of cup of coffee - or 3 - is my reward.

I got AMAZING news when I checked email - not only had a client accepted an article I wrote yesterday, but they left me feedback that was very positive and said they will be requesting orders directly from me in the future. This made my day! Sometimes even "big girls" need some positive reinforcement.

I am going to get out and start shoveling my driveway a little bit later. While I was shoveling my front walk yesterday, my "awful" (as in rude, obnoxious, nosy, pushy) neighbor came strutting right over - going to do my driveway. I told him I already have someone to do it. He did NOT need to know that someone is ME. He looked really disappointed in his "creeper next door way" and moved on up the street with his snow blower and plow.

It will be good exercise for me and I enjoy being out in the fresh air and moving. (Side note, I got my sidewalk done faster yesterday than neighbor did his with snow blower - just sayin!). If I don't feel like completing it today I can finish it tomorrow. I wouldn't care at all but I agreed to watch the kiddo this coming Tues. Wed. Thurs. and will have to drive him to his bus stop at 7:00 a.m.

Also on the agenda for today is baking bread and cooking the pot of beans that I've had soaking overnight. Not sure what all I'll do with those but probably use some for rice & beans and some for soup.

Off to refill my coffee cup. I hope you all have a blessed Sunday. Find the Joy!!
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In January 14, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Slept in a bit this morning and so will be struggling to be a bit awake when I go to wake Hubby up. I only wake him on Sunday mornings so he can be ready for Mass ...... Silly I know, but like me he needs waking up time and so I try and give him that. One morning a week of having my quiet/alone time interrupted is quite all right.

I was hoping to have another no spend day today, but I am out of sympathy cards and will need to pick one up for the funeral tomorrow. Not sure if this will be a big funeral or not as M worked for one of the big Crown Corporations here, and most of his high school friends have moved away. Hubby's family is a big one though and who knows who will be down to attend. I do have a feeling that if anyone in the immediate family is there it will be Hubby's brother from just down the road other than us (saying us but it will more than likely just be me as Hubby does not do funerals well).

Frugal happenings here will be the usual. Meals made and prepared here at home, leftovers packaged up to be used for other meals during the month or even next month. I will also be using up my leftover yarn skeins and balls to make myself socks. Almost finished the first one (quick and easy knit) and hopefully the second will be done tonight. One pair down, more to do. This is frugal in that it uses up the remains of other projects, keeps me busy, and I don't have to buy those cheap socks from department stores any longer (they either lose elasticity, or get so darned they bother my feet).

Supper this evening will be roast chicken. Served with roasted potatoes and roasted carrots it will be a one pot meal. I have some leftover coleslaw to use up as well.

Today I am grateful that we have a warming trend happening.

Off to wake Hubby.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good chilly morning all,

We are getting the cold weather that is marching across the country. Kitty got me up at 6 am. She wanted....well everything and nothing. I offered her food, water, nope. So I offered a warm lap with strokes and that was ok for awhile. She wanted out. I said it is cold. Finally, I gave in and she went out for a brief time. She wanted me to do lap again and I did so until it was time for hubs to get up. He is giving her lap now. It is nice to pet her. Before her skin was so tender, it hurt her to be petted. :( Today, I am grateful that I can pet my kitty again.

Yesterday, a guy on FB garden group said "free pots". I immediately took them. Even though the members can live anywhere in the state, this guy only lives a few miles from me. 10 minutes after I picked them up, another FB member asked for them. She didn't live near him, but he offered her more in the summer. These are larger pots and I have a purpose for them. I pulled my tomatoes and peppers inside for the night. Frost was a possibility. We will warm until Wednesday night when it is supposed to get below freezing. Ugh.

I have been working on ideas for upcycling and recycling things. The rustic window swags are an example. In addition, I am working on a couple more ideas for an old bedframe. The cheap kind with just railing, no headboard. Not many ideas out there. I worked on my reuse of old socks, converting them to draft rolls. One will be easy. Long tube socks. I have it pretty much ready to sew. But the rest of the used socks are short and that will be a lot of work. Thinking on it.

I bought a very cheap, very thin rug months ago thinking I would need it in the office area to prevent the roller chairs from scratching my new floor. However, hubs uses his transport wheelchair in the office and I use a ball, so I didn't need the rug. I cut it up and put it in the windows on the north side of the house to reduce the cold draft. The cold winds are always from the north, always strong and just goes through those windows. I could really feel the difference. Frugal win.

Today, I plan to look in the tool room for the cheap, thin plastic sheets I bought a long time ago. I figure I may be able to use them to keep the porch a bit warmer. Plastic grows brittle quickly, so use or lose. Today, I will cut up some more chicken breasts. Tomorrow is trash day and I can dispose of the bones quickly, no kitchen stink. Also time to get the turkey breast from the freezer for cooking on our wintry Wednesday night.

Well, off to start the day. The sun is shining and that is always nice. Stay safe and warm everyone.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Oops, Did not realize I posted at the same time as DGFl and lost mine.

I was up and at 7:30 Mass. Now home with Coffee, newspaper and HGTV. Waiting to hear back form DS1 to see if they have time to meet up with me. Last week there was talk of the having dinner with Ex. I called DS early yesterday and he got back to me late. DGS9mos is going to have tube placed in his ears. He has had ear infection on top of sinus infection on top of ear infection.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I really slept last night. I have needed that sleep. I am still very sleepy this morning. But I am beginning to feel better.

I didn’t get my paper again this morning. I have called again this morning. But it did finally come.

I can read it on line. I wanted to see today’s ad’s and the save the comics for my grandson.

I am working on my daughter's Birthday present.

Not much else is new.

Penny
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Good morning!

The pack got me up as usual so out the door Buddy the dog went and Boo the cat had to be fed. The other two cats found their spots on the heater vents so they can toast themselves. I am sitting here with my first cup of coffee.

I found a book at Goodwill called "Eat To Live" and it was written by the same person who is a part of the Food Revolution (Plant based eating). I want to get back to this; problem is the gas I get from eating this way is tremendous and does not seem to go away with time. I cannot be this way while working with a first grade class. But I will keep looking for a solution. I just want to be able to lose weight and be healthy again without weighing, measuring, calorie counting and tracking. This way of eating allows people to do just that.

More housework to do I will do a little at a time. I hate it but I have decided to stop working days so that will give me more time to do just a little each day. I enjoy the day jobs as well as my after school job but a friend of mine lost her job so is back looking to pick up substitute gigs. I want her to be able to do that. She needs to work, I don't. It is becoming harder to find work in the school district here. I may end up just stopping altogether at the end of this year. We'll see.

Bev