No waste in January 2018

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
2dogs+someCats

Re: No waste in January 2018

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

I love reading about everyone's "use ups" and how we all re-use things, etc.

Yesterday was a big "use it all up" day around here. I cooked a 24 oz. bag of pinto beans that I had soaked overnight. I cut two whole onions (the last of the onions) into chunks to add to the cooking water and also added 2 cloves of garlic and 2 bay leaves. After the beans were cooked, I saved the "bean water" and froze it to use for making soups later on.

Some of the beans were made into "baked beans" and frozen. The rest were made into "rice and beans" and frozen. A can of diced tomatoes got added to the rice and beans. The juice from the tomatoes went into a loaf of homemade tomato basil bread.

I picked the onion pieces out of the cooked beans and saved them. They will be used for something else later on this week - on a pizza or something.

On Saturday I used almost all of my brown sugar to make a sugar cream pie. I used the last of the brown sugar in oatmeal yesterday and today.

I am using empty flour bags to store my two loaves of homemade bread. Just slide the cooled loaf in, fold the flap down and clip with a clothes pin.

Today I will be using up the last of the cooked rice to make a stir fry using the last of the fresh cabbage - that will be tomorrow's lunch at work.

When I made egg salad yesterday I didn't have mayo - so I made it with mustard and some onion powder and black pepper.

I am thankful for this thread. Seeing what others have done and writing what I have done encourages me to keep going and to be mindful of every single item in my home and how I can get maximum use out of it and make it go further.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Hi all -
A few use ups the past few days:
1. I finished up the very last of the soup for dinner last night.
2. Hubs finished two half sandwiches that I could not finish meals before. The two halves made a good dinner for him.
3. Finished a gallon of milk.
4. Finished up another small bottle of lotion today yea!
5. Used up the very last of my shampoo and then got into the linen closet and found out I am completely out. Yow - I am always stocked up - don't know how I let that one slip up on me. Asked hubs to get a bottle - he couldn't find it so brought home two bottles of expensive shampoo. Me I use Suave and am happy with it. Following instructions is not his strong suit. So now the hunt is on for a good sale to stock up again.
6. Used the last packet of hot cocoa mix. Folks give me these as gifts and so I use them up but they are just something that clutters up the cabinet for me. I make hot chocolate with 1 tsp cocoa, 2 tsp sugar and heated milk. This is as easy as the mix and takes up no extra room.
7. Have beans soaking now to cook tomorrow with the last of the unfrozen Christmas ham. Going to make fried potatoes and onions and small green salad to go with it tomorrow.
Hopefully more use ups this week!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

You are doing really well CG.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Thanks Jackie -
I think it has more of the cyclical nature of how you run out of things than anything I am doing. But I do like that feeling of getting my money's worth. I always admire how you and others are using things up. It is inspiring.

I used one of Sheila( I think it was Sheila) tricks to use a spatula on my containers. I finished a jar of peanut butter last night for a snack for hubs. Thought I would have to open a new one, but got enough for the whole sandwich with the spatula. Yea!

I finished a small container of strawberry cream cheese on my last toasted bagel for a snack last night.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

1.made pot roast on one day last week(can't remember when) I wizzed the veggies it was cooked with and the juice off of it into a flavorful gravy to go on the mashed potatoes that were served with the roast and carrots. Served 4 (1 teenage boy)
2. used up about 1 maybe 1 and 1/4 cup of wine ( didn't care for the wine that much) to deglaze the pan after carmelizing the veggies and searing the pot roast.
3. thawed leftover roast, sliced and chopped the meat, and leftover carrots added potatoes and more onion, added some leftover gravy and water, slow cooked and made into stew. served 4 and nephew had 4 servings (hollow legged teenager)
4, leftover stew to be made into veggie soup Saturday, will add the rest of the gravy, frozen bits of pre served and frozen veggies and water. I predict a crock pot full because it ALWAYS grows as I put it together
5. leftover mashed potatoes from 1. above going into homemade bread.
6. eggs that froze in the chicken house wizzed in the blender and made into bread pudding, not cracked, frozen till slushy

Frugal fail....wasted romaine lettuce, could not eat it because of e coli reports. I will say something at Aldis, they may or may not refund my money. I Will use things after the sell by or use by dates ...I use good judgement, smell, sniff examine but... e coli scares in fresh produce scare me. I did feed it to the chickens.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Used up a bag of leftover chicken from the freezer.

Used up the grey yarn making those lovely warm socks.

Used up another small bottle of hand/body lotion.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/