Latest school shooting in Florida

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Latest school shooting in Florida

Post by Mrscreative »

When will all this senseless shooting end? For the life of me I do not understand why the majority of Americans do not support stricter gun control. I don't often get this political but your country needs more than your president's good thoughts and prayers!
In Canada many people hunt, in fact I live in a part of Northwestern Ontario where tourism is an important industry. But we use rifles - not handguns. Strict screening, safe firearm education/licensing and proper storage of firearms is required. In my humble opinion, that is the only reason we not have the same homicide rate as in the United States. What makes it even more tragic is that it happened on Valentine's Day, a day that is supposed to be devoted to love. In case anyone wonders, we personally do not own any firearms and neither do our friends - yet I have never feared for my personal safety.

Creative
floridacatlover

Re: Latest school shooting in Florida

Post by floridacatlover »

I’m with you 100%. (My friend who has two high-school age children lives a few miles from this school.) I hate guns.

Tonight in the U.S. you’ll hear:

“It’s not a gun problem, it’s a mental health problem.”
“It’s too soon to talk about gun control.”
“We have to protect our Second Amendment rights.”
“The Libtards are trying to take away guns from We The People.”

Oh, I almost forgot the most important one.
“This wouldn’t have happened if the teachers had guns.”
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

In many ways I am not a liberal. I think Justin Trudeau has been a little reckless in his spending and I do not approve of the use of recreational marijuana. I know a lot of Canadians have concerns about the number of Syrian refugees allowed entry, but the ones that have come to our city have been nothing but a credit. After only one year most are already gainfully employed and one family here has already opened their own restaurant. Their daughter got accepted into the nursing program after less than two years of English and after a 4 year lapse of no education in Syria or Lebanon (where they took shelter). She completed her last year of high school at age 19 then had intensive English training to bring her up to standard. The younger daughter has already received an academic achievement award in high school for outstanding marks and is a value player on the junior basketball team. Granted this was a family who was privately sponsored by a church and they received untold support from church members in every aspect. I only think abortion should be allowed as a last resort, within the early months of pregnancy. I certainly do not approve of it as birth control when there are so many other means available. But if a woman gets raped or if her life is endangered while pregnant such as would be the case in an ectopic pregnancy then I feel differently.

I think in the U.S. many conservatives voted for Trump because of his positions on abortion and immigration. Granted I think immigration is a more pressing problem in the U.S. than Canada. I do think Justin was reckless when he stated that any illegal immigrants in the States would be welcome in Canada. I don't think anyone wants people with criminal backgrounds or ties to terrorist groups, no matter what their race or religion in their country But how some Americans can overlook his appalling attitude and treatment towards women, and the way he treats the FBI is mind boggling. Not to speak of his constant egotistical, self praising behaviour! I think Sarah Huckabee Sanders has the worst job in the world!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Just to be clear...most Americans are DEMANDING gun control.
Do we get it? No. Our gun lobbyists are backed by huge money.
NO ONE needs an assault weapon. NO ONE who is not in the military.
Want to hunt? Use a rifle...use a bow.

I am so sick to death of being so sick to death over this.

Forget a freaking wall......PROTECT OUR CHILDREN. Do your job government.
I write letters. I make phone calls. I vote. I vote with my money.
I email trump at the White House EVERY SINGLE DAY.

What will end this massacre of our innocent, law abiding citizens?
What will save our children?
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

After the Colton Bushie/Gerald Stanley trial here in Saskatchewan we now have farmers and gun nuts (yes we have some of those) who want to allow farmers to conceal, carry. No way!!

We have no guns in our home and while I do know members of our family use rifles and shot guns for hunting, everything is locked up the way it should be.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Mrscreative wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:34 pm In many ways I am not a liberal. I think Justin Trudeau has been a little reckless in his spending and I do not approve of the use of recreational marijuana. I know a lot of Canadians have concerns about the number of Syrian refugees allowed entry, but the ones that have come to our city have been nothing but a credit. After only one year most are already gainfully employed and one family here has already opened their own restaurant. Their daughter got accepted into the nursing program after less than two years of English and after a 4 year lapse of no education in Syria or Lebanon (where they took shelter). She completed her last year of high school at age 19 then had intensive English training to bring her up to standard. The younger daughter has already received an academic achievement award in high school for outstanding marks and is a value player on the junior basketball team. Granted this was a family who was privately sponsored by a church and they received untold support from church members in every aspect. I only think abortion should be allowed as a last resort, within the early months of pregnancy. I certainly do not approve of it as birth control when there are so many other means available. But if a woman gets raped or if her life is endangered while pregnant such as would be the case in an ectopic pregnancy then I feel differently.

I think in the U.S. many conservatives voted for Trump because of his positions on abortion and immigration. Granted I think immigration is a more pressing problem in the U.S. than Canada. I do think Justin was reckless when he stated that any illegal immigrants in the States would be welcome in Canada. I don't think anyone wants people with criminal backgrounds or ties to terrorist groups, no matter what their race or religion in their country But how some Americans can overlook his appalling attitude and treatment towards women, and the way he treats the FBI is mind boggling. Not to speak of his constant egotistical, self praising behaviour! I think Sarah Huckabee Sanders has the worst job in the world!
Creative, almost all the refugees that have come to Canada in that first wave are gaimfully employed. I don't know of one family that isn't here in my province.

Those that are crossing the border are a bit harder to know about. However I did watch a documentary awhile back where they were speaking to various government departments and the RCMP. What doesn't seem to make the news is that at the time of the interviews about 6000 had been processed and 800 of those had been deported back to the US. Also, they are screened as they come in and many are turned away due to a criminal record. But this would not sensationalize the news so it isn't reported.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/